Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Playing as the actual characters in a MMO would be terrible. You'd have a Gotham where there's dozens of Batmans and Jokers running around at the same time.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Yet another game I feel could of been a great single player game if they'd just spent a lot more time gearing it towards that end. Hell at this point I'd be happy with a Marvel Ultimate Alliance clone with DC characters.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Didn't like the costume options.

Didn't like the limited powersets as well as the inability to customize power appearance ala Champions or CoH.

*Really* didn't like the controls.

Didn't sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'd heard reports that the servers were all very very low pop, but i was watching a friend who reupped his sub because he wanted too see whats up, and they aren't lying. At prime time on a friday this game was absolutetly dead, everything was listed as low pop and i only saw 2 other people in gotham as he flew about.
    I don't know about that. A week after launch, when there was a queue(sp?) to log into the V&V server, I -still- didn't see that many players outside of the outdoor mission hotspots.

Granted I had planned on re-subbing to the game after I got my finances straightened out, (which I have) but I haven't checked on any DCUO forums since like Jan, or heard any news about the game losing steam till now.

But, having seen many an mmo go through this, i'd like to offer my perspective on what happened.
    1. Samey content.
    Almost every quest was identical. It wasn't Star Wars Online bad, but it was very noticable.
    Yeah. All kinds of "defeat X" or "Defeat X to get Y drops" or "click on Z glowies" in the lower levels. I didn't make it past level 12 or so, so I don't know what the higher levels are like.

5. Bad explanation of game mechanics, and possibly too simple in gameplay. I complaigned about this during beta. They don't take the time to explain the roles and the powers too people. You have to go onto the forums and read players who took the time to theorycraft the stuff, including what stats you would want, because the game didn't do a good job of telling you.
    And honestly, in the end, no matter your build, you didn't have a lot of variety, and there is little to no skill involved in playing. You mash buttons and that's about it, it doesn't even matter what order you hit the buttons in or what you are fighting, you just clicked the button. It was like playing a more interactive Diablo. Lack of depth kills an mmo in the longterm, because you can't get better, you just get better gear. No changes to the class would change the way a person plays.
    DCUO is -horrible- about explaining the game mechanics. What really bugged me was the lack of an explanation of the stats on costume drops.

As for my three main complaints about the game.

The abysmal lack of powers in the character generator. No electricity (which is even MORE awesome considering that the custom character in the bulk of the games ads has a lightning motif, which you can't do in the game), no "energy" powers, no darkness powers, no Invulnerability style powerset (you can't make a pure brick type character in the game), among a lot of other stuff.

The targeting system is awful. It sucks on the pure PC controls, and is only tolerable if you use a console controller on your PC. And yeah, the combat is button mashing. It still boggles my mind that I've seen some DCUO forum posts insisting that DCUO's gameplay is more complex than the standard MMO "point-n-click" combat. Or that MMO players need to learn the FPS style gameplay that FPS fans are used to. (What, MMO fans are wrong to ask for something they're familiar with, since FPS gamers actually got a style they're used to already?!)

And the chat is just bad. There's veeery little reason to weather the horrid chat system for something like RPing, when I can just go back to CoH, which has been catering to RPers for years now.

I'm kind of glad I quit playing because I didn't need another huge timesink. My brother and I played it but neither of us had the time to devote to it.

The drawbacks, in my opinion:

The mics were broken at the start and they didn't fix the damn things for weeks. It's really hard to play a console MMO with no effective way to communicate. My brother and I spent hours, over various play sessions, standing and looking at each other's characters as we tried to get them to work.

Partly because of communication issues it was very hard to get people to group with you. Newbies either didn't want to or didn't really know how. Level 30s didn't want you dragging them down, of course.

You could hit level 30 really early and then all that was left was an awful grind to get this limited game currency that you could trade for currency that you could trade for special armor that you had to have to survive the highest level content. I never even got that far, but it didn't sound satisfying to me.

But it was really fun early on to fly around in a big city with lots of other heroes, and some of the DC trappings were implemented really well. The legends PVP was great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    If the game is still online by then, which i'm not sure at all for being honest. The situation is bad, real bad.
    I'm not disagreeing with you but is this opinion or have you seen data to justify this?

I got DCUO at launch and played my first free month. The game was boring, the chat system was stupid, and it had barely a fraction of the Champions Online customization.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

sure some of you remember me ranting about how this was going to be the mmo for me... well, i was right for all of what 1 month and a half?

Reason the Beta. I basically had the most fun in the beta, i tested pretty much everything and despite not being able to gain the last 10 levels and try high end iconic powers (which turned out to be nothing more than stat buffs) i had fun... but by the time the real game hit i came to realize i did 75% of the fun stuff.. leveling really is half the fun, 25% is questing and looting.. and i guess the other 25% is playing with the various options and builds... This game is lacking in variety not just in quest that feel different, but in player types. Ok maybe the dual role thing wasn't the best idea, every can be a damager so that leaves really only 3 roles and pretty much out of 100 players online per server back then, thats 33 of each role, at best... but most of the time it was either more than enough in one role or the other.. some days there were 50 healers, and not a single controller, ... sometimes there were nothing but damagers, no tanks, no controllers, no healers.

After hitting lv 30, joining a reasonably good guild, did some raids.. did the duos everyday, but never got to do the really big raids except once and we failed... trying to get the iconic stuff or tier 2 as it is called seemed way to distant a feat and it was only for the pretty looks of the armor because nothing else about it was really all that special, it didnt give you new powers, it just gave higher bonuses in your primary role... however i heard and foundout that the big raid gear that you find during those raids was equal to or better than the tier 2 iconic stuff... so whats the point? anyway..

if it had more diverse powers, and away to diversify your character a little more so not every healer was practically the same if they just so happen to be of the same power type then sure.. i would have played maybe a little longer.. but no matter how you look at it, auto stat placement, and very few powers per power makes the same very simple and boring..

