Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Reading the Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics is giving me all kinds of ideas about what strip collections to check out... but it doesn't include any Little King strips. I looked those up on my own yesterday and oh my god every single one has made me laugh! I know that these are all ones posted on the net and that they're likely to be select favorites of whoever put them up - but still: gotta have this book!

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Dawson View Post
    A couple of great reprint projects out by IDW this year. Percy Crosby's Skippy should appeal to fans of Charles Schulz and Doug Wright. Otto Soglow's The Little King is a wonder to behold - fabulous precision engineered cartoon minimalism.

http://www.libraryofamericancomics.com/upcoming/
    Can't wait for Gasoline Alley!
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Just read King Aroo vol 1. First: fantastic. Secondly: anyone else get a real, A.A. Milne vibe from it?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OUKIU...wasThisHelpful

My review of Volume one of their reprint of the silver age superman strips. If you like it maybe click that it was helpful?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

I'm super-pumped that the Library of American Comics will publish a year's worth of Alley Oop strips in the next volume of their essential series.

LAOC is releasing Bobby London's Popeye!

*does happy dance*

I've been fortunate to find the Dick Tracy volumes over time usually at $20 or cheaper. Dick Tracy don't have time for your constitutional rights, yo.
    Maybe one day we'll see omnibus series of Groo, THB and Josie (pre-and the Pussycats).

Just finished the first volume of Titan Book's Flash Gordon series. Incredible artwork, just amazing. Imagine being a kid in the '30s and seeing this expansive, lush, colorful sci-fi/fantasy imagery for the first time! The story was super-simplistic though, but it didn't matter much, as the entire purpose of the strip seemed to be just to give Alex Raymond cool things to draw.

Got quite a few newspaper strip collections for Christmas, and there's a whole lot of cool releases on the horizon. When I read the Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics I bemoaned the fact that there were no Alley Oop collections, and now two companies are releasing them!

I've read that many fans back in the 30s thought that Buck Rogers had better stories while Flash Gordon had better art.
    --
    Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I've read that many fans back in the 30s thought that Buck Rogers had better stories while Flash Gordon had better art.
    Flash Gordon was being drawn by one of the all time great legends. Not really a fair comparison.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I'm eying the old 'Collected Works of Buck Rogers' book. Anyone have that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post
    I'm eying the old 'Collected Works of Buck Rogers' book. Anyone have that one?
    Buck Rogers is the character's name, not a creator. Are you sure that's not the collected works of cartoonist Boody Rogers?
    --
    Rob Allen

Nope, "The Collected Works of Buck Rogers" appears to be a best-of compilation originally published in the '60s and reprinted several times in the intervening decades. I think it has a introduction by Ray Bradbury.

Nope, "The Collected Works of Buck Rogers" appears to be a best-of compilation originally published in the '60s and reprinted several times in the intervening decades. I think it has a introduction by Ray Bradbury.
    I have a thick paperback version published in the 60s or early 70s that my parents picked up for me at a flea market or garage sale in the 80s. It's a fun read, if you like that sort of stuff, but not the revelatory "wow, newspaper adventure strips were great!" type of thing you'd get from Canniff or Crane.

One page has a nice, big Buck illustration by Murphy Anderson, who drew the strip for a while in the late 40s.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Interesting - I've never seen the book, but it sounds good. I think the title is oddly phrased - it's a collection of works about Buck Rogers, not the works of Buck Rogers. But they're allowed to give books odd titles.
    --
    Rob Allen