Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: J. Bone Goes "Retro" With Wonder Woman

Artist J. Bone teams with former "Wonder Woman" writer Denny O'Neil to craft a throwback tale for DC Comics' "DC Retroactive: Wonder Woman - The '70s"

Full article here.

Embittered Yet Whimsical Flying Saucers Over Oz's Avatar

Well, we keep asking DC to throw us a Bone... (Rimshot)
    What Can We Do To Help You Stop Screaming?

Ah, there's enough in that interview to tick off every Wonder Woman fan on this forum! And that's a GOOD thing!

Main story made no sense, but the Mod Diana story was cool

I don't recall the art of the Wonder Woman of the '70s ever being that bad. Granted, the WW art wasn't that stellar back then, but the new retro story doesn't capture that '70s flavor at all, IMO.

So I skimmed through it, but didn't buy it.

I was a cute story, but I have to say, it looked and felt a lot more like a Silver Age/Kanigher tribute than a 70's/Mod Era tribute.

I didn't mind the art, although it looked older then the 70s. I like J. Bones art normally, but this was slightly lacking. The story was terrible though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    "Of all people, you know who I am...who the world needs me to be. I'm Wonder Woman."

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    I didn't mind the art, although it looked older then the 70s. I like J. Bones art normally, but this was slightly lacking. The story was terrible though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    My post from another thread....

yeah--sadly, it could/should have been fun, but once again DC doesn't know how to do her justice....I had hoped to get a little Silver/Bronze Age dose of WW -- a nice remedy to the FLashpointlessness and non reboot-reboot talk...however.....

SPOILERS (since no one seems to have posted?-- perhaps no one bothered to buy it?...lol)
    .Diana parachutes from a plane she hired (wtf?) to where Paraqdise Island should be-- but it's sinking into the sea... she lands in the ocean and swims down to find an alien spaceship whihc lets her aboard. The shapeshifting cube/orb thing tells her that she has sinned greatly and must redeem (but "making yourself less than you are") The box insists she endure three ordeals to "redeem"-- she tries to rebuff the alien, but has no choice but to comply-- Paradise Island is in a dome under the sea, and there is a huge blade (bigger than the island) trying to cut the island in two!

The alien says if she survives the ordeals, the island will be restored.... WW agrees, but the alien box insists that "first you must be as you were when you sinned" and turns her from WW to non-powered Diana Prince. DIana states "One of the outfits I wore after I renounced my powers, my heritage....before I realized who I really am." (wtf?) Diana is transported to a barren land where she encounters an armoured woman on horseback. The two fight, Diana is cut by the woman's sword, but wins with some judo and knocks the woman out (also takes her sword, just in case)

Meanwhile Hippolyta (brown haired, but with pointy Silver age crown" is talking with some old woman Amazon (again, wtf?) who is analyzing some remnant of the alien technology... apparently it's 15 billion years old and surpasses any technology on Earth. Also it's emptied their archives and knows "all of our history and science." Then Luna (a kid Amazon?!? say it with me-- "wtf?!?") plods in and tells Hippolyte the giant blade has almost reached the shores of the island...

Back to Diana--- in taking mystery woman's sword (and apparently surviving the first ordeal) she plummets through a whole in the earth and lands in some river saying " the amazon warrior version of me could reach the shore easily, but little old Diana Prince...not a chance." Yet she reaches the shore and encounters a giant, who she tries to kung fu (without success). Diana notices a butterfly that seems to be following her. She also realizes that the woman she fought was Joan of Arc, the giant is the Bibical Goliath, and the blade threatening the island is from Poe (Pit and the Pendulum)... "...the alien's been rummaging through human history and culture-- looking for ways to make my life miserable." She finds a smal stone, throwing it towards the giant ( a la Bibical David) yet, lo, she was aiming for and killed the butterfly.... but wait-- it's not a butterfly, it's some alien technology that's been spying on her! Whew!

Then there's a rumble and suddenly Hippolyta is walking towards Diana. Island's ok, Amazons ok, the sin shines on the world. The alien craft is now on the beach, and the Amazon scientists are gonna give it the once-over. Diana (off panel) tells Hippolyta that she completed only two ordeals. "Either the alien didn't have time to hit me with a third, or...crossing the rapids was counted as an ordeal? Perhaps?" *sigh*

Old lady amazon scientist pops in and she had concluded looking over the alien ship (which looks like Blue Beetle's bug-mobile-athingy) She basically says that the circuitry controlling the ship was destroyed in "some sort of mishap millions of years ago", and that "the programs an purposes of the vessel interacted at random. There was neither plan nor cognition" Hippolyte asks if the things fighting DIana were phantoms, Diana says nope-- she has a cut on her arm that's real, and it hurts!

So old lady Amazon says that the technology that created the foes is beyond their comprehension, but yes they were real...and the story end like this:

Hippolyta :
    " SO a random accident created events that seemed intentional and caused genuine suffering..."

Diana: " I guess I don't need redeeming after all>"

Hippolyta: " Are you certain?"

Diana: "No."

Um, again I call wtf?

To start, it's apparent that the intention is for it to be SIlver/Bronze Age Earth One Wonder Woman. She has gone through renouncing her powers, did the whole kung fu IChing-thing, got her powers back-- so you can guess it's supposed to be mid to late 70s.... However it's so disjointed and odd, with no attempt to fine tune the little details. Brown-haired Hippolyte, old lady Amazon, some Amazon kid?!?

ALso, add the fact that WW doesn't use her Invisible jet-- she hires a plane and pilot. SHe parachutes to the spot where Paradise Island is/was-- doesn't just jump into the ocean or even glide on air currents.

The story reads like it's supposed to be a Silver Age Kanigher (sp?) story, but wthout the whimsy or charm. The dialogue is horrid-- "before I realized who I really am." ??? Really? All of her inner dialogue doesn't seem like it's her... the pacing is awkward, and in the end there is no point to the story-- at all! The alien apparently can change DIana back to her non-powered self (and change her clothes!) via some crazy advanced alien technology that even the super utopian technologically advanced Silver?Bronze Age Amazons can't fathom. She needs to submit and redeem for "sinning" (alluding to her renouncing her heritage) but that all was just random alien misfiring bullspit....

Once little moment I liked was during the "killing" of the robot butterfly (yes, robot butterfly) She clocks the butterfly with the stone, and it falls to thr ground. SHe kneels down, cradling the tiny thing in her hands, and thinks "I hope I did the right thing. I didn't want to hurt Goliath unless I had to. And the insect seemed like a good second choice, but killing any being can be a mistake..." (she then discovers she made the right choice-- voila! Robot butterfly!) That little bit of inner dialog seemd like the "real" Diana to me. The rest was a five dollar pile of crap. Oh-- and they reprint an actual issue from the era-- part one of a two parter! (wtf?)

Matt

The art is dreadful--I read JBone was instructed to draw like Sekowsky (sp?)-- but it's soooooo clunky and wrong and looks like ameture night (and I like JBone's work, normally)