Originally the powers in each tree were going to have levels! You could level up powers to improve their effects and so on.. Why Hell Would you Drop That!? You were going to be able to level say your fireball so that it did more damage than a person who didn't level it, or add a knock back effect... to it.. whatever..

The Game had potential and it still does... but they have to get the ball rolling again, adding new quest isn't the problem... improve the game so that its not some slack jawed brawler with no thought needed.
    Last edited by Kage Kisaragi; 04-20-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Yet another game I feel could of been a great single player game if they'd just spent a lot more time gearing it towards that end. Hell at this point I'd be happy with a Marvel Ultimate Alliance clone with DC characters.
    me too.

i think most people were playing this game as if it was exactly just that.

I can't believe i waited five years for this.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

years wasn't long enough apparently. They cut a lot of the things they said were going to be in there on day 1. Various powers, mystic, totem, lightning, races... what happen to that? not just adding a skin and really just being a human with a funky skinz.

Demons, Atlantians and so on. What happened to the size and shape for every type of pre-existing DC Character? seems like there was small, standard and large and that was it.

What happened to the missions were you have to do something and deal with pc villains at the same time? Half of the demostrations looked better than the actual game.

No hard light powers? What about the secret identity thing? What happen to the fully functional city? Why was half of it bubbled off.. I wanted to go to the Daily Planet?

It was overly simplified.. period.

No races with unique abilities and stats/weaknesses to help differiate between multiple characters who already have the same powers.

3 places to explore, Metropolis and Gotham and The Big Club Houses.

Lack of variaty in terms of equipment. I was under the impression that your power would alter your weapon fighting skills, not just change how special graphics of the weapon.. thats boring if not stupid. Really a Nature Beam?
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

For people hoping it gets fixed, i hate to tell you, but it's really rare an mmo gets massive, fundemental design changes. I can think of one example, Star Wars Galaxies, and that killed the game. It was from the same company doing DCUO.

The game would have to switch too a Free To Play model, and unlike what Turbine did with with DDO and LOTRO, Sony has a lot of other mmos they barely support on the F2p model already. It's going to continue the way it is, eventualy go F2P, and people will gradualy stop playing it after an initial up in subscribers.
    The game just isn't set up to be F2P and follow the microtransaction model, all they could sell is new costumes.
    DCUO is going to suffer the same death as FF14, when you put out an mmo that is either bad or lacks content, people will stop playing after the free month. As those people tell other people the game is the bad, and post about it on message boards etc, even less people are likely to play it.
    No one has found a way to fix that yet, not without going F2P. And even then, those games don't hook people for 3-6 years like Everquest or WoW.

Just goes to show that you should NEVER EVER EVER BUY A LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION TO ANY MMO.

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kage Kisaragi View Post
    years wasn't long enough apparently. They cut a lot of the things they said were going to be in there on day 1. Various powers, mystic, totem, lightning, races... what happen to that? not just adding a skin and really just being a human with a funky skinz.

Demons, Atlantians and so on. What happened to the size and shape for every type of pre-existing DC Character? seems like there was small, standard and large and that was it.

What happened to the missions were you have to do something and deal with pc villains at the same time? Half of the demostrations looked better than the actual game.

No hard light powers? What about the secret identity thing? What happen to the fully functional city? Why was half of it bubbled off.. I wanted to go to the Daily Planet?

It was overly simplified.. period.

No races with unique abilities and stats/weaknesses to help differiate between multiple characters who already have the same powers.

3 places to explore, Metropolis and Gotham and The Big Club Houses.

Lack of variaty in terms of equipment. I was under the impression that your power would alter your weapon fighting skills, not just change how special graphics of the weapon.. thats boring if not stupid. Really a Nature Beam?
    oh believe me I have all the same complaints and then some. The one time I played the game over the past six weeks I started to do the Catwoman quest. I ended up getting stuck in a hallway for about 10 minutes and then died as soon as i managed to free myself.

You do not play as your favorite DC Heroes in Legends play...you play as one of the Batman Family...which could be a selling point for some but I see it as another wasted opportunity. Besides which its totally jarring going from playing your mental based hero with hand blast abilites which your comfortable with to a Robin with Acrobatics and Gadgetry. I also expeienced tons of bugs during Legends play...screen freeze, poor targeting, poor movement. I couldnt get my bearings. Initially I was going to make up characters to experiment with all the powers and weapons but i just got bored with all.

I got my PS3 specifically for this game..otherwise I would have went with the WE, spent half the money and I'd have games I really want to play available to me (Fire Emblem). As it is the only thing my PS3 has been good for is netflix...which the WE is also capable of delivering. The only games Ive enjoyed playing since I got this thing are old Sega classics and Final fantasy tactics which is a ps2 game. Thats sad.

Heres hoping the X-Men game doesnt suck.
    Last edited by Wilder Midnight; 04-22-2011 at 05:12 AM.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you but is this opinion or have you seen data to justify this?
    Just my very humble opinion based on what i have seen on the servers i spent some time on. (European servers, PC)

Maybe i'm wrong and maybe the situation with the US servers is way better but concerning the EU ones, man, that's sad.

Just goes to show that you should NEVER EVER EVER BUY A LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION TO ANY MMO.
    True. Or at the very least you should always wait a bit to see how things are going after the first couple of months.

If wow offered a lifetime subscription that cost 200 bucks i would have saved money.
    Since i have never been able to play any other mmo for more then 2 months though, i'm very inclined to agree.