Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: In the End, "Captain America" Couldn't Beat "Thor"

Once all the ticket sales were tallied, it turned out "Captain America: The First Avenger" grossed $65.1 million in its opening weekend, falling short of the $65.7 million earned by "Thor" in May.

Full article here.

BANNED

Man, they better nail Avengers or this is all going to be very disappointing.

Straight Edge

No biggie. Its still the #1 movie and it beat HP, something most people weren't predicting on Thursday.
    CaptainAmerica Hawkeye Avengers NewAvengers UncannyAvengers AvengersWorld

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think it's save to consider Cap's outing, a success.

I liked it, myself, though I think THOR was a much better story, character, and film.

What were people expecting? Thor, despite the modern setting, was pretty much a fantasy adventure movie and people get a kick out of those kinds of movies. Captain America still did well but I can see why Thor is considered superior over Captain America
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by YouthofToday View Post
    No biggie. Its still the #1 movie and it beat HP, something most people weren't predicting on Thursday.
    This is correct.

Seriously, a difference of about half a million dollars? Who gives a fuck?

Well, there goes all those claims about it being the top comic book movie of the summer.

Saw both in their opening weekends, and I'd have to say while I like Cap more than Thor, Thor was a better movie than Cap.

For me, the acting is a touch better overall in Thor, and that USO bit in Cap really felt over the top and out of place in Captain America.

That said, both very enjoyable movies.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Well, there goes all those claims about it being the top comic book movie of the summer.
    "Top" in what sense? I still think it's the best one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    It's also only the first weekend. If it suffers as large a drop, or even larger drop, in Weeks 2 and 3 as Thor, then we'll know who's on top. But if the drop is smaller, it could be that Captain America might end up grossing more. It's too soon to tell.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Elder Member

Considering that Cap was riding a much smaller wave of hype than Thor and had to fight the prospect of "superhero burnout" by audiences after a summer full of these things, this is a damn good outcome.

I thought Cap was better than both Thor and X-Men, personally.

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

It still had more attendance than Thor, making it the top in attendance, and proving the silly "super hero fatigue" is just that...silly, cause it doesn't exist.

Source

"Captain America made $65.1 million on approximately 7,100 screens at 3,715 locations, which was just shy of fellow Avenger Thor's $65.7 million but more than Green Lantern's $53.2 million and X-Men: First Class's $55.1 million. While the gross difference was a sliver, Captain had eight percent greater estimated attendance than Thor, which received more bolstering from 3D (and had IMAX): Captain's 3D share was 40 percent at 2,511 3D locations, compared to Thor's 60 percent at 2,737."

Great opening...Go Cap!
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschman View Post
    For me, the acting is a touch better overall in Thor, and that USO bit in Cap really felt over the top and out of place in Captain America.
    Of all of the strong elements in Cap, I thought the acting was easily the strongest. Solid performances from top to bottom.

What the...?

Either way the money is going to the same place.

DEAD MEANS DEAD DAMNIT Bedlam66's Avatar

To tell the truth I'm more interested in the Worldwide Sales and how it Preformed overseas.
    -JLA MEMBER-

JPEG League of America

Syphre Zero:
    Bless us, oh Lord, and thank You for the gift of Ed Benes which You have bestowed upon us. Grant him his rightful reward and favor him as You have Michael Turner and all Your other children who draw women really, REALLY well.

http://www.badpressonline.com/
    CBR DC Wallpaper Thread Newsarama Wallpaper Thread CBR All Comic Art Wallpaper Thread