Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Joe Johnston Directs "Captain America"

Director Joe Johnston spoke one-on-one with CBR News about "Captain America: The First Avenger," directing Stan Lee, setting up "The Avengers for Joss Whedon and more.

Full article here.

I can understand why Stan Lee is in the other Marvel movies, but putting him in Captain America not only doesn't make sense. It's also kind of another slap at Kirby--especially since this is his origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by MWLynch View Post
    I can understand why Stan Lee is in the other Marvel movies, but putting him in Captain America not only doesn't make sense. It's also kind of another slap at Kirby--especially since this is his origin story.
    Wasn't Kirby like Stan"s mentor? It makes sense you would want to honor a friends creation since he can't be there.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

Kirby's dead though, so it's not like he could do a cameo and Stan did write a decent amount of Captain America stories in both cap's solo title and the Avengers. But more to the point he got his start with Timely as a filler writer in Captain America, heck that's where he first used the name Stan Lee so I'm sure Captain America is pretty important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Kirby's dead though, so it's not like he could do a cameo and Stan did write a decent amount of Captain America stories in both cap's solo title and the Avengers. But more to the point he got his start with Timely as a filler writer in Captain America, heck that's where he first used the name Stan Lee so I'm sure Captain America is pretty important to him.
    To say nothing of Lee being the guy that revived him in the 60's as part of the Avengers. Cap might just be another Golden Age footnote character if not for that.

You both make valid points, but Lee did not create Cap as he had a hand in the others. Also, I call it another slap because of the history between Lee and Kirby. I don't know, maybe if in the movie they call him Kurtzburg or something like that it would honor Kirby. I think these Lee cameos do more to honor Lee than anything else, which is my problem with this one--it'll be no different. Still looking forward to this movie, though!

You both make valid points, but Lee did not create Cap as he had a hand in the others. Also, I call it another slap because of the history between Lee and Kirby. I don't know, maybe if in the movie they call him Kurtzburg or something like that it would honor Kirby. I think these Lee cameos do more to honor Lee than anything else, which is my problem with this one--it'll be no different. Still looking forward to this movie, though!
    Why shouldn't he be honored? It's a character that is important to his career even if he didn't create him, I'm sure if Kirby was alive they'd stick him in there if he wanted to(I'm not even sure he would though as he was a private person) but since they can't as he's dead his absence seems to be of little consequence.

Should Simonson and Straczynski have been allowed cameos in Thor?

When are the reviews coming?
    Justice League- Batman- Batman and Robin- Action Comics- Green Lantern- Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.- Resurrection Man

Are we SERIOUSLY discussing whether Stan Lee's cameo is a slap in the face (or memory) of Jack "King" Kirby? SERIOUSLY!?!

If Kirby were alive, he likely wouldn't want to be in any of the movies anyway. And Stan has had cameos in nearly all the new age Marvel films. It's like a tradition now. Stan Lee was a HUGE part of Marvels formative years. The man is a living comics legend. And he loves his characters, those he created and those he simply wrote for a period of time.

Stop trying to create controversy where there is none.

Kirby will rise from the grave to strangle Stan Lee for this.
    It heralds a zombie apocalypse, parents will eat their babies, dogs will mate with cats.

Or maybe he's just in it because he is the face of Marvel Comics more than anyone else.
    Kirby included.

Isn't Joe Simon still alive, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Isn't Joe Simon still alive, though?
    Yeah, I think he's in his late 90's though so health maybe an issue.

OK, OK, OK. Maybe slap in the face was a little harsh. I really didn't mean to start controversy. It was just an observation I was making (is there no one who knows the history of Jack and Stan who doesn't get what I was saying?).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a large space of untapped time within the movie. I'm kind of hoping there is at least one sequel that takes place during the war (hope that isn't controversial).

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

Wow that interview (what I read, that is; some I skipped as parts were too revelatory) got me SUPER pumped for this movie! It could be a bit of a let down, but I'm so there anyway. Most anticipated Marvel move since Daredevil ...