Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Just wanted to say that I ordered the first trade last friday after hearing the great buzz about the series, and that I'm really looking forward to reading it.

I also picked up the 1st volume trade the other day. Then again I got it for $5 because borders is ditching everything for about half off. In any case, I look forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Statham View Post
    Just wanted to say that I ordered the first trade last friday after hearing the great buzz about the series, and that I'm really looking forward to reading it.
    Exactly bought the first trade cant wait to read it

Hey Nick! So why are the Glories always wearing red uniforms, while the rest of the students are always in blue? Is it just to make them stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by FanBogle View Post
    Hey Nick! So why are the Glories always wearing red uniforms, while the rest of the students are always in blue? Is it just to make them stand out?
    I'm not Nick, but I can answer this. They wear those uniforms because they're the new students--kind of the 'freshman' uniform.

I love this book! My favorite issue so far has been #6, I love Julie, please tell me we get to see her again soon.
    This is really cool--you don't usually see this kind of reaction regarding issue 6. haha. That one was one of my faves. I think it's safe to say we'll see Julie again.
    Joe Eisma-Morning Glories Artist
    Supajoe.com Devart Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Supajoe View Post
    I'm not Nick, but I can answer this. They wear those uniforms because they're the new students--kind of the 'freshman' uniform.

This is really cool--you don't usually see this kind of reaction regarding issue 6. haha. That one was one of my faves. I think it's safe to say we'll see Julie again.
    Thanks Joe! Love your artwork by the way... but especially what you did in #6, another reason why it's one of my favorites. Possibly just because it takes us outside of the Academy for the majority of the issue, I really loved the art in #10 for the same reason, it lets us see your skill at backgrounds that aren't classrooms or dorms.

Also looking forward to seeing your work in the 3rd arc... lots and lots of trees I hope. Keep up the good work!

Got the trade yesterday and read it in sections whilst sending off some job applications and what not - I was really impressed. I think this might be one of the best books I've read since I first came back to comics with the Vaughan/Alphona run on Runaways back in about 2003 or so, I think. There's a great quality to the dialogue that actually makes them feel like teenagers, whereas I think in a lot of books, especially superhero ones, a lot of them just speak like adults or whatever. So that was fantastic.

I can't really say I echo some of the suggestions I've seen that it's difficult to differentiate some of the characters. Design-wise, I enjoy the fact that they all wear uniforms, but they're still visually distinct. It's like playing through Persona 3 - All the characters wear similar uniforms, given they're high-school age, but they all tweak the outfit in distinct ways to make it their own. And I got the same sense of that from this.

Story-wise, I can see why it's compared to the Prisoner, a lot. Casey seems to give off a very Number Six-esque vibe, but I was particularly intrigued by the fact that she knows a bit about the Academy before she even arrived; Though I'm probably way off-base, it reminded me of the notion that McGoohan playfully suggested about the show, Number Six's presence in the Village, and the arrangement and pacing of dialogue in the Prisoner's opening sequence. That Number Six was actually Number One, possibly, and that the Village was a prison of his own making, or that he had actually created the Village and was testing it - the dismissal of each Number Two being that they couldn't quite make the grade for Number One, who is actually just testing their ability to break him as Six.

As I say, I'm probably way, way off in imagining that MG will be in any way similar to that theory, but I enjoy a book that makes me think of such things without being pompous or overbearing. Can't wait for Volume 2.
    Last edited by Statham; 08-25-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks Joe! Love your artwork by the way... but especially what you did in #6, another reason why it's one of my favorites. Possibly just because it takes us outside of the Academy for the majority of the issue, I really loved the art in #10 for the same reason, it lets us see your skill at backgrounds that aren't classrooms or dorms.

Also looking forward to seeing your work in the 3rd arc... lots and lots of trees I hope. Keep up the good work!
    Hey, thank you! I did enjoy 6 primarily for getting out of the school. haha. But, I'm really never bored on this series--Nick's real good about changing locations enough to keep me on my toes. and 10 was a highlight for me as well--the dream sequences were a blast!

The next arc is gonna be craaayyy--zeee!

Statham--your kudos are much appreciated! With the kids' uniforms--you're spot on about how kids tweak uniforms to make themselves unique. What I'm trying to do is have the cast have a different, or tweaked look from arc to arc. Don't want to do it issue to issue, though, so we don't run into any continuity errors. This third arc, they'll be in their P.E. uniforms--but they'll all still kind of have their own vibes to them.

Great thread, guys. =) I've got first prints of the entire run so far, but I've only read them once. I'll put them at the top of my read pile. I remember I had a few questions when I was first reading through them. I think #11 answered a number of them, though. =p
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake

I love Morning Glories and I tip my hat to both Nick & Joe for the A+ work on this.
    Support indie writers and artists, buy The Gathering, read the Grayhaven web comics: http://www.grayhavencomics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    Great thread, guys. =) I've got first prints of the entire run so far, but I've only read them once. I'll put them at the top of my read pile. I remember I had a few questions when I was first reading through them. I think #11 answered a number of them, though. =p
    I'd be kinda curious to know what questions you think #11 answered

Question for either Nick or Joe... so we know what Casey's and Jun's last names are, and I guess we can assume that Jade's last name is Ellsworth, but what about the rest of the Glories... is that something you can reveal? Please...

Sorry, one more question for Nick. Do you know when the Morning Glory Days for #11 is coming? I'm waiting with bated breath.

I'd be kinda curious to know what questions you think #11 answered
    It answered who Abraham is for one, he showed up in a few other issues with no other clues at that point.