Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: The Spider Weaves his Web at Dynamite

Following yesterday's announcement of The Shadow coming to Dynamite, the publisher today announced the addition of the David Liss-written "The Spider" to its stable of licensed characters.

Full article here.

Whats with Dynamite taking all of Moonstone's licenses?

I don't like the look Dynamite has for the Spider. Where is the fright wig and fangs?

I do like the art though.
    Last edited by MikeM; 08-18-2011 at 08:29 AM.

BANNED

I'm way more interested in this than the Shadow. (He was always a wussy compared to the Spider ;)) I'm hoping they do avoid the serial's web costume tho. It was never in the pulps, which were fairly faithfully adapted by Moonstone. The serial was awful even by pulp standards, and best left to history. Like the Shadow & Doc Savage, the Spider's original pulp novels are still being reprinted and are sold thru Diamond. People should definitely check those out, especially the Spider.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Two magical words...David and Liss.

I'm on board.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    STORM #1...(W) Greg Pak (A/CA) Victor Ibanez. July 2014.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i'm really excited because The Spider is one of my favorite pulp heroes.

A collection of the Eclipse minis that Tim Truman did would be pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Whats with Dynamite taking all of Moonstone's licenses?

I don't like the look Dynamite has for the Spider. Where is the fright wig and fangs?

I do like the art though.
    The look is an adaptation of his serial look which was far different from how he was described in the pulps. He also looked different on the pulp covers than from the inside pages. I always tended to think of him as he looked on the covers myself.

Looks like they are transplanting him to the present day. Which can work, I think much of what made the pulp crime-fighters like the Shadow and the Spider appealing, we have the same conditions today: racism and class inequality, the wealthy getting wealthier while the poor are getting poorer, wars and instability overseas, wealthy criminals getting off with slaps on the wrist.

David Liss is a good writer and captures the pulp era well. The Spider is even trickier to capture correctly by modern writers than the Shadow though. Both seem to have the problem that modern writers cannot get past the violence and the Spider is even moreso than the Shadow. But, Norvell Page wrote the character of Wentworth and the Spider as one of intense passion in everything he did. It was his passion of empathy for his fellow man, for the endangered innocents and the hatred of the crooks that cops could not touch through their cleverness, audacity or just ability at working the system that drove him to meet steel with steel at great personal risk. He operates in a world where the common gangsters are along the lines of Hitler and Stalin and can be opposed by one man if he's daring enough. There seems to be an inability of many to really grasp that, only seeing the extreme violence and portray the character as being one of questionable sanity. Once you start questioning his sanity, you really lose what the character is supposed to be about.

tres cool! another title to fit in -and another book to drop for it :)-

"The Spider weaves?..."
    [There's a place in my mind.The one part that isn't looking for a joke.When laughter breaks down, and humor can't quiet its hunger,the rage gets out]-Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    [The Spider operates in a world where the common gangsters are along the lines of Hitler and Stalin and can be opposed by one man if he's daring enough. There seems to be an inability of many to really grasp that, only seeing the extreme violence and portray the character as being one of questionable sanity. Once you start questioning his sanity, you really lose what the character is supposed to be about.
    I totally agree. The Spider is not insane. He is a sane man willing to take crazy risks to restore order to an insane world.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

ouch...is this what the original character looked like ? Heard so much about him that I'm kinda disappointed. The context of his adventures seems really interesting though..
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Quote Originally Posted by ian33407 View Post
    ouch...is this what the original character looked like ? Heard so much about him that I'm kinda disappointed. The context of his adventures seems really interesting though..

No, this is not what the character looked like in the pulps. He did look like this in the serials though. Which looked horrible (as I have posted in other forums today).
    His original look is awesome.

http://www.thepulp.net/the-links/the...e-real-spider/

I picture him pretty much like this:

http://martinpowell221bcom.blogspot....-brereton.html
    Last edited by MikeM; 08-18-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: just realised the Spider is my freaking avatar!

(see blimps in preview art = sigh of relief )
    also preview art is niiiice.
    I don't mind the costume personally.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    No, this is not what the character looked like in the pulps. He did look like this in the serials though. Which looked horrible (as I have posted in other forums today).
    His original look is awesome.

http://www.thepulp.net/the-links/the...e-real-spider/

I picture him pretty much like this:

http://martinpowell221bcom.blogspot....-brereton.html
    thanks, actually I do like a lot Dan Brereton' version.
    I remember an old Stan Lee' preface, about the creation of Spider-Man, and he quoted The Spider as an influence (with a ring that leaves a mark to his enemy) he seemed very scary. There's something to find between the original and Ross' design, and what Brereton did fits the character IMHO; I'd just get rid of the cape I think.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

I'm out of the loop as far as knowing this character but that concept design is really cool. Not really a fan of the photo-comics unfortunately as the scenes all feel staged in a theater as opposed to really taking place outdoors.

I knew the appearance of Dynamite's Spider was bound to cause controversy, but I'm glad they're basing the look on the movie serial version (which, although toned down somewhat from the violence of the pulps, was still a better film adaptation of a pulp hero than say, The Shadow serial).

I always felt that the publishers of the pulp went a little too far in trying to make him look like The Shadow on the covers (obviously hoping to cash in on The Shadow's popularity by confusion). Then again, as described in the novels, he looks distinctly unheroic, a hunchbacked, hook-nosed, ugly fanged terror in a fright wig that perfectly fits the description of a pulp VILLAIN rather than a hero. I realize this was intended to "strike terror into the hearts of cowardly superstitious criminal scum", but it simply doesn't play in a medium where you can see the character all the time.

Moonstone's version (they kept the wig and fangs, but lost the hunchback and the ugly, and kept the domino mask and general look of the pulp cover paintings) looked good on the covers, not so good in the interior art. But given that it's taken Moonstone a few years to come out with what amounts to about 10 issues of material, it seems like a good thing to me that Dynamite scooped the license from them. (Although it would seem that the loss of The Spider significantly weakens their "pulp universe" concept, The Return of the Originals).

On the other hand, the movie serial version had a distinctive look NOT derivative of The Shadow (and which prefigured the look of Spider-Man). And given that Dynamite has now acquired both The Shadow and The Spider, it makes perfect sense that they should want them both to look as visually distinctive as possible. Obviously, The Shadow's look wasn't going to change, since it's too well known. The important thing is that writer David Liss follows Norvell Page's conception of the character from the pulp novels.

I would speculate that they probably will opt to keep The Shadow set in the 1930s, while they are updating The Spider to the present. Maybe they'll even team up The Spider with Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, and The Shadow with Matt Wagner's Green Hornet Year One!!! That would be sweet.
    Last edited by positronic1; 08-19-2011 at 04:00 AM.