Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Indie Wrestling

From Parts Unknown... clayholio's Avatar

LLUSA Season 2, Week 2.

Fun fact: last week's show was watched by only 64,000 people, and yet they have a toy line that's actually in stores. Well done, LLUSA!

Treachery comes out, Lizmark announces he's having a painting done of himself, and Rellik/Sydistiko issue an open challenge.

Treachery (Rellik/Sydistiko) vs. Magno/'Azucar' Rocky Romero

Paul London looked a lot better in this match than he did last week. Having said that, I didn't think much of Rocky Romero - when he and Rellik were working together, their timing was way, way off. Probably the best part of the match was Lizmark sitting ringside, posing for his portrait. I can't remember who pinned who, but I remember Rocky celebrating, so his team must've won.

Post match - Marco Corleone comes out and dumps paint on both Lizmark and his painting.

Pre-match shenanigans - Some dude shows Rebecca Reyes (Reby Sky) video of Tigressa Caliente spiking her drink, which is how she ended up married to Pequeno Halloween. She's kinda mad...

Pequeno Halloween/Tigressa Caliente vs. Mascarita Dorada/Octagoncito

Tigressa (Rhaka Khan) kind of looked pregnant here. Basically, the minis can wrestle, and Rhaka can't. It's about as good as you'd expect. Rebecca Reyes got involved, and one of the minis pinned Tigressa.

Super Nova vs. Petey Williams

A pretty decent match, but also probably a longer match than either guy is used to handling on their own. It showed at times, but still the match of the night. Petey won with the Canadian Destroyer, and he and RJ Brewer beat down Super Nova, then stole his mask. Magno came out to save Nova late, and challenged Petey and RJ to a hair vs. mask match next week.

What I liked: the show has a fun, lighthearted feel to a lot of it. The skits are a little cheesy, but in a fun way. And they do a great job of giving a little background before each match, whether it's a recap video, or a skit that leads into the match, or an explanation of why the people don't like each other. They don't assume that people are watching every show, so they make sure that the viewers are clued in as to what's going on. Even if it feels like training wheels at times, it's also nice to see a company that is overly concerned with making sure you know what's going instead of just having things happen without explanation.

What's not as great: a lot of their wrestlers don't seem like they're used to carrying as much TV time on their shoulders as they're being asked to. The matches are rarely fantastic (which is ok), even with guys who are pretty good.

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    LLUSA Season 2, Week 2.

Fun fact: last week's show was watched by only 64,000 people, and yet they have a toy line that's actually in stores. Well done, LLUSA!

Treachery comes out, Lizmark announces he's having a painting done of himself, and Rellik/Sydistiko issue an open challenge.

Treachery (Rellik/Sydistiko) vs. Magno/'Azucar' Rocky Romero

Paul London looked a lot better in this match than he did last week. Having said that, I didn't think much of Rocky Romero - when he and Rellik were working together, their timing was way, way off. Probably the best part of the match was Lizmark sitting ringside, posing for his portrait. I can't remember who pinned who, but I remember Rocky celebrating, so his team must've won.
    wonder what was up with rocky, he's most likely the best wrestler in that match(i'm not sure who magno is).
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    wonder what was up with rocky, he's most likely the best wrestler in that match(i'm not sure who magno is).
    Maybe I'm just cutting Rellik a lot of slack for having worked in WWE and TNA - their exchanges were a bit awkward. Rellik probably should take some blame for that, too.

Magno is Magno. Luchawiki doesn't say that he's worked for any major companies, aside from some random TNA appearances. He's not bad - he and Super Nova were my favorite luchadors from the first season.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Watching an episode of NWA Mountain State Wrestling. And its pretty sad. There are more people in ring working and outside filming this , than paying fans. I mean theres maybe 8 people at the most sitting in a big rec center. You can see all the empty seats.

The annoucers fake excitement for 3 over weight outta shape guys is pretty funny. I mean there has gotta be 900+ pounds of weight in ring with Ricky Shane , Maestro , and Lance Erikson . The match is so terrible you wonder how long it will last.

We see the little kids who are more interested in running around the rec center playing than watching this.

At this point I have no clue what MSW is wanting to book towards ? 8 people ?
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Watching an episode of NWA Mountain State Wrestling. And its pretty sad. There are more people in ring working and outside filming this , than paying fans. I mean theres maybe 8 people at the most sitting in a big rec center. You can see all the empty seats.

The annoucers fake excitement for 3 over weight outta shape guys is pretty funny. I mean there has gotta be 900+ pounds of weight in ring with Ricky Shane , Maestro , and Lance Erikson . The match is so terrible you wonder how long it will last.

We see the little kids who are more interested in running around the rec center playing than watching this.

At this point I have no clue what MSW is wanting to book towards ? 8 people ?
    That sounds hilarious.

