Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Crook's art is very Eisneresque in places. And that is a good thing.

looks good, i still love the cover.

Man, another great issue. I had never really thought about the implications of Johan's condition before now, it had never crossed my mind that he is essentially immortal.

I think though that best part of this issue is that for the first time I really don't know how it will end, usually I have some theory or another about the ending(usually wrong) but I don't even have that right now. It's a great feeling.

Man, issue #4 was amazing. Some bad-ass dudes, those Russians.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall View Post
    Man, issue #4 was amazing. Some bad-ass dudes, those Russians.
    They really are. I loved the comment that was made about them, " They're Russian soldiers; they expect to die."

I feel like I'm missing something here.

Why did the first bomb not concern Kate, but the second one did?

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post

I tend to get confused at some point during every arc. I think I've learned to just wait until it wraps and read the whole thing in one go.

And Scott mentions an interview with Mike in The Stranger (my city's local free rag). I rushed out and nabbed up the latest copy, but didn't see anything concerning Mike/Hellboy. So he must have meant this one -

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/b...nt?oid=6989077
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Because she could assume that Johann had escaped the first blast (as it hadn't affected her or the other team members yet) but there's no way he can physically escape the carpet bombing from the Russian jets. His body will definitely be destroyed, and his essence runs the risk of dispersion.

I have a feeling he'll be O.K., though. At least, until the next arc.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

I had a thought that perhaps it had to do with him not being able to escape. I don't remember but I don't think he's been shown to be able to ghost through walls so if the fire bomb the entrance to the mine it'll collapse and he won't be able to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I had a thought that perhaps it had to do with him not being able to escape. I don't remember but I don't think he's been shown to be able to ghost through walls so if the fire bomb the entrance to the mine it'll collapse and he won't be able to get out.
    Well I'm completely not in the story, because I don't have any of the issues yet,
    but the bit from the post I bolded sounds a little too "superhero-comic-logic-y" to me.
    Like to me it seems only the specifiably superhero-comic-y titles or stories would be to be making use of such.
    Whereas other stories will just be to involve letting readers know or show them what needs it.

So I don't know, but it might be you as the reader just couldn't be knowing some stuff yet, because it wouldn't be made apparent or at least not yet? Because it wouldn't be time or opportuitous yet? I mean that could happen, couldn't it?

Is *opportuitous* a word?
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Crook's art is very Eisneresque in places. And that is a good thing.
    I agree. There's definitely some Eisner influence in there. I like that very much indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Well I'm completely not in the story, because I don't have any of the issues yet,
    but the bit from the post I bolded sounds a little too "superhero-comic-logic-y" to me.
    Like to me it seems only the specifiably superhero-comic-y titles or stories would be to be making use of such.
    Whereas other stories will just be to involve letting readers know or show them what needs it.

So I don't know, but it might be you as the reader just couldn't be knowing some stuff yet, because it wouldn't be made apparent or at least not yet? Because it wouldn't be time or opportuitous yet? I mean that could happen, couldn't it?

Is *opportuitous* a word?
    That was my feeling as well, which is why I felt that Kate's fear was that with the exit bombed Johann wouldn't be able to escape.

Hmmm... maybe the exit theory makes sense. But it seems to me that if a tactical nuke is detonated within an underground structure, its integrity would be compromised anyway, thus making his escape difficult or impossible if he really can't 'phase' through things... I'm sure we'll find out in due time!

That said, I really enjoyed the art in this one. Lots of good, gross monsters, and the non-battle scenes also seem to be coming into their own. It has a very "BPRD" aesthetic, which is great from an artist so relatively new to the series.

Also: Wow, Johann just pretty much accepts this suicide mission (for the Russian soldiers) without any qualms. I haven't paid too much attention to his character in recent years, but the next time I read all of this through I need to take a closer look at Johann to see what's changed and when. I feel like in his earliest days he would've refused. Johann is progressing towards being a character I truly dislike (the logic and greater good of his choices notwithstanding) which I always take as a sign of excellent character crafting.

All of this "I'm going to live forever" stuff is fantastically prophetic. Can't wait to see if it turns out to be true or a nice ironic statement before utter annihilation..!

That said, I really enjoyed the art in this one. Lots of good, gross monsters, and the non-battle scenes also seem to be coming into their own. It has a very "BPRD" aesthetic, which is great from an artist so relatively new to the series.

Also: Wow, Johann just pretty much accepts this suicide mission (for the Russian soldiers) without any qualms. I haven't paid too much attention to his character in recent years, but the next time I read all of this through I need to take a closer look at Johann to see what's changed and when. I feel like in his earliest days he would've refused. Johann is progressing towards being a character I truly dislike (the logic and greater good of his choices notwithstanding) which I always take as a sign of excellent character crafting.

All of this "I'm going to live forever" stuff is fantastically prophetic. Can't wait to see if it turns out to be true or a nice ironic statement before utter annihilation..!
    Well, I can't wait to be catching up again.

And on Johann:
    I've always found him to seem sort of "a walking eufemism", because he holds all the cards to being dead except he isn't, eventhough what his life prior to the BPRD would be to enclose he will have lost to death.
    And the containment suit has him seem contained as well as could be, but youknow, waiting for Johann to explode or at least crack like a teapot don't seem like reaching.
    Seeming no wonder he'd be brooding on stuff, either stuff of his own or even within the BPRD.
    So I hope he isn't bombed - 'cause I wanna hear his story, I wanna see whether or not he'd crack or explode on his own account.
    Whether he would be surviving any explosion for consisting of 'aether' or 'soul' and nothing else: I'm thinking he might. Like if 'soul or spirit' would be made of the opposite of anything materialized, then any atmosphericalness wouldn't really be touching him. All he'd need would be to remain himself by not letting any spirit be drifting off or away, which - outside of his containment suit - apparently would take up Johann's focus and concentration?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 12-25-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.