Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: THE BAT SIGNAL: Capullo Tackles "Batman"

THE BAT SIGNAL spoke with "Batman" artist Greg Capullo about tackling DC Comics' Dark Knight, working with Scott Snyder and redesigning the Joker while sharing an exclusive look at art from issue 2!

Full article here.

Here's the best bits:

As those action beats look much much better then the rest of the preview art that's been shown.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Capullo's stuff looks flat out high energy awesome.

Looks very very good. Little worried by how he says he is kinda adapting Synder's writing to the page.

Worry not.

Capullo's a master - I've followed him since his first issue of Spawn (16) to his last (100) 7 years later, through two volumes of his own creation, The Creech, and on to Haunt. His art has improved in leaps and bounds in that time - to the point where I consider him to be easily one of the best in the business right now.

Really looks great. As much as I enjoyed Jock and Francavilla's art on Tec, I think Capullo captures the physicality and tech of Batman in a cooler way. All the acrobatic cycling and Arkham inmate fighting...so cool.

Well Greg clearly went to the Todd McFarlane school of interviewing...take some digs at everyone! But at least he couches it in sarcasm or finishes off a criticism with a well placed, "...but that's cool". He definitely has alot of confidence in himself but, y'know what, IMO he can back it up with his incredible storytelling skills!

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with Batman, and I think that putting him with a calibre of writer that Snyder has shown he is, may help Capullo to even further improve his style, stay relevent, and maybe even tap into some new styles and approaches.

Thumbs up

Because of Greg's art, this will be "BY FAR" the best Batman book come September.

Never really understood the Capullo hate. I mean, he's not exactly the best around, but he's good. A little cartoony, but it's expressive, not distracting. The action is dark and intense but very clear.
    Action Comics, American Vampire, AV: Lord of Nightmares, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Batwoman, The Flash, Prophet, Uncanny X-Force

Conan the Bavarian batnbreakfast's Avatar

I like the art a lot but the whole scene is ridiculous over the top.
    Like Michael Bay's dream of Batman.

What is the meaning of the two small panels right before Batman crashes
    through the glass? Is it meant to slow the reader's eye down, building up
    tension or is it Capullo's trademark?
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-12-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typo

I was a bit apprehensive about the art coming on to the title because it's different than what I'm used to(I've been spoiled by those on B&R) but Mr. Capullo has won me over. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Animal Man, Aquaman, Astro City, Batman + B&, Earth 2, Flash, Green Arrow, GL + GLC + GL:NG + RL, JL + JLA, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman
    All-New X-Men, Avengers + Young, Guardians of the Galaxy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Capullo's stuff looks flat out high energy awesome.
    Heck Ya!!!!

Default So depressing

"Well Greg clearly went to the Todd McFarlane school of interviewing...take some digs at everyone! But at least he couches it in sarcasm or finishes off a criticism with a well placed, "...but that's cool". He definitely has alot of confidence in himself but, y'know what, IMO he can back it up with his incredible storytelling skills!"

Who did I dig at or criticize? I made accurate observations. I LOOOVE Finch's work--always have. And, he draws Bats like a contest ready bodybuilder spray painted gray which looks very cool.

I hate when people make it out that I'm somebody that I'm not. And, yes, I'm very confident. and, when you're confident in yourself you don't need to cut others down. I don't do that. Maybe I'm simply not enough of a Politician. I talk to everyone like I would if you're sitting in my living room and have known me your whole life.

I'm as real as it gets in the biz.

Now I'll wait and watch THESE words get twisted.

Sheesh

Greg

Default As for all of the questions...

When you actually read the story, more things that you're seeing will make sense.

Greg