Page 6 of 515 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordEd1976 View Post
    One of the problems for me was the Master showing up out of nowhere. At least Glitz was seen in the first part of the storyline. The Master just shows up out of the blue without any hint that he was around
    Sadly Robert Holmes was ill when he was writing it, and Eric Saward had to piece together the script together which meant a lot of it made no bloody sense.

And then Pip and Jane Baker had to finish it without (legally) being allowed to look at what Holmes had planned in Part 2.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    and it's southern counterpart which tries to raise people out of their class as a person rather than everyone as a whole.
    I know we shouldn't do this here, but the Tolpuddle Martyrs and The Diggers beg to differ.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clarkie View Post
    I know we shouldn't do this here, but the Tolpuddle Martyrs and The Diggers beg to differ.
    I should have said modern.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

And the best companion, it terms of competency, was Ace. Everyone knows that.

I love Ace! One of my all time favorite Companions.I loved her and the Doctor together--she even made the confusing mess that was Ghost Light enjoyable. I hope they bring her back in the show someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I actually watched Survival over the weekend and you're right.
    It is a very common theme throughout literature, certainly dating back to tales such as Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and probably much earlier.

As for Survival itself, I thought it had a great story that was let down by some of the special effects (as per the norm at the time). The Cheetah People looked fake but they would always be hard to pull off with the resources available. McCoy and Ainsley seemed to play off each other rather well.

The only things I didn't like about it were:
    • The jarring inclusion of Hale and Pace.
    • The motorcycle duel seemed really forced.
    • The Doctor's odd way of returning to Earth at the end of his fight with The Master.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Some fans have said that Survival is sort of a proto-new series story. The whole council estate thing, the focus more on Ace's past and family, and I was kind of reminded of Survival by "Fear Her" due to the people vanishing in the midst of regular activities.

It's interesting that the Master's more animalistic state in this is kind of similar to what happens to him in End of Time (At least the first part). Although Simm's master of course had weird powers and stuff, and all Ainley does is get weird eyes and teeth. In both the Master's fate is unknown, although both have him presumabely on a planet about to die.

The cheetah stuff that affects the Master and Ace I believe also continues in the novels, with Ace sometimes manifesting that ability and the Master as well. There's also a visual nod to Survival at the beginning of the TV movie, with the shot of the cat eyes.
    Survival is one of my favorite Who stories EVER!

"When is a cat not a cat? When it builds its own cat-flap."

Classic.
    Love the image of the cat folks atop horses! I know those poor people were hot as hell in those stuffy suits--as seen in the bonus features on the DVD--but they looked incredible!

I wonder if somewhere out there, in some wild alternate timeline, Ace and the Doctor are bumming around time and space as Cheetah People?
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    I should have said modern.
    Now with that caveat, you have a point.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

The Daily Star (that well know factual newspaper which prints facts all the time) is saying the Big Plot of the rest of series six is that Amy's child is not Rory'szzzzzzzz.............
    Last edited by king mob; 08-14-2011 at 04:16 AM.

"We must fight on!"

"We must fight on!"

Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Aww sad music.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Ok, that is just awesomeness... I wish I had thought of that.

There was a BFI screening of Let's Kill Hitler last night, and there's a number of spoiler free reviews knocking around about it, and the presentation by Moffatt afterwards.

That is until you read the Guardian which has an amazingly massive spoiler in this piece so don't click on it unless you want to see a bloody smug journalist spoil it. It really is a horrible piece so again I warn you, don't click on it unless you want something spoiled which was supposed to be a big 'OooOOOOOooooo' next Saturday.

I'm a bit pissed off with the Guardian, as are most of the commentators on the article, however most of the spoiler-free reviews seem pretty positive.

I can imagine Moffatt wouldn't be too happy about that either.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

I just received a Master's Fob Watch in the post. It's rather neat.
    Fob watches aren't worn enough these days.

Obligatory;
    I wear a fob watch now. Fob watches are cool.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"