Um...did anyone watch the last RoH TV?
    This week was slightly different, as there were more promos.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That sounds hilarious.
    I've asked my friend , why not try and change direction for the product. The guy in charge won't. Of course I am sarcastic...

"Of course not...you may piss off the 8 paying people who watch this."
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

High Noon report number one.

Hosted by... Jessie McKay? YAY!
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

report on the Wrestling Revolution Project tapings(jeff katz promotion)

Credit to nesbar of the Message Board on F4Wonline.com

This report contains Storyline spoilers and details of the events that took place during the Wrestling Revolution Project.

Tapings – Day One

I’m sorry, but I’m not going to spoil much for you guys. Combination of a) matches are shot out of sequence so I have no clue what match has relevancy to what, b) we didn’t see any backstage segments or interviews, nor will we, so we won’t know what the stories are, and c) Katz was a very cool guy and I don’t want to fuck this up for him. However, I’ll give you a list of info after I start with a MEGA BAD NEWS but follow up with SUPER GOOD NEWS.

MEGA BAD NEWS

NEW JAPAN PULLED PRINCE DEVITT FROM THE SHOW!!!

SUPER GOOD NEWS

Katz felt terrible about the scenario, offered all who were at the show that donated a refund. No one took him up on the offer because we all felt for his scenario. However, since Devitt couldn’t come, he was able to bring in two other guys.

A guy he called “Concrete”:

And some dude named “Chris Hyde.”

Here’s the meat and potatoes of the show:

- There were a bunch of fans mixed in with extras, who essentially followed the fans’ lead when it came to chants. Many of them actually got into the show.

- There were a few PWG regular attendees at the tapings.

- Willie Mack was in the crowd with us.

- We were allowed to chant for whomever we wanted, face or heel, jobber or regular talent. Katz really wanted authenticity.

- We shot in a sound stage with really cool cameras, with matches out of sequence. The lighting is such that it benefits the home viewer and it should be one of the best shot wrestling shows you’ll see.

- We were seated either in rows of chairs outside the ring or on a platform with tables and drinks. There were chandeliers above the ring.

- The ring announcing and voice over work will be done by character actor Keith David (They Live, The Cape, Spawn: The Animated Series), which is really cool.

- All the music for wrestlers and the show itself will be done by the guy that does music for Terra Nova and other network TV scores.

- As mentioned, Lance Storm and Tommy Dreamer are producers but were joined by Christopher Daniels.

- Katz told us that in this world, there is no WWE, no TNA. It’s just this underground wrestling club open to a select few that participate in illegal gambling. Think “Def Jam: Vendetta” but with more class, less hip-hop.

- There are no title belts to vie for. Just a tag team tournament for a big cash prize and a singles tournament, in Katz’s words “like G1 Climax,” for a trophy and big prize money. This way, if there is a season two, he can always start each season fresh with different talent without needing a champion to defend a championship. Also, if there is only one season, the story starts and ends here.

- We had one extra tweak his knee by jumping and slipping through a gap on the platform and one of the enhancement guys got his bell rung by a kick, but otherwise no problems or injuries.

- Today was filled with primarily squash matches with the featured talent going over various NWA Hollywood guys and other locals.

- The few featured bouts taped today were pretty good, WWE style matches.

- Any botched spots were re-shot.

Notes on the talent:

Most of the guys are doing their indy shtick but with a different name. Pearce is still an old school shit-heel but named Ridgeway, Rollins is still a psychopath but is named Murder, Shawn Daivari is still Daivari but named Ferris Gotch, etc. The different characteristics for talent are as follows:

- Colt Cabana’s character is a HEEL. A cocky, failed stand-up comedian known as Punchline. It’s different but good stuff from Colt.

- Babyface Joey Ryan has the pleasure of having Trisha LaFache as his valet. Joey is more interesting as Chase Walker than he is as Joey Ryan.

- Red wrestles in a mask.

- Kevin Matthews is a Hollywood Douchebag that texts while he wrestles.

- Emil Sitoci is a German Nihilist.

- Dr. Luther is a pseudo-Satanic priest (think Mordecai from WWE, but better performed).

- There is an evil stock market investor tag team known as “Satanic and Profitable” aka “S&P” consisting of Sami Callihan and Alex Zikos.

- There is a tag team consisting of Shaun Ricker and Brian Cage-Taylor known as the John-turage (Entourage with two guys named John) that is accompanied by their bodyguard BRICK SHITHOUSE.

- BRICK SHITHOUSE got more chants than anybody except for enhancement talent Dave the Bruiser.

That’s pretty much all from Day One. I’ll let you guys know of anything cool to look forward to after Day Two.

