Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default bring on the haters!

I was mildly excited about this book before reading the posts. Now, after seeing all the negative reactions to Miles, I'm really excited about this book!

I'm sure Bendis will incorporate these haters into his writing for the book. Imagine characters like Nick Fury, Kity, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, and MJ going "WTF!"--disgusted--in reaction to Miles. What will Miles have to do to win over the haters? or will he just shrug them off? Imagine Cap's reaction. He will almost for sure be a little stand-offish to the idea of a new Spider-Man. Bring on the drama! Bring on the adversity!

Quote Originally Posted by JusMe6 View Post
    I was mildly excited about this book before reading the posts. Now, after seeing all the negative reactions to Miles, I'm really excited about this book!

I'm sure Bendis will incorporate these haters into his writing for the book. Imagine characters like Nick Fury, Kity, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, and MJ going "WTF!"--disgusted--in reaction to Miles. What will Miles have to do to win over the haters? or will he just shrug them off? Imagine Cap's reaction. He will almost for sure be a little stand-offish to the idea of a new Spider-Man. Bring on the drama! Bring on the adversity!
    The part that scares me is that Jonah will once again become Anti-Spider-Man. This time, however, it will be out of respect for Peter Parker rather than ignorance, but still he might not like the idea of someone out there slandering Peters' good name. He loved Peter, in Peters' final days, and I never want to see this Jonah change (especially to revert to his original self).

Elder Member

I actually think Jonah will support Miles as his second chance.

there's a dvd called "looking for superman" talking about the subject of school lottery.
    Last edited by g.l.; 08-09-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Elder Member

"Waiting For 'Superman'" and that was a damn good documentary.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    They're either embittered fan boys or racists.
    Everyone seems to be claiming its racism for not liking the changes it's not.

Marvel's taken one of its most iconic characters a character that's been proven to work time and time again in different media and undermined the entire identity of the character, all in favour of "experiment" and "change" to reach (as Breevort put it) the zeitgeist of today for ethnic diversity.

It's a very dangerous idea and it rubs a lot of fans the wrong way. Peter Parker is not interchangeable. Don't call it racism.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    I'm often very critical of Marvel and their employees whenever they do or say something very stupid. However, when they do something right or say something smart and right (like in the quote from Brevoort I posted), I have to give them major props. This is one of those times. So to Brevoort I have to say quoted for the ever lovin bashful blue eyed idle of millions truth.
    I have to agree. Tom Breevort is the only one at Marvel who clearly underlines that unique Marvel sense of heroism in their new character and that's what's important, no matter how much this connects to the zeitgeist of ethnic diversity he doesn't shy away from.

In other words, while Quesada talks about the need for coming up with a radically different Spider-Man, one who answers to people with non-white origins like himself, Breevort is the one saying that race is a "fad" issue at the moment, but they are working hard to make sure this character stays true to the form and that Brian Bendis has written characters of different ethnic origins as well.

And I say good for him. Now, if only Pichelli wouldn't have said they're building up a new "black" Spider-Man, because it just reinforces the racial difference too and not the character difference.

(The big thing for me, though, is that while other heroes and The Bugle should be around in the background, I do NOT want to see this new Spider-Man running into the other students from Peter's school or Aunt May or any of those because it just reinforces the replacement rather than the individual identity at least anything beyond the immediate reaction.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    I have to agree. Tom Breevort is the only one at Marvel who clearly underlines that unique Marvel sense of heroism in their new character and that's what's important, no matter how much this connects to the zeitgeist of ethnic diversity he doesn't shy away from.

In other words, while Quesada talks about the need for coming up with a radically different Spider-Man, one who answers to people with non-white origins like himself, Breevort is the one saying that race is a "fad" issue at the moment, but they are working hard to make sure this character stays true to the form and that Brian Bendis has written characters of different ethnic origins as well.

And I say good for him. Now, if only Pichelli wouldn't have said they're building up a new "black" Spider-Man, because it just reinforces the racial difference too and not the character difference.

(The big thing for me, though, is that while other heroes and The Bugle should be around in the background, I do NOT want to see this new Spider-Man running into the other students from Peter's school or Aunt May or any of those because it just reinforces the replacement rather than the individual identity at least anything beyond the immediate reaction.)
    Brian,
    How has your view on Miles been since his debut as Spider-Man?