Page 472 of 515 FirstFirst ... 372422462468469470471472473474475476482 ... LastLast
Results 7,066 to 7,080 of 7713
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Other than the amazing Children of Earth, the only other part of Torchwood that wasn't terrible was the penultimate episode of series 1. Everything else I remembered being terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Speaking of Lake Silencio the Doctor starts to regenerate there after being shot by River Song. But at Trenzalore he's out of regenerations. Anyone want to wrap there head around that one?
    He was a Tessalecta (however you spell that).
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Other than the amazing Children of Earth, the only other part of Torchwood that wasn't terrible was the penultimate episode of series 1.
    Was that the one with the people from the 40s who flew through the rift? That one was great.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Yes, but I think the larger question is, why would the Doctor bother to program the Tessalecta to mimic regeneration? Maybe Eleven wanted a more dramatic "death" for the universe, but also to perhaps fool that version of River Song (the one outside the astronaut suit), who knew all about time lord physiology but maybe wasn't aware of the War Doctor.

Of course, that's just a theory.*

And the simplest explanation is that Moffat simply hadn't conceived of Eleven as Thirteen at that point.

*I think the expanded media said that the Brigadier also received a tardis-blue envelope, but died or was stuck on assignment and couldn't attend. But since it's expanded media, take that however you want.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Yeah I suppose it has to be explained that the Teselecta was mimicking his regeneration energies for theatrical effect(?). Sometimes I just get the feeling that Moffat is pulling things out of his arse.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Yeah I suppose it has to be explained that the Teselecta was mimicking his regeneration energies for theatrical effect(?). Sometimes I just get the feeling that Moffat is pulling things out of his arse.
    Well, any explanation that works in the show isn't exactly mutually exclusive from Moffat doing just that. Sometimes I feel like he's a bit too wrapped up in the Doctor as a fairy tale.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Things I can cope with in a Moffat Dr Who production:
    Poor use of Weeping Angels (grabby grabby in the snow)
    Wooden Cyberman (yeah i'm wood and not sure what I am doing here)
    Comical Sontarin death
    Extremely quick wrap up of the main protagonists right from the beginning of season 5, "a splinter group blew up the Tardis, stole River a regenerating human and used her as a weapon"

What I can't come at is the deus ex machina of an additional regeneration being the only thing the Doctor needed to blow up the Dalek fleet.... WTF was wrong with planet of billions of timelords during the time war? If that was all it took surely after all the other weapons were used a couple of hundred of them could have done the explody/blasty regeneration thing and wiped out the Daleks!

Sure it had some good points in the story but that end was absolutely thoughtless and daft... Unless someone can explain that something different happened to what I think I watched?
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    So it wasn't just me who wondered why The Doctor kept dropping Clara off at Rose's place.

Do you think that was deliberate--as a kind of nod (it wouldn't be an unusual coincidence)? Or do you think it was simply a shortage of locations?

Living in Vancouver, I've gotten used to seeing the same location used in hundreds of TV shows and hundreds of movies. On the other hand, in real life I've encountered the coincidence where you meet someone you didn't know before who lived in the exact same building or worked in the exact same street as you. Truth being stranger than fiction.

So thanks to the past couple of posts, I had to look up that scene at Lake Silencio again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Z-8FKN_lw

I'm surprised how much the actual regeneration itself and the music are repeated in Night of the Doctor with Eight's regeneration, but knowing what I know now, it's comical that the ethereal, angelic chorus gets cut off when Eleven gets shot again.

So does this make sense to anyone for the Doctors regenerations?

1st Doctor - William Hartnell
    2nd Doctor - Patrick Troughton - 1st Regeneration
    3rd Doctor - Jon Pertwee - 2nd Regeneration - forced by the timelords 'cause they were grumpy
    4th Doctor - Tom Baker - 3rd Regeneration if I remember it was really touch and go if it was going to work
    5th Doctor - Peter Davison - 4th Regeneration
    6th Doctor - Colin Baker - 5th Regeneration (this could and should have been brilliant)
    7th Doctor - Sylvester McCoy - 6th Regeneration
    8th Doctor - Paul McGann - 7th Regeration (nearly foiled by human interference and now half human LOL)
    9th Doctor - John Hurt - 8th Regeneration / Warrior (had a second chance from the Sisterhood of Karn)
    10th Doctor - Christopher Eccleston - 9th Regeration
    11th Doctor - David Tennant - 10th Regeneration
    12th Doctor - David Tennant and his handy hand - 11th Regeneration
    13th Doctor - Matt Smith - 12th Regeneration apart from that thing that nearly happened on the beach and the other thing where the Doctor healed some of Rivers wounds with his regeneration power
    14th Doctor - Peter Capaldi 13th Regeneration

So still missing where the Valeyard fits in.
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

Valeyard was from a "possible future", IIRC, so he just doesn't exist in this universe.
    Loo's Views: My Blog - Now being updated (at least occasionally!)