Tapings – Day Two

Today was full of featured or main event matches, including ones in the championship tournament. Don’t expect PWG level matches or ROH styled matches, but all of them have an old school WWE/NWA feel to them with contemporary chants and movesets.

Here are some of the non-spoilery highlights:

- Kenny Omega (known as Scott “Cornerstone” Carpenter) was the major workhorse with the two most exciting matches shot today against Concrete (Masters) and an unplanned chandelier glass explosion with Killshot (Karl Anderson).

- Hyde (Hero) also had some great matches.

- Concrete (Masters) was one of the most over guys there.

- The crowd was loud and proud in all the matches, which really amped up the action.

- MVP dressed and wrestled like Masahiro Chono, but was known as “The Lord of War.” He also uses a great looking STF variation as a finisher.

- We taped a giant battle royal.

There is one storyline spoiler that I’ve been given permission to reveal: Chase Walker (Joey Ryan), the only wrestler with a valet… is gay. He is outed by two heels and will give a promo about it at tomorrow’s tapings. Yeah, on the surface level, it sounds cheap and exploitive. However, the differences are as follows:

1. Walker is the same, never-say-die babyface. He just happens to be gay.

2. He’s not going to wrestle like Goldust or Rico or Billy/Chuck or Adrian Street or wear garish outfits/prance around like a comedy wrestler.

3. Katz’s words, “I want people to know and I want WWE to steal it because I don’t they’ll ever do it right.” Katz just wanted to answer the question “What if Randy Orton/Steve Austin/John Cena were outed as gay?” His view? They’d say, “Yep, I am, so what of it? I can still kick your ass!” So far, none of it feels forced. It actually works.

Bottom line, we’re getting colorful characters, decent matches, and storylines/characters that aren’t total tired archetypes (i.e. Ryan’s gay character, Daivari being a non-Sheik, non-terrorist, just a guy from Detroit Middle Eastern-American). I’m looking forward to tomorrow to see how it all wraps up.

Tapings – Day Three

- I should have been more specific, but Keith David is going to do the ring announcing/voice over but it will be taped later. So he’ll have multiple takes so he won’t be able to screw it up.

- Random celebrity walk-ins for the crowd today included Clarke Duke (Hot Tub Time Machine) and the boy from Spy Kids (all grown up).

- We had a giant multi-man Survivor Series style elimination tag match featuring the majority of the roster.

- Notable bouts before the taping of the finale included Chris Hyde (Hero) vs. Lord of War (MVP), Hyde vs. Killshot (Karl Anderson), and Cornerstone (Omega) vs. Johnny 99 (Gallows).

- The most over guys on the roster were Concrete, Hyde, Walker (Ryan), Cornerstone, Murder (Mike Rollins) and Muncie Magee (Pat Buck).

- We taped the entire final episode in order and it’s structured like a PPV. Lots of quality matches.

- We had to stop taping one match because Omega’s scrotum popped out of his tights.

- Joey Ryan’s follow-up promo after his character’s coming out is probably the best performance of his career.

- Jeff Katz can run the ropes better than Kelly Kelly. I am an eye witness.

- If anything, these tapings are forcing to look into Youtube videos of Mike Rollins and Pat Buck.

Personally, I really hope there is a Season 2. Like I have mentioned, the style of wrestling isn’t like PWG or ROH or etc. It feels like… well, it looks and wrestles like what WWE should be. There is a bit of Americanized puro in Hero, Anderson, and MVP matches but the rest is like going to a great WWE show in regards to in-ring action. All backstage segments are going to be recorded tomorrow, so this is all I can tell you. I had a great time, my voice is destroyed after three days of yelling, and I’m looking forward to the final product.
    bolded the interesting and or funny/cool.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Storm has been hyping this for a month or so now, but he can't actually say anything since he is sworn to secrecy.
    He couldn't be on his normal WO podcast yesterday (shame, i always like his stories) because he was down with those guys, working.
    The most important thing he said was, Lance is doing some of the booking apprently, which means if nothing else, the booking will make sense.
    And god do i want too see something make sense in pro wrestling.

i'm curious as to how they plan to make money, isn't this whole thing going to play out on justinTV??

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

That promotion sounds cooler than I thought it would.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

i'm curious as to how they plan to make money, isn't this whole thing going to play out on justinTV??
    I think the plan is to also run it on places like Netflix too, since they don't have any wrestling shows at all on there (there are a couple of documentaries, and a bunch of WWE DVDS, but no TV shows).

All i recall him saying was he was planning on running it like one of the old terrotories and it wasn't expensive to get or run the tv.
    Didn't have a huge amount of details since he wasn't the one controlling the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    That promotion sounds cooler than I thought it would.
    colt cabana has an awesome gimmick, i bet MVP is having a blast being chono, and joey as the gay babyface thing is original and brave to even try.