Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Cup O' Joe - Aug 5, 2011

With a new face under Ultimate Spider-Man's mask, Marvel CCO Joe Quesada returns with his take on the character's creation and the overpowering public reaction, plus an [em]exclusive[/em] look at the Ultimate Spidey cartoon!

Full article here.

Oh...............my.....................god!
    Joe Q is now trying to take credit for the USM idea!
    What is up with this dude and his Spider-boner?
    If i was Millar i be flipping out.

Now all that said, I want to get into this idea of "stunts." I hear people throw that word around, with respect to Marvel, every time they want to denigrate a story or idea they don't like.
    Didn't you call the Spider-marriage as stunt?
    HA HAAAAAA!!!!
    Last edited by Sighphi; 08-05-2011 at 02:57 PM.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Oh, can you clear it up for me, please? Since you were there, how did it really happen?

Nice interview Kiel. Although it takes a little of the magic away knowing how the creative side of things develop, it was a nice read.

Joe Q's answers regarding publicity, stunts and story development were logical and sensible (and not surprising at all). It'd be nice if folks stopped questioning the motives of the folks who are responsible for some of their favorite stories and characters though.

BANNED

I can't even be bothered to comment on how inane I find this man.

What I do want to comment on is that it seems we get a whole 4 months before the next event. Woo hoo!!!!! Marvel is just pure hype and marketing now. Quality stopped being seen as a draw a long time ago and this is what we end up with.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post

What I do want to comment on is that it seems we get a whole 4 months before the next event. Woo hoo!!!!! Marvel is just pure hype and marketing now. Quality stopped being seen as a draw a long time ago and this is what we end up with.
    Oh lighten up, Miss Mary Sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    And yet you still typed this post

My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Joe Q's answers regarding publicity, stunts and story development were logical and sensible (and not surprising at all). It'd be nice if folks stopped questioning the motives of the folks who are responsible for some of their favorite stories and characters though.
    His discussion on hype and publicity is not surprising given the way he and Tom have talked about it in the past. It is a difficult decision because someone will be unhappy either way.

But his discussion on story development were not. Joe wasn't involved in the start of the Ultimate universe, that was Bob before him. Yet he takes the credit. Just as he's not the editor, nor the writer(s), of these events but takes credit for bringing it all together at his famous summits.

The only one who also gets credit here is Bendis… only for being willing to change his book.

And the worst part is that he defends this because it is a stunt just like every other great moment was a stunt — even though he himself has defended the removal of the Spider-marriage as the erasing of a bad stunt, and the negation of the mutant population as a counter to a bad stunt, and there are a few others out there. You cannot have it both ways, and the unrecognized duplicity of it shows through as another example of why Joe was just bad for Marvel readers.

I'd love to give this new Spider-Man a chance. I think that Marvel could really gain traction on this character IF the Ultimate universe goes completely off of Marvel's history and develops a truly different character of its own.

But to say that Ultimate is where Marvel will be years to decades from now? That it's a testing ground for all future things happening? If that's the case — the real case — then Joe Quesada has just announced the rectifying of the Spider-marriage by having Mephisto send an agent to kill Peter just as he reunites his love with MJ… and get replaced with a hispanic character.

(Oh, and as a side note: Waiting For Superman is a truly shitty film, Joe, that just dumps on teachers and the education system without putting the blame on the rest of society where it ALSO TRULY belongs. A kid's worst failing isn't poor teaching, it's parents too busy to accept their own failings in keeping an eye on the kid and make sure they're doing their homework, etc.)

I'm astonished at how irresponsible everyone at Marvel has been, Quesada included, in talking about Ultimate Spider-Man. They're all framing the issue of Miles Morales as something completely different from what it truly is. Forget race. Forget ethnicity. This is about a trend in Ultimate that has completely killed that series. It's about killing characters and acting as though they can be replaced. That wasn't mentioned at all. It was all "Look! We've made a black Spider-Man! Pay attention to us! Get outraged! Give us some good press!" It's really dishonest and incredibly disingenuous.

The problem isn't Miles Morales. The problem is that he's replacing Peter Parker. And he isn't just replacing him. His whole involvement with Peter Parker is being completely contrived out of thin air. Miles never showed up before in Ultimate Spider-Man. He was never overtly effected by Peter at any point. There was no story showing him establishing himself in the Ultimate universe in the same way that Spider-Woman or Ben Riley had done. Out of nowhere, Marvel just creates him and the only way they can fit him into the Ultimate Universe is to essentially conjure a story out of absolutely nothing. You couldn't get more contrived if that was Miles's middle name.

I'll cite stories like All New All Different X-men. That was a major change in the guard and it infused diversity into comics. And the original X-men didn't have to be killed in order for it to happen. I tended up being one of the best comics of all time. So why is it that Marvel thinks it's necessary to kill Peter Parker in order for Miles Morales to be Spider-Man? It's completely asinine and shows a level of creative bankruptcy that is completely without excuse.

