Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CCI: Hands On with "DC Universe Online: Fight for the Light"

CBR News goes hands on with the power of the Green Lantern Corps in Sony Online Entertainment's upcoming "DC Universe Online" expansion, "Fight for the Light."

Full article here.

Pay for a DLC in a game that you pay a monthly subscription???No wonder DCUO sucks.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Kinda lame that you have to pay for this but this is the first update to DCUO that has made me interested in the game. So far it's sounded like all the other superhero MMOs. Now it's starting to sound like a DC Universe MMO. I'll be watching this game more closely now.

Expansions aren't necessarily free for subscription based MMOs. Just ask any WoW player.

Quote Originally Posted by irishyardball View Post
    Expansions aren't necessarily free for subscription based MMOs. Just ask any WoW player.
    But it's not an expansion.That's the problem.It's more of a patch to improve the game.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarius View Post
    But it's not an expansion.That's the problem.It's more of a patch to improve the game.
    Correct. This is a bad game by modern MMO standards. As a the DC MMO, doubly so. They really fail to capture the essence of the DCU. Just names and places, none of the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    Correct. This is a bad game by modern MMO standards. As a the DC MMO, doubly so. They really fail to capture the essence of the DCU. Just names and places, none of the spirit.
    Have you actually played the game? I think they do a pretty damn good job of "capturing the essence" of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR 2.0 View Post
    Have you actually played the game? I think they do a pretty damn good job of "capturing the essence" of the DCU.
    This. I'll pay most other arguments against the game but that's not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by irishyardball View Post
    This is akin to a patch in wow, where a new raid and a few five mans are put out.
    They do that for free.
    They do it several times an expansion actually.

Except those WoW patches don't also add a completely new class or two, which is what this is essentially doing.

It's not a patch, it's a small expansion. And they're already done free content patches. Maybe we should see how much content is included before we call foul?
    Last edited by Astonishing X-Fan; 08-01-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

I want to be able to have GL as a mentor and be a Lanternnnnnn...nnnooooooooooow.

Quote Originally Posted by Astonishing X-Fan View Post
    Except those WoW patches don't also add a completely new class or two, which is what this is essentially doing.

It's not a patch, it's a small expansion. And they're already done free content patches. Maybe we should see how much content is included before we call foul?
    Oh, so they can add more ill explained classes whilst there current classes are still broken, and have been since launch?
    This game is amateur hour.
    Edit: And, btw, the reason WoW doesn't add new classes is because their pvp and pve mechanics are about 10 times more complex, and you can't balance the game quickly when you add new classes.
    DCUO you click a button a lot.

In the end, the problem is that releasing pay expansions only works well if people were basically pleased with the existing content. If people are basically in a foul mood about the existing state of the game, adding new pay content will just annoy them further.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Oh, so they can add more ill explained classes whilst there current classes are still broken, and have been since launch?
    This game is amateur hour.
    Edit: And, btw, the reason WoW doesn't add new classes is because their pvp and pve mechanics are about 10 times more complex, and you can't balance the game quickly when you add new classes.
    DCUO you click a button a lot.
    None of that changes the fact that new classes or the equivalent thing to new classes isn't something typical of a patch. Just because you think the game sucks doesn't make it a ripoff. The amount of content seems like it will be higher than the typical patch but less than the typical expansion, and in that case ten bucks seems perfectly fair.

And you don't honestly think that Blizzard would not be charging for new classes if they were easier to balance, do you? No way they wouldn't sell them either way. The reasons they don't put new classes in their patches is because people will pay for them.

And it's not like there hasn't been free content updates for DCUO, either.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

While free would have been nice 9.99 isn't a bad deal when you s=consider you get three new alerts and a new set of powers.

i found this describing whats coming next week:

The Green Lantern has been a mainstay for DC Comics fans for more than 60 years, and is a fan favorite among our players,” said Mark Anderson, Game Director of DC Universe Online. “We’ve listened to the feedback, and fans can now create their own Lantern-inspired characters including the use of light powers.”

In addition to the new light power set, players will also be able to interact with Green Lantern based characters and content in DC Universe Online in these all-new gameplay scenarios:

S.T.A.R. Labs – Deep within S.T.A.R Labs, Brainiac seeks to control experimental devices that will allow him to harness the power source behind the Lantern Corps’ rings. This attack throws the Lantern Corps into chaos, and players must join a fragile truce between the Green and Yellow Lantern Corps to bring the powerful devices back under STAR Labs control.

Coast City – Players must battle their way through the “City Without Fear” to Ferris Aircraft, the home of fighter ace Hal Jordan. Here they face the unbridled rage of the Red Lantern Corps in a showdown to save the city and the Universe.

Sciencells Prison – On the Green Lantern Corp’s home planet Oa, heroes will join with Guy Gardner to stop a prison break that threatens to release the most feared prisoners of the Green Lantern Corps. Villains will fight alongside Sinestro as he attempts to release the Green Lantern Corps’ greatest foes and retrieve the evil Lyssa Drak from her emerald powered prison cell.

Green Lantern offers another exciting superhero for PC and PS3 players to join forces with in their epic battles online, following DCUO’s ongoing combat missions featuring other DC Comics legends such as, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Joker and Lex Luthor.

DC Universe Online’s “Fight for the Light” DLC pack will be available for download for $9.99 USD this summer for PC and PlayStation®3 players.

DC Universe Online is licensed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on behalf of DC Entertainment. For more information about DC Universe Online, visit www.DCUniverseOnline.com.

Personally I love the game. It does take a little time to figure things out but i think its wild.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.