Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ottmeister X View Post
    Maybe we should start a "dead pool" on who we think is going to be a goner before the series ends. Maybe like an odds list, ex. 3-1 or 5-1 or 50-1. I don't think we'll get a deus ex machina where it's all a dream or a nuclear bomb drops and wipes everyone out.

Examples:
    Arya 500-1 (I think she is the least likely character to die)
    Bran 100-1
    Rickon 200-1
    Cersei 5-1
    Brienne 2-1
    Jon?

Maybe a group consensus and then see how close we get when Winds comes out.
    Those odds look to high to me

Bran will almost certainly survive, so lets say he's 100 - 1 and go down from there

Bran 100 - 1
    Rickon 25 - 1
    Tyrion 10 - 1
    Arya 10-1
    Sansa 8 - 1

Cersei 0 (she won't survive)
    Jamie 1 - 5 (only 20% chance he will live)
    Brienne 1 -2
    Varys 1 - 4

Jon and Daenerys I'm not sure about. I would not be too surprised to see one of them die, but I'd be very surprised to see both die.

Jon 4 - 1
    Daenerys 4 - 1
    "Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts."

BANNED

I'm giving Stannis 3 - 1 odds

Someone should set up a bookmaker and start taking bets here!

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

I'd give 100-to-1 on Rickon (what would be the point of killing him? He's pretty clearly only there so that the Stark male line will continue to rule in the North when this is over, independent of wherever Sansa ends up).

The rest of the legitimate Stark children I think will be fine too; they've already killed three members of that family, and all the rest have been on journeys to acquire the skills needed to strike back. Jon, I don't know about (but if when comes back from his seeming death at the end of 5, I think he'll be "immunized").
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by lomiller View Post

Cersei 0 (she won't survive)
    Let's hope not. I don't think I've ever hated a fictional character like I hate Cersei.

Quote Originally Posted by sHayden View Post
    Let's hope not. I don't think I've ever hated a fictional character like I hate Cersei.
    I hate Cersei, but nowhere near as much as I hate Ramsey Bolton or Lord Walder Frey. And I hate sickly little Robert Arryn almost as much as I hate Cersei, even though he hasn't committed as many terrible deeds as Petyr Littlefinger.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I won't be shocked if he kills off another one audience favorite, especially if "heroic sacrifice" scenarios are on the table as we near the endgame.

Personally, I think Bran is a lot more likely to die than, say, Arya or Tyrion.
    Expletive Deleted

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

Jaime is the most likely death among the popular characters, I expect.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

Here's a start of names to consider putting death odds on. I couldn't decide how expansive to make the list of names since there are like 5000 names to peruse through. I tried listing names that we may care about staying alive or becoming dead, or at least significant to the story, but I'm sure there are names I missed and names I purposely left off, such as Dany's entourage or most of the Wildings, so forth. And there are probably names we can agree to removing from what I have posted below. Once we can get a general consensus of names, then next will be to place odds on their chance of death in the next couple of books.

Thoughts:
    - Anyone else get bummed like I do more that Grey Wind and Lady are dead versus the people characters? I like animals and I'm not one of those crazy animal-lover owners that treats their dog like a person, but I don't like Direwolf death. I'm thinking I won't like Dragon death neither.
    - 5000 characters. Perhaps an exaggeration but a couple of thousand is probably a minimum. I'm starting to agree with those who feel there is no way to wrap these storylines up in two books, even if they are 1000+ pages. The POV's in Winds of Winter will need to be monumental each and every chapter.
    - There's no doubt that some mid-tier characters we have taken a liking to, that we will never know their outcome in the series if he ties it up in two books. Just too many damn characters.

Characters for proposed death odds (I'm lazy and list most of them by first name basis) -
    Areo Hotah, Arya, Asha
    Barristan, Bowen, Bran, Brienne, Bronn, Brynden
    Catelyn (?), Cersei
    Daenerys, Damphair, Darkstar, Davos, Doran, Drogon
    Euron
    Gendry, Ghost, Gregor
    Hodor
    Ilyn Payne
    Jaime, Janos, Jon, Jorah
    Kevan
    Littlefinger, Loras
    Nymeria
    Mace, Mance, Margaery, Melisandre, Myrcella
    Ramsay, Rhaegal, Rickon, Roose
    Samwell, Sandor, Sansa, Shaggydog, Stannis, Summer
    Theon, Tommen, Tyrion
    Varys, Victorion, Viserion
    Walder Frey, Weeper

Who am I forgetting and who should be smote from the list?

^Kevan Lannister died at the end of ADWD...
    Justice League- Batman- Batman and Robin- Action Comics- Green Lantern- Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.- Resurrection Man

Quote Originally Posted by Ottmeister X View Post
    Who am I forgetting and who should be smote from the list?
    Ser Gregor, Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Merryn, Queen Cersei

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    Jaime is the most likely death among the popular characters, I expect.
    I don't see Jamie dying. Though I hope something bad happens to Catelyn. Zombie or not, she is such a pain to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I hate Cersei, but nowhere near as much as I hate Ramsey Bolton or Lord Walder Frey. And I hate sickly little Robert Arryn almost as much as I hate Cersei, even though he hasn't committed as many terrible deeds as Petyr Littlefinger.
    I forgot about Robert Arryn, glad his mother is dead too.
    Petyr Baelish does not bother me at all. He is wicked, but Martin always remembers to point out he's the smallest fish in a big pond. He's surviving and thriving. Good on him.

Most of the short stories I've read from Martin end sadly. So I am expecting most characters to die.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Most of the short stories I've read from Martin end sadly. So I am expecting most characters to die.
    He also likes to turn the tables on us, so I expect that among the few survivors will be characters we really hate, and that they may even end up in some position of power!

(Maybe they'll have shown to be not as bad as we first thought, though, just so we don't storm Martin's house with torches and pitchforks)!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    He also likes to turn the tables on us, so I expect that among the few survivors will be characters we really hate, and that they may even end up in some position of power!

(Maybe they'll have shown to be not as bad as we first thought, though, just so we don't storm Martin's house with torches and pitchforks)!
    Jon and Dany heroically rescue the realm form The Others, only to die and be forgotten as Petyr Baelish acends the throne with Sansa on his arm (I felt dirty typing it).

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Jon and Dany heroically rescue the realm form The Others, only to die and be forgotten as Petyr Baelish acends the throne with Sansa on his arm (I felt dirty typing it).
    I see it being more like the ending of Tigana with family members being very near each other but dieing or disappearing without ever meeting again of knowing just how near they are.