Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Losers Leave Utopia Random Black Guy's Avatar

Default Layla Miller Appreciation

Easily my favorite marvel character created in the 2000's. Her and X-Factor...have been taking large dumps on the other X Books for quite some time now. And IMO she has been elevated to an A list character. Can't wait to see some kinda Madrox+Layla one shot.

went from weird kid..to hot adult and don't lose the characters appeal

plus "She knows stuff"

I liked her better when she was a kid and we thought her mutant powers was to "know stuff"...

Her bringing people back to life powers are ultra lame and I really felt cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Black Guy View Post
    Easily my favorite marvel character created in the 2000's. Her and X-Factor...have been taking large dumps on the other X Books for quite some time now. And IMO she has been elevated to an A list character. Can't wait to see some kinda Madrox+Layla one shot.

went from weird kid..to hot adult and don't lose the characters appeal

plus "She knows stuff"

Losers Leave Utopia Random Black Guy's Avatar

Default I think that

I liked her better when she was a kid and we thought her mutant powers was to "know stuff"...

Her bringing people back to life powers are ultra lame and I really felt cheated.

her growing up was a good thing. I mean she couldn't stay a kid forever and sometimes the dynamic of her being a kid...knowing she was going to marry Madrox was creepy...

and furthermore, I don't know WHAT THE HELL her powers are..I know she brought Guido back to life. But in one book she created a force field or some shit. and supposedly she has knowledge of the mystic arts.

but even with all that she is still compelling.

Layla's power is resurrection-- but when she does so, they come back without a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by tent View Post

In this, I will agree. The big reveal of why she knew stuff and what her power actually is was a cheat. It also provided a retcon to an old character that didn't need it. What was so wrong with Fitzroy being a spoiled, rich entitled mutant who abused his powers that they needed to add a "she brought him back without his soul" bit? I mean really?

Kind of Ambiguous The Surrealist's Avatar

Layla Miller is awesome.

Kind of Ambiguous The Surrealist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kerukun878 View Post
    Layla's power is resurrection-- but when she does so, they come back without a soul.
    Yeah, what's up with that? She is blessed with suck. Oh well, sure it'll get sorted out eventually. She still "knows stuff..." so that's gonna keep her in the mix.

I really like Layla. I think her powers are confusing and always have been, but I like her attitude and I've always felt her connection to M Day would lead to her being the antidote to the Scarlet Witch's eradication of the mutants. Now it seems like thats not the case...but I still think she's fun.

I find her M tattoo really distracting though.

Quote Originally Posted by jstar!! View Post
    I really like Layla. I think her powers are confusing and always have been, but I like her attitude and I've always felt her connection to M Day would lead to her being the antidote to the Scarlet Witch's eradication of the mutants. Now it seems like thats not the case...but I still think she's fun.

I find her M tattoo really distracting though.
    Her powers are confusing because, when they were explained, the explanation that was given didn't really make much sense. For Layla to 'know stuff' the way she does, she would have to be able to see lines of reality. I'm not sure how she'd know what was going to happen everywhere in the world on a random Tuesday given the explanation. That aside, I think the pages light on when Layla is on them. She's my favorite member of the team.

Who thinks she's going to die in the next issue?

Layla is a major scene stealer. One of my favourite things about her is that she's not content to use what she has. She's constantly learning new things.

She's a mutant who is a skilled user of technology and magic, and the survivor of long-term time travel to a dystopian future. She is willing to bring about the deaths of others, and study at the feet of tyrants. She's shown with Guido that she also cares deeply for those around her.

Bendis may have "created" her, but David deserves the credit for making her into one of the most intriguing characters in comics.

One of my favourite things about Layla is her insistence that she has no free will (and neither does anyone else, but she can see how she doesn't). It's fascinatingly grim outlook on life, and I always enjoy thinking about how it must inform her actions.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Layla is one of my favorite new characters, but she is less interesting and creepy now that she is grown up. When she came back she never really came back because she is different. She is still herself, but she changed. I don't dislike her, but she isn't the scene stealer fan fav she used to be.
    My Canon > Your Canon

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Layla is one of my favorite new characters, but she is less interesting and creepy now that she is grown up. When she came back she never really came back because she is different. She is still herself, but she changed. I don't dislike her, but she isn't the scene stealer fan fav she used to be.
    In my opinion, part of the point of her transition to adulthood was that it doesn't matter with her. She's still the exact same person. This theme is reinforced by the many times Layla has been criticized by others for continuing to show traits that she exhibited as a child. As a child she didn't act like a child, but she doesn't act like an adult now either... She just acts like Layla.

I understand the child thing on an aesthetic level though. Simply seeing a child in action was immediately subversive. There have been a few instances where Adult Layla has managed similar creepiness, but not many.

Still, overall I'm glad to see it happen, if only because its a rare event: A major, and likely permanent part of a character's development. Marvel doesn't have a lot of new characters out there, and fewer still that are exciting and well developed. Its exciting to watch the journey of a quality character like Layla slowly unfold.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Layla is still one of my favorite characters, but the thing I loved most was her interaction with Pietro, dam it was fantastic when she told madrox that she was not able to kill him implying that she tried to kill him before, she being saved to drown by him only to try to kill her, and the best when she told him that they where archnemesis. I still like her confrontation with Tryp it is a great concept the battle begins in the future came back in the present and ends in the future with her all grow up. Also I understand that she was raised in the future by Scott and Ruby I would like for her to make a comment on her childhood or something like that, well I hope that x-factor still has a long life.

Definitely one of my favourite "recent" comic images. Its rare that a splash page conveys real value to the reader, but the gorgeous penciling done on this one make it a truly worthwhile use of space. More a drawing than an illustration.

And of course, it helped that it was just a great visual moment in the series to. To see Layla turn up again in Latveria of all places.

The ending of the most recent X Factor blew me away. Totally