Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ugdave View Post
    Backing up what Joe said - if you're not reading MGA Study Hall it's almost a required companion if you don't have a group of friends who are reading and dissecting it with you. The amount of time and energy that went into the article on the last issue was incredible, and it was really helpful in breaking down everything that happened.

Honestly, this whole thing reminds me of the Morrison Batman run in that there were so many references and hidden meanings that it took a hivemind to really piece it out together. I don't think that's a bad thing. But I also don't think it's a bad thing if you just don't want to have to work that hard reading comics. Pretty much depends on what floats your boat. Back to the Morrison analogy, those comics were (and continue to be) some of the most complex Batman stories ever told and were NOT light reading. You had to really dig in and many times reference outside material to fully understand what he was laying down inbetween the covers. I see this as very similar.

I do feel like this issue helped really solidify the comic in my mind (with the help of the Study Hall article). The concepts are starting to form a figure in the mist, and I can definitely start to see the outline. There's MUCH more to learn and understand, but I'm satisfied with the progression of the revelations.

For me, I wouldn't want all of my comics to be this labor intensive to read, but I definitely enjoy having one or two of these types of titles in my pull. You get a richness and "replay value" that you don't get from shallower titles.

Thanks for this post, Dave! Very good points. These kinds of complex stories are always a gamble, but I know that's what made me really enjoy books like The Invisibles. You're (hopefully) rewarded for rereads and can discover new clues and hints.
    Joe Eisma-Morning Glories Artist
    Supajoe.com Devart Twitter

Much as I wanted to double-dip, I'll only be buying the hardcovers. Good thing they seem to come out very soon after the two TPBs they contain.

Sooo... any info when the second HC comes out? Judging by the publication date of the first, it should be soon after #25 i.e. February-March, but I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.
    Last edited by passer-by; 10-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    I don't know what to consider canon anymore :(
    Comicmofo
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post17765682

Guys, I love the book. Seriously. But this whole tower of Babel bit was full on annoying.

I'm all for convoluted plots and wheels within wheels, but this was just ridiculous. I did my time with unrelated linguistic narratives doing Joyce in uni.

Had I not found the translations here just now, this would have been the last issue I grabbed.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

I cant wait to read this book I am picking up the hardcover for my birthday. I was attracted to this book due to the wide cast, and the rich mythology that's being built

Quote Originally Posted by WolfOfMibu1991 View Post
    I cant wait to read this book I am picking up the hardcover for my birthday. I was attracted to this book due to the wide cast, and the rich mythology that's being built
    Cool! Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supajoe View Post
    Yeah, I was sure the pitchforks and torches would be out after that particular sequence in this issue. I definitely recommend checking out Multiversity's latest Study Hall--Matt really bent over backwards going in depth on this issue: http://multiversitycomics.com/column...hall-issue-22/
    Thanks for the link, exactly the sort of discussion I've been looking for.
    Meh!

I don't know why I have not asked this yet but does anyone know who runs the MGA twitter accounts? I mean, why make one for the Cylinder? I have a feeling that Zoe's Ghost might be entertaining though.

I decided to cut down on some other titles to be able to buy the first three TPBs - the first two for a friend (already ordered the first HC for me). Then the fourth TPB, the second HC and so on. So I will be double-dipping after all. ;)
    That way the series will have two more fans - me (in HCs) and a friend of mine (in TPBs after I get the corresponding HCs). The prices are affordable and the book deserves it.

Any info on when TPB 4 and HC 2 come out?
    Last edited by passer-by; 11-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I don't know why I have not asked this yet but does anyone know who runs the MGA twitter accounts? I mean, why make one for the Cylinder? I have a feeling that Zoe's Ghost might be entertaining though.
    I know of one person who runs one of the accounts, but they've sworn me to secrecy (it's not anyone on the creative team). I think they're funny!

