Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Indeed, LOTRO for example is making a hell of money since they switched to "free" to play.

Weeks after I started playing, I still couldn't chat with my guild properly and often couldn't even whisper individual members properly.

That killed a LOT of my interest right there.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

I don't want to turn this into a pro-COH thread (well, you know how that's going to turn), but there've been a number of COH players these days who came or rejoined the game because of dissatisfaction with DCUO.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Quote Originally Posted by GirlWonder View Post
    I'd say another reason was that many console users were new to MMOs, myself included. It was fun while leveling up, even a bit after hitting 30, but the idea of coming back on everyday to raid with a bunch of strangers grew old.
    When I read this part I thought, "How is this different when playing Halo or Call of Duty online? Or for that matter, every other game?"

I know they're not MMOs, and I know they're different games so you're not stuck in one. I just thought this was pretty funny after five years of XBOX Live and PSN. lol
    My Yu-Gi-Oh! card
    My magic card
    Magic The Gathering: Evil Ryu

Fear me.
    And my serpent.

The Seven Sins of Star Wars

1: Yoda can beat God
    2: Blaster pistols can blow up planets
    3: Lighsabers are as hot as the sun
    4: Luke Skywalker can move black holes
    5: Star Destroyers can blow up planets
    6: Darth Sidious rips Superman's head off
    7: General Grevious has Force TK

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not canon to anything. Nor is the new Clone Wars movie.

I would say people on like PS3 didn't really understand the mmo style game and because you had to pay for monthly use.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetFighterRyu View Post
    When I read this part I thought, "How is this different when playing Halo or Call of Duty online? Or for that matter, every other game?"
    You can play Call Of Duty and the like for free.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Free to play is going to be the norm in the few years or months i think for MMO anyway.

There is too much of them on the market now. Only stuff like WoW who has already a good number of addicted players can hope to keep the old monthly fee system.

Especially now that this type of games are released too on PS3 and Xbox.
    Last edited by Castel; 04-17-2011 at 10:42 AM.

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

i've played the game for maybe half an hour over the past six weeks.

i think its wrong to claim this game...or any game should be intended for the "casual player". thats just a clever spin on saying our game sucks.

such a big disappointment.

I pretty much agree with everything else said here.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

I actually think the gameplay itself is pretty good.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astonishing X-Fan View Post
    I actually think the gameplay itself is pretty good.
    It was, and I kind of wish more MMOs were as action oriented.

The lack of variety in superpowers though was a major negative to me.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by StreetFighterRyu View Post

I know they're not MMOs, and I know they're different games so you're not stuck in one. I just thought this was pretty funny after five years of XBOX Live and PSN. lol
    I don't really see why it's funny. I just enjoy solo campaigns more. I like having a story. I beat the Halo and COD campaigns, and when my friends dragged me online to play with them I obliged, but it gets boring. No story, no forward movement, and at the end of the day I'd rather rebeat something like Fallout 3.

Also, you talk about XBL and PSN as if FPS multiplayers and MMOs are the only reason they exist. I tend to use them for co-op campaigns, or getting a group of friends together to do something like beat the Crawmerax in Borderlands.

Seriously, saying "Or for that matter, every other game." makes no sense at all. You need to branch out. Good news though, awesome year to do it. Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Skyrim, ME3? It's a beautiful year for gaming.

Also, you talk about XBL and PSN as if FPS multiplayers and MMOs are the only reason they exist. I tend to use them for co-op campaigns, or getting a group of friends together to do something like beat the Crawmerax in Borderlands.
    You sound kind of like me. I rarely play death-modes, much preferring co-op experiences, and I've always been that way. I actually think that's largely why I tend to gravitate towards MMOs, though: Because I enjoy everyone having a role, with the group only managing to achieve success when everyone fulfills their roles accordingly. Regardless, in any type of game, I'm not nearly as big on competitive as I am on cooperative.

Anyway, the story in DCUO was good while it lasted, but I totally agree with those that pointed out that it didn't feel as if you were an actual part of the story. When supposedly captured heroes are standing right in front of you, it makes it a bit more difficult than it already is to suspend one's disbelief. This is something that could have easily been remedied by simply having "captured" characters turned off to those that hadn't "freed" them yet, thus not only encouraging the player to complete such missions to help further fill out the environment around them, but to also, essentially, give them access to a potential new quest-giver.

And I'd also concur with the sentiment that the costumes and power sets are lacking. I don't know of many superheroes who went about creating and modifying their costumes by beating up villains, so it only further grates on my nerves that I wasn't allowed to make my character look as close to how I wanted him to look at the very beginning of the game. I understand wanting to create incentive among the players to progress, but I believe there are other ways to go about it. After all, the look of one's superhero is a big part of the allure, I believe. Compounding this, the absence of raw physical strength and invulnerability power trees really hampered my ability to make "my own hero." Fire and ice are all well and good, but the effects they put off when using those powers truly do get in the way of my imagination, I'm sorry to admit.

All in all, though, I'm not the least bit sorry that I bought the game and played it for as long as I did. I hope DC Universe Online continues to develop and grow, and when enough new storylines and content are introduced for me to play through, I'll happily give the game another look. Hopefully, the developers will have also addressed a lot of my other complaints by then, too.
    Check out my Hawkman Blog:The Stonechat Museum!

I don't really see why it's funny.
    I think StreetFighterRyu was referring to your idea that console players were turned off by the thought of playing with strangers when they do that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I think StreetFighterRyu was referring to your idea that console players were turned off by the thought of playing with strangers when they do that all the time.
    Ah, I see. Suppose it didn't click right away because it seems like a different situation to me. Raiding in DCUO felt more involved than any COD type multiplayer experience I've had. It required more teamwork, trust to fairly deal with loot, and the conversation was different.

Now that I think about it, talking to people on DCUO was actually better than the average FPS multiplayer conversation. Less shouting, more coherent, no your mom jokes.

Actually, being able to talk was another thing that hurt DCUO early on because many people didn't have mics. I know it didn't take long for me to give in and drop $40 on the PS3 bluetooth headset. If they don't include a mic with their next console it will be a huge failure on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    It was, and I kind of wish more MMOs were as action oriented.

The lack of variety in superpowers though was a major negative to me.
    The usualy excuse for lack of variety is pvp balance, but in this game, you don't even pvp as yourself, you pvp as a premade character.
    Which means they had free reign too do whatever they wanted with the powers.