Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Don't be upset when your local comic book shop goes out of business. I go out of my way to have a TPB/HC pull list from my local shop cause I appreciate the fact that they exist. If you don't value that, then, yeah, go with Amazon or whomever.
    Until a year or so ago, I lived in a town where the nearest comic shop was an hour away. And circumstances changed to the point where I wasn't able to go to the one that I had a pull list set up as often as I wanted. So, I had to turn to online ordering for new comics.

Then, when I did move to an area with several comic shop options, I continued with DCBS, because it was still a better deal. Somehow, all of the comic shops in the area were still out of the way of my normal travels, and still ended up being sizable gas expendatures.

Chris Juricich

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Don't be upset when your local comic book shop goes out of business. I go out of my way to have a TPB/HC pull list from my local shop cause I appreciate the fact that they exist. If you don't value that, then, yeah, go with Amazon or whomever.

If you use the comixology website as a tool to create a pull list for your local shop, it makes things even easier. A lot easier then just surfing Amazon for new releases and such.
    When and if my local comic shop goes out of business, I will not be feeling any guilt about it one way or the other, at least in terms of making my own consumer choices to purchase where I purchase. When I didn't work in a comic shop and felt the need to keep up with comics, I'd buy what I'd buy at my LCS (the lamented Comic Relief in Berkeley) and feel no guilt over going next door to buy a TPB at 50% off.

As it stands, there are few comics out there that seriously hold my attention as they once did--and my interest is more in the medium rather than, say, the genre of superheroes (fun as they are)...so when and if I have to search out the comics from indy publishers or even from DC or Marvel that I might want, it'll be from whomever can provide me what I'm looking for at the price I'm willing to pay. It might be an LCS...it might be Amazon, or it might even be digital versions.

There are fewer service stations and gas outlets now than ever, more and more video stores are biting the dust locally, and I'm spending less money than ever with my local/national cable company because there are options. I like to support local businesses, but I also need to keep a financial eye on my expenses for my family--and spending twice as much for items locally that can be gotten digitally or online is just not sound money management.