Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

She was creepier when she was a kid, but the art helped a lot too. Sometimes I wish PAD would've kept her as a teenager because I hate when they age kids in comics, but she's been doing a lot of interesting stuff as an adult.

Retired

Yeah her initial design is leagues ahead of her current one. I wish she'd managed to have kept some vestige of her original, (pseudo) alternative look beyond the occasional appearances of the striped stockings. Here's some fan-art I really like by mcixtian on deviantArt:

PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .A: Mutant League Champions 2013

I wonder if she met the Scarlet Witch at Doom's castle. They would have been living there about the same time.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I wonder if she met the Scarlet Witch at Doom's castle. They would have been living there about the same time.
    Good point! I'm not sure how I'd feel about that though. Wanda had amnesia at the time didn't she? I'd like to think that if they were there at the same time and knew of one another, that Layla would choose to punish Wanda by not restoring her memories. Then again, we don't really know her personal feelings about the decimation. She might be grateful that Wanda removed her demonic appearance. Everyone else seems to have forgiven her these days...

Anyway, while we're on the topic of all things Doom, I saw this on tumblr, and even though I have no context and there's next to no chance it's true, I'm totally giving Layla all credit here because of how the first page is phrased:

Quote Originally Posted by .A View Post
    Good point! I'm not sure how I'd feel about that though. Wanda had amnesia at the time didn't she? I'd like to think that if they were there at the same time and knew of one another, that Layla would choose to punish Wanda by not restoring her memories. Then again, we don't really know her personal feelings about the decimation. She might be grateful that Wanda removed her demonic appearance. Everyone else seems to have forgiven her these days...

Anyway, while we're on the topic of all things Doom, I saw this on tumblr, and even though I have no context and there's next to no chance it's true, I'm totally giving Layla all credit here because of how the first page is phrased:

Wanda never lost her memories, i was claim back in HOM that Wanda made Layla to fix what she did.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    Wanda never lost her memories, i was claim back in HOM that Wanda made Layla to fix what she did.
    No, I believe Children's Crusade established that she did in fact lose her memories, and the theory that Layla is a construct of Wanda's has been debubked for years.

Ok, thought. It's not going to happen, but what would your feelings be on the concept of Layla acting as "Charlie" (as in Angels) to the Kid Loki / Miss America / Wiccan group. She knows stuff, and thanks to her time with DOOM she does have one foot in the somewhat fantastical world that the group seems perfect for.

Scripted by Spencer or Gillen, drawn by McKelvie?
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

No, I believe Children's Crusade established that she did in fact lose her memories, and the theory that Layla is a construct of Wanda's has been debubked for years.
    You're right i guessed you where talking about HOM, but you where talking about after. As for the construct part it was only shown wrong because BMB didn't know what to do with her. And let Peter develop her.

Is this Layla? I do not get this image above with Doom. it looks like Valeria Richards. Which is the connection with Laya? Was this in the House of M. Does anyone know if Layla is related to Doom? Daugther???
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 08-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Is this Layla? I do not get this image above with Doom. it looks like Valeria Richards. Which is the connection with Laya? Was this in the House of M. Does anyone know if Layla is related to Doom? Daugther???
    That is Valeria from the last FF arc.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Yeah it's Valeria not Layla, I just want to believe that his saying "I know it" with complete conviction and no explanation as to why, is a reference to him having been assured of a favourable outcome (not dying) by Layla's future knowledge. Of course I recognise that is almost definitely not the case, but you must allow me my small delusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Ok, thought. It's not going to happen, but what would your feelings be on the concept of Layla acting as "Charlie" (as in Angels) to the Kid Loki / Miss America / Wiccan group. She knows stuff, and thanks to her time with DOOM she does have one foot in the somewhat fantastical world that the group seems perfect for.

Scripted by Spencer or Gillen, drawn by McKelvie?
    Truth be told, I'm not all that keen on the idea of her expanding beyond the X-Verse and into the wider Marvel U. Should she ever leave X-Factor and another writer want to take hold of her (though let's be honest, it's highly doubtful), then I'd rather see her in some kind of brain trust la X-Club, though knowledge/analysis-based rather than scientific. Perhaps with Sage and Cypher. Alternatively, they could build on her magical abilities and have her working with Magik, Pixie, Dr Strange and the like, but I'm not sure I'd like that either. Regardless I'd love to see a McKelvie Layla, she seems like the ideal character for him to draw. And Spencer and Gillen would both write her fantastically. Didn't Nick Spencer include Dr. Layla Miller in his Ultimate X-Men run?

Dr. Layla Miller appreciation:

Last edited by .A; 08-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.

And we'll probably see her again too if Wood (or somebody else) gets back to the Apocalypse plot.

Yeah it's Valeria not Layla, I just want to believe that his saying "I know it" with complete conviction and no explanation as to why, is a reference to him having been assured of a favourable outcome (not dying) by Layla's future knowledge. Of course I recognise that is almost definitely not the case, but you must allow me my small delusions.

Truth be told, I'm not all that keen on the idea of her expanding beyond the X-Verse and into the wider Marvel U. Should she ever leave X-Factor and another writer want to take hold of her (though let's be honest, it's highly doubtful), then I'd rather see her in some kind of brain trust la X-Club, though knowledge/analysis-based rather than scientific. Perhaps with Sage and Cypher. Alternatively, they could build on her magical abilities and have her working with Magik, Pixie, Dr Strange and the like, but I'm not sure I'd like that either. Regardless I'd love to see a McKelvie Layla, she seems like the ideal character for him to draw. And Spencer and Gillen would both write her fantastically. Didn't Nick Spencer include Dr. Layla Miller in his Ultimate X-Men run?

Dr. Layla Miller appreciation:

I can't wait till she turns up again!

Retired

I only ever read the first two Ultimate X-Men comics. Where's a good point to jump on?

I only ever read the first two Ultimate X-Men comics. Where's a good point to jump on?
    I say just stick to the current relaunch. Pretty much everything before Ultimatum is not reference in any way, unless you're actually curious about the history. There's Ultimate X, but I don't recomend that to anyone and the entire main cast of the book is compromise of Ultimate Spiderman supporting characters and guest stars, so I would say the previous Run of Ultimate Spiderman, specifically the Death of Spiderman, it's where you'll get backstories on the characters.