Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Default Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Animated Film

I can't really work up any excitement about this, or YEAR ONE. Two great stories that I have no interest in seeing played out in animation. I've been trying to work out why that was and I think with both of those projects, there's really no authorial vision on the part of the animators. With the case of BATMAN TAS and BATMAN BEYOND - they had distinctive markings saying 'This is a Bruce Timm show' all over it. Moving into the movies - Tim Burton, Christopher Nolan and even Joel Schumacher had their own vision for Batman and it showed, even if they borrowed from the interpretation of others. If I wanted Frank Miller Batman, I'd read Frank Miller Batman - I don't need to see it adapted by someone who isn't Frank Miller. Glad a lot of people get to see this project realised though - some have been crying out for this for years.

P.S. If Timm were to consult with Miller on who he'd like to see voice the characters, that might spark some interest. I don't know who Frank had in mind, but you gotta imagine Clint Eastwood as Batman. Not that Clint would do it... but still.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    They should use Adam West for DKR Batman's voice. Too bad Cesar Romero is no longer with us, or I'd recommend him for Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    This film should be the final time Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are used to voice Batman and the Joker. It would cap an unbelievable twenty years of voice acting that culminates in arguably (NOTE I SAID ARGUABLY) the greatest Batman story ever told. I believe at this point they've aged well enough that their performances would be spot on with the right direction.
    That could be a nifty idea for those actors.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    HA! I'm stupid.

ANYWAY.....

I'm kind of worried about the 2 part aspect of it. Also once both parts are out are they then going to release a set with more extras? I'd hate to triple dip on a movie. (part 1, part 2, collected)

Frank the Tank would have wanted Eastwood as Batman and David Bowie as the Joker. They should just really challenge themselves by casting Conroy as the Joker and Hamill as Batman.

Obviously Superman will be in part two (with a possible cameo in part one?), but is there a definitive Superman voice actor a la Conroy/Hamill? Any suggestions on who will play Ronald Reagan? Yes I'm aware that will probably be the first thing on the cutting room floor, along with the nuclear winter because way to go on missing the point of the story DC!!! >:( .....or not, hopefully.

I just hope Rob says "Balls Nasty".

This is great news. Much more excited about this adaptation than Year One, mostly because this is a story that's never really been given life outside the comic book page...whereas large chunks of Year One have slipped into other Batman media before.
    (I admit...I also largely preferred TDKR to YO as a comic...not that the latter isn't awesome, too).

Comic Loving Psychologist feliciano2040's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Grip Batman View Post
    I admit...I also largely preferred TDKR to YO as a comic...not that the latter isn't awesome, too).
    Most sane, intelligent people do !

I wouldn't call it a matter of sanity or intelligence, just taste! Year One is a little more restrained, less bold and barrel-chested than TDKR, but it has its moments where it's just as mythic and operatic. Frank Miller gets the power of Batman as a legend, which Morrison and Snyder have both been running with to awesome effect.

Quote Originally Posted by chin chin View Post
    Frank the Tank would have wanted Eastwood as Batman and David Bowie as the Joker. They should just really challenge themselves by casting Conroy as the Joker and Hamill as Batman.

Obviously Superman will be in part two (with a possible cameo in part one?), but is there a definitive Superman voice actor a la Conroy/Hamill? Any suggestions on who will play Ronald Reagan? Yes I'm aware that will probably be the first thing on the cutting room floor, along with the nuclear winter because way to go on missing the point of the story DC!!! >:( .....or not, hopefully.

I just hope Rob says "Balls Nasty".
    For Superman, probably Tim Daly or George Newbern, who voiced Supes in his animated series and Justice League, respectively.
    Action Comics, American Vampire, AV: Lord of Nightmares, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Batwoman, The Flash, Prophet, Uncanny X-Force

Finally a chance to this great comic on-screen.I hope there is a different approach to animation. Kinda love to see them experiment with anime style.

I hope that they make DKSA soon too.

Comic Loving Psychologist feliciano2040's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Munkiman View Post
    I wouldn't call it a matter of sanity or intelligence, just taste! Year One is a little more restrained, less bold and barrel-chested than TDKR, but it has its moments where it's just as mythic and operatic. Frank Miller gets the power of Batman as a legend, which Morrison and Snyder have both been running with to awesome effect.
    So much yes to this.

After watching alot of "MANNIX" this week, I believe Mike Conners would be a good choice to voice the retired James Gordon.

So, apparently, they screened some footage from this film at the end of Superman Vs. The Elite at Wondercon, and people were super excited by what they saw. Here's some comments: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=56500

BANNED

Did they announce a voice cast? I do love the idea of Conroy and Hamil having their swan song in this film though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Did they announce a voice cast? I do love the idea of Conroy and Hamil having their swan song in this film though.
    Neither actor would fit for the role unless they change their style. Hamill's Joker is too clownish and playful where's Conroy's Batman lacks the edge.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Neither actor would fit for the role unless they change their style. Hamill's Joker is too clownish and playful where's Conroy's Batman lacks the edge.
    Mix angry Batman TAS and old Bruce from Batman Beyond, I have nothing but faith in Conroy and his awesome set of pipes. Remember that his "playboy Bruce Wayne" is simply his real speaking voice, I know he could do old and angry.
    x____sign here____

While I probably won't watch this (my distaste for Dark Knight Returns has gotten bigger with the years) I hope for they sake of those who will that the production company will try to reproduce Miller's art rather than go with the bland, vague manga look that the Year One movie had.
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

Quote Originally Posted by RedliwNala View Post
    While I probably won't watch this (my distaste for Dark Knight Returns has gotten bigger with the years) I hope for they sake of those who will that the production company will try to reproduce Miller's art rather than go with the bland, vague manga look that the Year One movie had.
    Vague manga look? Year One didn't look anything like that. Admittedly I never read Year One, but the few pics of the comic I've seen online and in that first sneak peek made me think the animation did a decent job of aping that style for film (nobody is going to make a 100% art translation to animation, way too much work).
    Mind you the colors were a bit too bright and fresh, perhaps that's what you were responding too?
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.