Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Indie Wrestling

Hopefully it won't be preempted like it was last week here.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Since its been a week since I posted that ROH review of the 1st episode , I'll just go ahead and post a short deal here.

Good - Tag team wrestling there is very damn good. I loved watching Future Shock , Briscos , WGT , and Kings of Wrestling.

Jay Lethal playing a serious character will take some time to get used to.

Enjoyed the PPV spots they showed and Davey Richards winning and his emotional speech. It really was great to see. I walked away liking how he told his grandfather he had won .

The Bad - Dear lord the annoucing . The annoucing by Kelly and Nigal makes Teney/Tazz look great. Its that bad. Nigal is learning to be a color commentator and can't decide if he's a heel one or not yet. Kevin Kelly by no means should be a annoucer now.

The backstage interviews was his best work and shows that is his role he's best suited for. But play by play...awful.

Overall - Great show and action . The only thing that is hurting it is a new guy learning to be a color commentator and a guy who pretty much sucks in Kevin Kelly.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

From Parts Unknown... clayholio's Avatar

Watched the first episode of the second season of Lucha Libre USA, since I don't get ROH any more.

Rellik/Sydistiko vs. El Oriental/Tinieblas Jr (Rudisimo) - mostly interesting to see how Paul London looked, since I haven't seen him wrestle since his WWE release. Verdict: a bit rusty. His opponents weren't fantastic, either, and that didn't help.

Mini Park vs. Rosetta Park - there was a skit before the match with Park and una chica, who had to read some legal papers to him, since they were written in English. As it turned out, his ex-wife (Rosetta) was upping the child support, and had gotten Mini's restraining order against her undone, which meant that they were going to have a match. It was a lumberjack strap match, and wasn't very good.

Marco Corleone vs. Lizmark Jr. vs. RJ Brewer vs. Charly Malice - LLUSA Heavyweight Championship Match. Best match of the night, but that wasn't saying a lot. Charly Malice (Manson) was okay (although I think he's currently in a Mexican prison right now), RJ Brewer is John Walters of early ROH fame, Marco Corleone is Mark Jindrak from WCW and WWE, and Lizmark is Lizmark.

The highlights of the match were Paul London giving Lizmark a back massage mid-match, and a mystery man helping out Brewer which ended up being Petey Williams. In ring stuff ranged from not so hot (Lizmark seemed unprepared for the match in a cardio sense) to pretty okay (Brewer is pretty good in the ring, and Corleone is WWE-okay).

It was an okay show - the hour flew by. There was a funny bit with RJ Brewer patrolling the border fence, only to have masked luchadors sneaking into the US behind his back, and I was super-happy to see that they're continuing the Pequeno Halloween/Rebecca Reyes story from the first season. Definitely not a can't-miss, but it's kind of fun.

I don't get the hate I see for Kelly on the net. He's certainly not great, but he's a decent enough commentator and always has been, and I'll honestly take him over most of the people in the booth in other companies.

Now granted, I havent actually seen the first ROH episode yet. But he's been fine on the ppvs, and a huge step up from Prazak.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    I recorded it, there's no way I'm getting up at 7 AM on a Saturday for anything!

I read that Paul London took over the Sydistiko character from TJP, so I'm curious to see that.
    gee that will be a hard to notice switch.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Quote Originally Posted by Astonishing X-Fan View Post
    I don't get the hate I see for Kelly on the net. He's certainly not great, but he's a decent enough commentator and always has been, and I'll honestly take him over most of the people in the booth in other companies.

Now granted, I havent actually seen the first ROH episode yet. But he's been fine on the ppvs, and a huge step up from Prazak.
    Mine isn't hate for the guy. Its just a bad job and he doesn't seem to realize , hey I have a new color guy in the booth with me...who really has never done this. So he just takes off and leaves Nigal . The 2 don't have much interplay/chemistry from that 1st episode . Maybe its gonna take time for them to grow.

But I will say this....backstage he's a good interviewer.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

I can see that. And while Nigel has charisma this isn't the first time he's done ROH commentary and he always was kind of off.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Astonishing X-Fan View Post
    I can see that. And while Nigel has charisma this isn't the first time he's done ROH commentary and he always was kind of off.
    Its gonna take Cornette to help them grow as a annouce team. Honestly if they had the money and could do it...I'd get Styles and Callis for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    gee that will be a hard to notice switch.
    Well, yeah, but when you've been off-air for a year and a half, it's not like you've got a fresh look at TJP to compare Paul London to.

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    Well, yeah, but when you've been off-air for a year and a half, it's not like you've got a fresh look at TJP to compare Paul London to.
    true. on a side note paul london hasn't been very good for a long time now. he was crazy over in PWG for his stoner promos but in the ring he's not looked good. generico carried peligro abejas big time.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Quote Originally Posted by lboinyamouf4sho View Post
    true. on a side note paul london hasn't been very good for a long time now. he was crazy over in PWG for his stoner promos but in the ring he's not looked good. generico carried peligro abejas big time.
    I hate to speculate, but I have to believe that if everything was right with Paul London, he'd have a steady wrestling gig somewhere bigger than LLUSA. He was too good at his best to have fallen off that badly that quickly.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/...bute_Show.html

The Sandman appeared in no condition to be wrestling at the Yokozuna Memorial Show in Chester, PA this weekend. Sandman was teaming with Road Dogg BG James and a fan in attendance reports that Sandman was slurring his words, staggering around the ring and making lewd comments towards women, at the family oriented event.

Samu, who organized the event, came out upset and yelled at one of Sandman's opponents to hit him and get some heat. Sandman may have hurt himself as he was holding his shoulder on the way backstage, after Samu had to come out and get him. James ended up leaving the match with a disgusted look on his face.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/Vide...K_His_Son.html

-- Ring of Honor announced on Thursday that California wrestler TJ PErkins has signed with the company. Jim Cornette had this to say about the signing:

"It's a great asset to have TJ Perkins under the ROH banner. There are few men as well traveled, as well seasoned, especially at such a young age, as Perkins and that experience is going to serve him well here in Ring of Honor. There's not too many men who can match him for speed and technique, so the ROH roster is certainly in for a shake-up with TJ now part of the fold."

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/Vide...K_His_Son.html

-- Ring of Honor announced on Thursday that California wrestler TJ PErkins has signed with the company. Jim Cornette had this to say about the signing:

"It's a great asset to have TJ Perkins under the ROH banner. There are few men as well traveled, as well seasoned, especially at such a young age, as Perkins and that experience is going to serve him well here in Ring of Honor. There's not too many men who can match him for speed and technique, so the ROH roster is certainly in for a shake-up with TJ now part of the fold."
    good for TJP. since his falling out with gabe DGUSA and evolve were out of the picture so RoH should provide him with steady work. i just hope he's still able to work dates in PWG.

First ROH match of the night coming up next.