Page 258 of 515 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 7713

Midnight, it must be said, was a ripper of a story.
    Sadly, for every Midnight there was a Fear Her or a Love and Monsters.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

The 50th anniversary episode is to be made in 3D & also shown in cinemas in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...-50th-birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Super Robo Ape View Post
    The 50th anniversary episode is to be made in 3D
    Well, at least they're spending their limited budget on something important.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
    I like how the Doctor is wearing that blue coat instead of the rainbow colored one. Does this story take place before or after the Wrong Doctor audio?
    But I like the seizure inducing technicolor nightmare coat.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

Oh, have we already heard that the second Doctor Special will be on the 24th?
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who...second-doctor/

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Well, at least they're spending their limited budget on something important.
    Is it not possible that this would have a completely separate budget from the rest of the show.

Is it not possible that this would have a completely separate budget from the rest of the show.
    I would personally prefer if they spent whatever money they do have on the best script, production, effects, etc possible. Things that actually affect the quality of the story and how it's told. Not stupid flashy gimmicks like 3D.

Anyway, I'll live.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 02-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Oh, have we already heard that the second Doctor Special will be on the 24th?
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who...second-doctor/
    I hadn't heard, but this interests me. The only times I've seen the second Doctor are in the Five Doctors and the Two Doctors. Hope I can catch this. I wish they'd reair these specials.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

No, it's not. If it were it would still be have to be part of the budget, unless they simply increased the budget to make it 3D in the post porduction, which means you'll probably be better off watching it on TV.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Midnight, it must be said, was a ripper of a story.
    Sadly, for every Midnight there was a Fear Her or a Love and Monsters.
    Midnight is a great episode! Entertaining & scary every time I re-watch it. I especially love how the monster was never really identified. I was hoping it was going to be part of some bigger plot and wasn't going to be a once-and-done throwaway monster.

Fear Her is one of the few episodes I won't watch a re-run of, I think its that bad.

Love & Monsters does have a few (and I mean few) redeeming qualities. I like the idea of stories that don't revolve around The Doctor or the main companions and Marc Warren who plays Elton is an entertaining actor. The monster called The Hoix (which I don't think is ever identified in a DW episode but instead in a TW episode). I love that monster design and it reappears briefly in the episode The Pandorica Opens. Its funny to see them jamming out to E.L.O., personally I love a good E.L.O. song. Sadly NONE OF THE ABOVE are reason enough to re-watch this badly written and poorly executed episode. I want to like the things it has going for it but just can't bring myself to enjoy it.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Apparently, the 50th anniversary special will be in 3D:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21413511

Sherlock/Who crossover (fan-made, sadly)
    http://doctorwho.tumblr.com/post/428...-who-crossover
    Last edited by blackphoenix; 02-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I hadn't heard, but this interests me. The only times I've seen the second Doctor are in the Five Doctors and the Two Doctors. Hope I can catch this. I wish they'd reair these specials.
    I did see The Aztecs reair once about a week ago. In the middle of the night, obviously.

And I've never seen the Second Doctor except for the Three Doctors. So it will be nice to check him out.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

You poor bastards....because Tomb of the Cybermen is pretty awesome as a story. I must have seen it a hundred times.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So I watched 2 more Doctor Who stories...

Terror of the Autons

The Good - This one starts out as The Master arrives on Earth and decides to put a great plot into action. The Master knows that the Doctor is on Earth and is exiled there. But he is after conquest and feels he can beat the Doctor. He stays a step ahead of him all the time. Roger Delgado who played the 1st Master is so cool. Its a shame he passed away in 1973 because he was the perfect arch-villain to the Doctor and he gave off such arrogant , yet respectful vibes to the Doctor. He respects the Doctor , but wants to kill him at the same time. Very conflicted.

The story also makes sense as it uses the villains that the Third Doctor 1st encountered. The Autons . The Master wants to use the Nestene's to invade. I did love how he used a plastics factory and used his mental power on those weak willed too. He couldn't take over the old man who was over the plastic company like he could his son . But he respects him but has to take him out lol.

Jo Grant also is introduced and is very much the standard companion we know. Of course the Doctor isn't happy as he tells the Brigadier he wanted a fellow scientist like Miss Shaw. But she proves herself to him and eventually he slowly starts to accept her as a companion. Plus it didn't hurt that Jo Grant could trade some barbs with him as well. Mike Yates is another one introduced.

Loved the killer doll spot which is scary as shit to see. I credit them for making it as scary then as they could. Because at the time , with graphics and technology and the budget Who had...to get that to work...was pretty decent.

I loved the ending of this story. The Master realizes the Doctor is speaking the truth that the Nestene's will not care to get rid of him . He knows he will die with everyone and the 2 work together a few seconds to end that potential invasion. The Master sneaks off and uses a disguise that has the plastic factory's son get shot and killed. As the Doctor unmasks him . The Master escapes ...stranded on Earth like the Doctor now.

The Bad - My only nitpick is the Time Lord who shows up in a weird way and warns the Doctor that the Master is on Earth causing trouble. I'd rather have the Doctor discover it on his own and not have them show up. Because it makes you question...so the Doctor can save the Universe countless times and yet the Master can go all over and cause trouble ? WTF ?

OVERALL - A great story and introduction of THE MASTER. RIP Delgado.

The Mind of Evil

The Good - This one is really good and has a very big storyline. Its simple as the Doctor and Jo go to watch a scientist perform the Keller Process using the Keller Machine at Stangmoor Prison . The machine will remove negative impulses from the brain. While watching the machine takes one prisoner's brain and scrambles it , making him a child in essence. The Doctor pleads for the machine to be destroyed.

Professor Kettering claims he can't since he's waiting on Emil Keller who built the machine. Elsewhere the machine starts to cause a death , then a 2nd one. More than ever the Doctor demands the machine be stopped. Along the way you see a female Chinese Soldier assassinate someone under mind control and believe the machine is potentially doing it.

Its only later you learn the MASTER is in fact Emil Keller and he wants to use the machine as part of his plot to get a nuclear warhead and take over the world and he was using his mind power over the Chinese soldier. The plot moves quick as the Master soon takes over the prison and uses the evil machine. He wants the Doctor to beat it and gets scared once he realizes the Doctor may die ! He saves him after one of his hearts stop . The Doctor tells him the machine will kill them both.

The Master's arrogance is one where he believes he can beat the machine. Its only after a trip there where he realizes to his horror....he can't. His worst images in his mind as the Doctor laughs and mocks him. The 2 men have to put the machine in a trap to figure a way to destroy it. They get that done but the Master remains confident and has the nuke.

I did like seeing Mike Yates actually save the Doctor and Jo by leading UNIT to the prison and rescuing them. At the end that scheme by the Master is foiled but he taunts the Doctor , he has the dematerialisation circuit and can leave Earth . The Doctor knows he will cause trouble elsewhere in the Universe. Uh Oh.

The Bad - The prisoner , Barnham who was basically made a child by the machine dies saving the Doctor . You see Jo Grant who really took care of Barnham who was more a grown child now . The Doctor himself got after a UNIT soldier saying he was a true sad case and should be taken care of after what the machine did to him. RIP Barnham.

OVERALL - This one has a bigger overall story as a whole and it swerves you to start in a way. I enjoyed the plot by the MASTER.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.