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    I decided to cut down on some other titles to be able to buy the first three TPBs - the first two for a friend (already ordered the first HC for me). Then the fourth TPB, the second HC and so on. So I will be double-dipping after all. ;)
    That way the series will have two more fans - me (in HCs) and a friend of mine (in TPBs after I get the corresponding HCs). The prices are affordable and the book deserves it.

Any info on when TPB 4 and HC 2 come out?
    Oh, cool! Thanks! Trade 4 will be out shortly after issue 25 is out (so early next year) and the second HC I imagine would follow shortly thereafter.

I'm new to this board, although not to this book. Before #23 comes out, I just have to ask a question about a particular scene in #22: is the image of the kids' crawling up the boulder-strewn staircase of the Sumerian tower in fact a visual shout-out to the album cover of Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy? And if it is, is this in a turn a joke, in the form of a salute to those pioneers of school-kid time travel, namely Bill and Ted? Near the end of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, when Bill and Ted are delivering their oral history report describing the famous people they met during their time travels (and then brought back to the present in their temporal-portal phone booth), Bill (Keanu Reaves) describes ancient Greece in the time of Socrates as "a time when much of the world looked like the cover of the Led Zepellin album Houses of the Holy." Bill (Alex Winter) adds: "We were there. There were many steps and columns. It was most tranquil." Socrates then steps forth to "philosophize" (in Greek) to Bill, Ted, and their history class. Now, since the art in issue #23 showing the kids as they make their way up the staircase certainly does bring to mind the album cover for Houses of the Holy, and since Bill and Ted were time traveling from their high school long before the Glories did, and since the story of "Plato's Cave" (which MGA has materialized and uses as a time portal) is actually an allegory on the perception of reality that Socrates invented and taught to his pupil Plato, is this all an in-joke? It's a pretty good Easter egg, if that's in fact what we're seeing here!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'm new to this board, although not to this book. Before #23 comes out, I just have to ask a question about a particular scene in #22: is the image of the kids' crawling up the boulder-strewn staircase of the Sumerian tower in fact a visual shout-out to the album cover of Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy? And if it is, is this in a turn a joke, in the form of a salute to those pioneers of school-kid time travel, namely Bill and Ted? Near the end of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, when Bill and Ted are delivering their oral history report describing the famous people they met during their time travels (and then brought back to the present in their temporal-portal phone booth), Bill (Keanu Reaves) describes ancient Greece in the time of Socrates as "a time when much of the world looked like the cover of the Led Zepellin album Houses of the Holy." Bill (Alex Winter) adds: "We were there. There were many steps and columns. It was most tranquil." Socrates then steps forth to "philosophize" (in Greek) to Bill, Ted, and their history class. Now, since the art in issue #23 showing the kids as they make their way up the staircase certainly does bring to mind the album cover for Houses of the Holy, and since Bill and Ted were time traveling from their high school long before the Glories did, and since the story of "Plato's Cave" (which MGA has materialized and uses as a time portal) is actually an allegory on the perception of reality that Socrates invented and taught to his pupil Plato, is this all an in-joke? It's a pretty good Easter egg, if that's in fact what we're seeing here!
    Whoa--interesting! Well, visually, climbing the steps is meant to echo the steps of Mayan ruins. They're pretty steep and not in the best shape. I like that Houses of Holy comparison, though!

I shall be picking it up I assure you. But I may not be able to get to the shop tomorrow evening.

Got the first hardcover, about to start reading it tomorrow. At least I will have time to catch up :)Do you know if Hardcover #2 will have #13-#25, since it's labeled as the Season One Finale? Skimmed some pages and it looks wicked beautiful and an absolutely crazy ride. I can't imagine how crazy a season finale will be when I catch up!
    Last edited by SediarSago; 12-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.

I just downloaded #23 from Comixology and gave it what will surely be only the first of several readings I shall conduct over the next few days. My initial reaction is that it lived up to my expectations (and, perhaps surprisingly, to at least some of my anticipations). Splendid stuff!