Joe used the word 'stunt' liberally. This isn't a stunt. It's a gimmick. A bi-racial Spider-Man is a complete gimmick in that they're not focusing on the story. They're just focusing on his race and that's just getting publicity. If Marvel really didn't care about it, they wouldn't have made nearly as big a deal of it. And if Miles Morales was really that good a character then he wouldn't have to leech from Peter Parker in the first place.

It's also worth noting that this is the second time Ultimate has relaunched. The first time after they killed so many great characters in Ultimatum, we had a similar gimmick. We had a replacement Wolverine. We had a replacement Daredevil for a while. We got a replacement Black Widow, a replacement Wasp, and a replacement Giant Man. Is it really that surprising that it didn't do as well the second time around? Now they're relaunching again after yet another big death event in Death of Spider-Man. Yet they have the gall to call this a bold new idea? It's not. It's stupid and it's asinine. John Byrne is right. It is creative bankrupcy. But Alan Moore said it best when he was talking about the DC relaunch, "The entire world of comics seems to me, from what I’m reading in the proper newspapers over here, on the point of collapse. It seems that both of the major companies are going through some rather frantic thrashings as they try to retool their kind of flagging cosmoses by pulling the usual tricks, because, really, I don’t expect them to have any new ones."

I think it's incredibly ironic that Marvel, the company that coined the phrase with great power comes great responsibility, is being so irresponsible. They tried replacing Peter Parker in 616 with the Clone Saga. They tried replacing the many characters they callously threw away in Ultimatum. It's done nothing but lead to more gimmicks. It's a real shame that Ultimate is now the sandbox for dumb ideas like Ultimatum and replacement characters to flourish. Marvel is better than this. In the short term, the gimmick will get people talking. But in the long term, they'll find out that replacement characters and gimmicks don't sustain a series. Changing for the sake of change isn't change. It's stupid. Change is constant, but responsible change is productive change. There's no reason that Miles Morales couldn't have emerged in Ultimate without killing Peter Parker. Marvel did it for the shock value and the gimmick. There's no other way to look at it. They can pretend that it was done for the sake of the story. That doesn't make it any less a gimmick. If they can't see that from the perspective of their fans then they are completely irresponsible. I understand that they have a hard job, trying to satisfy as many fans as possible. But shocking fans and pulling lame gimmicks like this really doesn't work in the long run. New ideas don't have to come at the expense of old stories. Avengers, Gwen Stacy, and all those other stories that were mentioned didn't have to destroy so much to gain so little. In the end, it's irresponsible for Marvel to pull a gimmick like this. Quesada can paint it any way he wants. A gimmick is a gimmick. He and Bendis had great power over a great series and they completely abused it.
    Last edited by MarvelMaster616; 08-05-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Default Venom!

Awesome Venom sketch!
    TheVenomSite.com - An informational site dedicated to everything Venom.

once and future

Ultimate Peter Parker isn't anywhere near 6 feet.

...and that's the only comment I have to make. Quesada knows his spin, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    No he didn't, he said Mark had an idea about it as did he, Mark told him he had an idea and Joe Q said he did too and they talked about it

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

I'm starting to wonder if people understand ONLY what they want to understand. From a writer perspective, killing (Ultimate) Peter Parker where he was is something less mercantile in a place and franchise where everybody dies but is resurrected, and never ages, etc..Quite frankly, it is something I wish I could have seen earlier, and in the main franchise, not the Ultimate. And if someone want to make a point about ethnics, this is also a brilliant move. Once again, Marvel would have impressed me if they had opened the Cap America franchise in theatres with the mini by Kyle Baker (which I friggin' can't grab the name right now) and I don't know why they didn't launched a CAGE ongoing right now as well, which could deal more effectively with socials issues, but if this is something they think they could do trough Spidey, then go-with-it.

Miles Morales jumping out-of-nowhere, this I can understand. But still on a story-telling POV I think that can work for the simple reason to introduce properly the character in his own space and time to reveal afterwhile what we didn't see but was happening. The fact there wasn't cameos is like the fans feel spoiled of the right to bless the character appearance. Marvel doesn't work that way anymore.

This isn't the century' story but that's easily what we could expect from authors like BMB who knows his job, and did it properly.

I ,for my part, am expecting a lot Matt Fraction' DEFENDERS, even if he made me shivering when he quoted FRINGE, and a lot of September' DC titles,

God bless u all,
    et caetera
    Last edited by ian33407; 08-05-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: crucial omissions
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Maybe not directly relevant, but I find it funny how some people dislikes the idea of Miles replacing Peter since he's a completely new character, but they would be okay with Ultimate Miguel O'Hara
    That would be a character just as new as Miles