ZeroLife: And now listen to the podcast that embraces old and new games alike!

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    I've been reading what people like Si Spencer have been saying about this on their Facebook, and he's saying what many have been saying that the programme has become too focused on pandering to the core fanbase when what made the new series successful was the way it appealed to a large audience. Under Moffat it's shed some of that appeal since it stopped being about people as opposed to Big Plot Developments.

For example, what do we know about Clara. She's the Impossible Girl as Moffat keeps mentioning but who is she? It's only in the last two episodes that Moffat's realised that he needs to give her a life beyond the vast brush strokes he's painted her with to make her more than the plot device she's been up til now. why should we care about what happens to her if we don't know her as a character?
    This is indeed one area where I've noticed a big difference between Davies and Moffat. One thing I really enjoyed about Who under Davies is that, no matter who the companion was, you got to know her family as well. This, in turn, helped us to know the companion better.

We only saw Clara's family for the first time in the Christmas Special and it was little more than a cameo at that. I loved the addition of Rory's dad but, regrettably, we only met him near the end of Rory's final series. Amy's parents were restored to reality for her wedding but we never saw them again after that.

Amy and Rory's characterization came through fairly well despite all this, in part because of the way they played off each other. On the other hand, I still feel distant to Clara after all this time because we don't really know much about her.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    No your numbering is wrong. Peter Capaldi was introduced as the 12th Doctor. You're confusing Doctors and regenerations.

3rd Doctor - Jon Pertwee - 2nd Regeneration - forced by the timelords 'cause they were grumpy
    4th Doctor - Tom Baker - 3rd Regeneration if I remember it was really touch and go if it was going to work
    6th Doctor - Colin Baker - 5th Regeneration (this could and should have been brilliant)
    8th Doctor - Paul McGann - 7th Regeration (nearly foiled by human interference and now half human LOL)
    War Doctor - John Hurt - 8th Regeneration / Warrior (had a second chance from the Sisterhood of Karn)
    9th Doctor - Christopher Eccleston - 9th Regeration
    10th Doctor - David Tennant - 10th Regeneration - David Tennant and his handy hand - 11th Regeneration
    11th Doctor - Matt Smith - 12th Regeneration apart from that thing that nearly happened on the beach and the other thing where the Doctor healed some of Rivers wounds with his regeneration power
    12th Doctor - Peter Capaldi - A whole new set of regenerations.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Peter Capaldi - A whole new set of regenerations.
    Do we know this for sure? The Time Lords gave him one extra regeneration, but where did it say he got a whole new set?
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Do we know this for sure? The Time Lords gave him one extra regeneration, but where did it say he got a whole new set?
    Because going through this rigmarole every time the lead actor leaves would be really dull and repetitive?

ETA: More seriously, I'm sure Smith said it was a new cycle in his goodbye speech but I could be misremembering
    Last edited by bringthenoise; 12-27-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Loo's Views: My Blog - Now being updated (at least occasionally!)

ZeroLife: And now listen to the podcast that embraces old and new games alike!

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post

9th Doctor - John Hurt - 8th Regeneration / Warrior (had a second chance from the Sisterhood of Karn)
    10th Doctor - Christopher Eccleston - 9th Regeration
    11th Doctor - David Tennant - 10th Regeneration
    12th Doctor - David Tennant and his handy hand - 11th Regeneration
    13th Doctor - Matt Smith - 12th Regeneration apart from that thing that nearly happened on the beach and the other thing where the Doctor healed some of Rivers wounds with his regeneration power
    14th Doctor - Peter Capaldi 13th Regeneration
    You'd have to consider what the Doctor counts and doesn't count as a true regeneration to himself. Eleven was still happy being referred to as, well, Eleven even after his adventure with the War Doctor. And he doesn't count the Metacrisis Doctor as a separate incarnation despite acknowledging the regeneration (or else he'd be in the lineup during his dream). And of course, the Powers That Be also decreed that the official numbering hasn't changed, even after the War and Metacrisis Doctors.