Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

That's a really cool picture.

As much as I love Layla, I'm excited for Monet's moment actually freak out on her.

Retired

I can't pick a side. I like them both too much. Though I hate to admit it, Layla kind of has it coming. But then again, she's not exactly wrong for wanting Guido to not be dead.

I'm so grateful she's sticking around in X-Factor for the time being. I was convinced she'd leave right after Jamie's "death". There's still time to force her out though and I suppose that's what Monet's going for, lol. Hopefully psycho-Lorna can see Layla's point of view.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .A: Mutant League Champions 2013

Retired

So it finally happened this week:

The perfect parting gift from Emanuela Lupacchino.
    Last edited by .A; 03-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Retired

Really sorry to be triple posting in this thread (where are you fellow Layla fans? ;;), but I just came across this on tumblr. It's apparently from Mighty Avengers #13:

It's the most awful rendition of Layla I've ever seen, but I find it hilarious. Is she being recruited to join the Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by .A View Post
    Really sorry to be triple posting in this thread (where are you fellow Layla fans? ;;), but I just came across this on tumblr. It's apparently from Mighty Avengers #13:

It's the most awful rendition of Layla I've ever seen, but I find it hilarious. Is she being recruited to join the Avengers?
    Huh. Weird. Glad that team-shift didn't happen!
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
    Huh. Weird. Glad that team-shift didn't happen!
    I know! But Layla (possibly - need context to confirm) rejected Avengers membership. Just another example of her canon greatness. <333 Here's some Pablo Raimondi Layla Miller appreciation (a collage I put together for a different thread):

Not Avengers--she was being recruited for the Secret Warriors (or supposed to be) but she was too good for them.
    FULCRUM: An ongoing fantasy saga by Niels van Eekelen, out on Kindle and Smashwords in all e-book formats!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by NielsVanEekelen View Post
    Not Avengers--she was being recruited for the Secret Warriors (or supposed to be) but she was too good for them.
    Thanks for the clarification! Butterfly: making big waves in the MU. (Chaos theory at work).

Retired

PAD posted the cover for X-Factor #240 on his website. Sorry about the resolution, I'll edit a larger version in once it's released.

This is the cover to Run, Layla, Run. In this issue, Layla has 23 minutes to get across, on foot, a gridlocked, blacked out NYC, so she can save a teenaged girls life. I just LOVE this cover and am sharing it with you.
    I'm so excited for this! I think it might end up with Layla in tears, but it'll be an exciting issue either way.

I love it.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
    I love it.
    Every David Yardin cover is a gift. So, with 23 minutes, I guess it's a minute a page then.

Every David Yardin cover is a gift. So, with 23 minutes, I guess it's a minute a page then.
    I agree so much about Yardin. I mention it in every issue thread but... His stuff goes beyond simply serving as marketing for the book. He's one of the rare cover artists that actually elevates the content of the book itself by evoking the spirit of each issue.

I also love how he uses each cover as a way to experiment with mediums and design. Anyone who doesn't read his thoughts on each cover on DeviantArt definitely should, because they really display how much thought he puts into his work.

Also: I love Layla, so I'm super-excited for this issue. I'm conflicted on her non-appearance in AvX. I get the vibe that the writers avoided using her in order to tiptoe around the significant impact she would have on the plot if she decided to take a side (which would pretty obviously be the Avengers' side, because Layla doesn't play well with authority figures.)
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Retired

Have you seen David Yardin's tumblr 1derer? I linked to it in the Siryn thread so you might have missed it. He seems to be posting stuff there more than on his dA for some reason. It's incredible. He's showcased different versions of some of his covers there (the same images, but with a different colour pallet), and he posts character sketches almost daily. Even his most basic work has such character. I'm truly grateful to have someone so talented and original on the X-Factor covers.

As for Layla's absence from AvX, I have mixed feelings about it too. Even though this event is the culmination of everything that started with her intervention in House of M, I doubt anyone would actually want to bring Layla in, and even if they did, I think PAD would probably discourage it. He is, after all, very outspoken about his distaste for crossovers (hence why X-Factor are missing from AVX, except for what's probably only a brief cameo by Polavok). I believe he'd be right to dissuade them against using her as well. We still only have a very nebulous understanding of what the boundaries of Layla's knowledge are, and in something as large-scale as AvX, it could have huge influence, making her a major player. I'm not sure I would want anyone other than PAD to write that though. It would mess up a lot of the intrigue surrounding Layla and force her to a some sort of conclusion sooner than is right. She wouldn't be granted enough panel-time to do her justice. It's a shame though, because Layla deserves a stand-off against Hope more than most (Bishop being the only exception).

I doubt she'd side with the Avengers if she were involved though. Layla grew up in the timeline in which the Mutant Messiah (who may, or may not be Hope) had committed such atrocities that mutants were hounded by Sentinels and rounded up into concentration camps! Initially, she'd probably be against Hope receiving the Phoenix force, for that reason, but now that the Phoenix Five have it and have founded Pax Utopia, I don't see how or why she'd want to do anything to prevent it!

Have you seen David Yardin's tumblr 1derer? I linked to it in the Siryn thread so you might have missed it. He seems to be posting stuff there more than on his dA for some reason. It's incredible. He's showcased different versions of some of his covers there (the same images, but with a different colour pallet), and he posts character sketches almost daily. Even his most basic work has such character. I'm truly grateful to have someone so talented and original on the X-Factor covers.
    Yeah, I love his Tumblr too. I only point to his DA since their organizational system makes it easier to browse through his work, and the stuff there is generally his more developed works.

I doubt she'd side with the Avengers if she were involved though. Layla grew up in the timeline in which the Mutant Messiah (who may, or may not be Hope) had committed such atrocities that mutants were hounded by Sentinels and rounded up into concentration camps! Initially, she'd probably be against Hope receiving the Phoenix force, for that reason, but now that the Phoenix Five have it and have founded Pax Utopia, I don't see how or why she'd want to do anything to prevent it!
    We can assume that the Phoenix Five will end up turning bad (genre conventions!), and we can assume that Layla knows this. I'm not saying that she would "Team Up" with the Avengers so much as I'm saying that I think she would actively be subverting the goals of Cyclops in order to make things turn out favorably... But again, that would require her to be part of the story, which would require her to be a large part of the story. AvX isn't really a story she could be a bit-player in: It's either major character or nothing.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
    We can assume that the Phoenix Five will end up turning bad (genre conventions!), and we can assume that Layla knows this. I'm not saying that she would "Team Up" with the Avengers so much as I'm saying that I think she would actively be subverting the goals of Cyclops in order to make things turn out favorably... But again, that would require her to be part of the story, which would require her to be a large part of the story. AvX isn't really a story she could be a bit-player in: It's either major character or nothing.
    I still have (blind) faith in the Phoenix Five. As if Pax Utopia weren't enough, they're cleansing the world of the Avengers! We have so much to be grateful for. Think will undoubtedly go sour eventually though. And yeah, I absolutely agree with you there. It's a shame. I doubt we'll ever get to see any kind of confrontation between Layla, Hope and Wanda.