Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Jul 19, 2011

This week, Tim tackles some of the big questions of the day, like "Is Flashpoint any Good?" and "Do Realism and Comic Books Mix?" and "Do Canadian Potato Chips Taste Better?"

Full article here.

Cool

There's a reason that superheroes still dominate the medium. I think Grant Morrison should write a book about it.

I got the answer. Deepak Chopra said it in one of his his wonderful book so I'm applying it to FunnyBooks. As always, I ask for latitude with my Gonzo tangents.
    "Why Do Children Join Gangs?" Urban children. Or even suburban or rural kids too. But I'm from Boston where we have a gang culture in our urban areas that have territoriality, et al. Getting to the Point.
    Chopra asked "why do children join gangs" and gave the most honest answer I've ever heard.
    We, as Westerners/Americans Have No Mythology. Perhaps a terrible obverse to the Non-Establishment Clause, eh?
    Gangs Do. Gangs provide Initiation Rituals, a leader, Code Names, Adventures & Risk of Life. Status.
    Gangs offer something that society lacks. powerful archetypes to imagine and apply to real life. I'm not advocating Gangs by the way. Just regurgitating Chopra since he's the voice of reason in my iPod.

Bringing this back home to the FunnyBook Bodega...
    We as Comics Fans are our own gang. These are our mythologies. We have temples (the local comics store). We have fetishes (I have a GL ring and a copious amount of Tee Shirts). I identify more with Batman than I do with Jesus. The closest religious archetype I can identify with is Arjuna from the Bhagavad Gita but iDigress...
    FunnyBooks fill in our need to belong and adhere to a mythology.
    Something to believe in if only for our own fertile imaginations!

kriya shakti,
    Rev Sully
    the Hub of the Multiverse
    Last edited by rev sully; 07-19-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: better!

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson

"Geoff Johns writes about Superboy Prime punching through Dan DiDio's office"

I wouldn't say that's an example of trying to incorporate realism into superheros comics. I'd say that's a great example of forgetting realism and just doing crazy things.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Green Lantern, GLC, GL: New Guardians, Justice League, The Flash, Batman Inc, Batman, Nightwing, Batman & Robin, Dial H, Animal Man, Frankenstien, Earth-2

Fraggin' Bastich

So when DC talks about its relaunch tackling "real world issues" or however they phrased it, I chafe. Comics are not built for that, not in any way beyond the most symbolic, and whenever Mark Waid targets Fox News punditry in an "Amazing Spider-Man" story or Geoff Johns writes about Superboy Prime punching through Dan DiDio's office or Matt Fraction incorporates the sluggish American economy into a speech by Tony Stark, it just doesn't work as well as when those same writers ignore the nods to some perceived standard of reality or "relevance" and tell stories about larger-than-life heroes and epic conflict.
    I know this is an opinion column, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Comics are not a genre. They are a medium. You can tell any kind of story using sequential art.

Saying that comics should only "tell stories about larger-than-life heroes and epic conflict" is akin to saying TV's only good for medical or lawyer drama series, or that anything that's not a romantic comedy or a CGI wankfest has no business in a cinema screen.

Just my $0.02.

I agree with saidestroyer that comics are a medium, not a genre. They can, and should, publish comics about all genres that the public is interested on. Superheroes just happen to be what they want most *right now* but it's not always been that way.

BUT, superhero comics SHOULD be about superheroes. As in, people with fantastic powers fighting evil and winning I embolden this part because it's the one that's not clearly understood by many modern writers: for heroes winning isn't "Get the villain", it's "save the innocents". Arriving too late to save hostages, the villain escaping unpunished, the hero growing more grim etc. does NOT count as 'winning'. Comics are escapism (as is entertainment in general) and in the case of heroes, the idea is to fantasize a world were good DOES always win in the end.

Can you use superheroes for darker stories? Sure, and some times those can be very well written too. But they would NOT be true superhero stories, anymore than cowboys in space would make a true Western. Just allow your audience to tell what they are buying ahead of time, and it's OK for everybody. But don't give me a comic where somebody gets eaten alive without any warning on the cover and claim that it's the way it's supposed to be.

Tim is not saying that comics is a genre. He is saying that the medium is inherently better suited for the romantic than it is for the realistic, be that romantic subject matter, romantic style, or both.

Cool

We already have Absolute Realism in FunnyBooks...

Their Movie Adaptations. (I've yet to see GREEN LANTERN but I've seen THOR & X-MEN:1st CLASS ;P )

Comics though are an escape simply the Physics are way different on these imaginary worlds...their gunas of prakriti so to speak. Hard to imagine some of this stuff and CGI just doesn't cut it sometimes.

Maybe for me it's why writer like Grant Morrison & Warren Ellis work. They use real things and fold them into the fabric of Fantasy. Real sciences or Developing Theories...not just Unobtanium Powering Lightsabres but iDigress... Real Things & Real Ideas...that's realism in comics. I'm a big fan of any good comic should have you grabbing a Dictionary or a Wiki to RTFM at least once. Comics for some strange reason have been a source of cultural literacy, pop culture and Big Words.

Kriya Shakti,
    Rev Sully
    The Hub of the Multiverse

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson