View Poll Results: Do you feel that DC is racially insensitive?

Voters
229. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, they don't handle minority characters well and it needs to change.

    105 45.85%
  • No, because ______.

    81 35.37%
  • I don't care.

    43 18.78%
Page 1 of 231 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 3461
  1. #1

    Arrow Diversity in the DCU

    Anyone else find that for all the talk of making the DCU more 'diverse' that there is almost a regression occurring instead? I mean we have Wonder Girl, Supergirl and Batgirl all as blonde and white for one thing. Ryan Choi seems to be getting knocked aside, John Stewart appears to me at least as Hal Jordan's black sidekick at most. Freedom Beast is now dead. The human members of the Legion of Super-heroes seem to be very much white. Tasmanian Devil is dead and Obsidian is an egg. Other than Batwoman what evidence is there of a diverse DCU?

    Just curious to see what other people think about this.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,911

    Default

    Black Lightning is in Outsiders.
    Lightning and Mr. Terrific are in JSA.
    The Question is in back ups.
    Blue Beetle and Static are in Teen Titans.
    Firestorm has been appearing regularly in a few places, as has Vixen.
    Milestone Forever #1 came out a week ago.


    It's not great, but it's a lot better than it used to be.

  3. #3
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danvh3 View Post
    Black Lightning is in Outsiders.
    Lightning and Mr. Terrific are in JSA.
    The Question is in back ups.
    Blue Beetle and Static are in Teen Titans.
    Firestorm has been appearing regularly in a few places, as has Vixen.
    Milestone Forever #1 came out a week ago.


    It's not great, but it's a lot better than it used to be.
    Not only that, but Cyborg's finally graduated to the JLA and Tattooed Man and Chesire are going to be in the new Titans book.

    And there's the Secret Six, which has a mixed race Brazillian lesbian as the leader and Bane, a Latino is there is well.

    It's certainly not the best it could be, but it's certainly something.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfreeman View Post
    Not only that, but Cyborg's finally graduated to the JLA and Tattooed Man and Chesire are going to be in the new Titans book.
    I'm trying to ignore that this new JLA series exists. Makes me mad. I've wanted Vic and Kory in the JLA for years, and when they finally get there, I can't bear to read it.

    Either way, there's a good amount of diversity to be had in the DCU.

  5. #5
    whore of decadence burr787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    • Azreal has an ongoing
    • The Teen Titans have a pretty solid mix of races
    • Detective has two gay leads
    • Robin is half Asian
    • Kyle is the lead in Corps.
    • Once again there is a variety of races in JLA.
    • These arn't really important, but the red circle books now have Jaguar and Hooded Justice.
    • The great ten was just given a mini

  6. #6
    Member Artificial idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danvh3 View Post
    Lightning and Mr. Terrific are in JSA.
    Not to mention Obsidian is only really going to be an egg for one storyline. I don't think Willingham would just throw him away afterwards, and to be honest... I don't think he could push him any further into the background than Johns did.

  7. #7
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artificial idiot View Post
    Not to mention Obsidian is only really going to be an egg for one storyline. I don't think Willingham would just throw him away afterwards, and to be honest... I don't think he could push him any further into the background than Johns did.
    He's on the cover for the upcoming JLA/JSA crossover.

  8. #8
    Open Wide The Chief5425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    436

    Default

    I try to avoid these "not enough diversity Oppression Olympics" threads, but just as a point of clarification--Obsidian is black colored because of his power but he's not of African descent, right? Just curious.

  9. #9
    My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland!
    Posts
    10,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burr787 View Post
    • Azreal has an ongoing
    • The Teen Titans have a pretty solid mix of races
    • Detective has two gay leads
    • Robin is half Asian
    • Kyle is the lead in Corps.
    • Once again there is a variety of races in JLA.
    • These arn't really important, but the red circle books now have Jaguar and Hooded Justice.
    • The great ten was just given a mini
    Half asian? He is?

    Talia is not asian, nor is Bruce Wayne.
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

    Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

    Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

  10. #10
    Elder Member Karl O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Posts
    17,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Chief5425 View Post
    I try to avoid these "not enough diversity Oppression Olympics" threads, but just as a point of clarification--Obsidian is black colored because of his power but he's not of African descent, right? Just curious.
    I think they mean because he is gay.

    He fancies men.

    This falls under diversity as well.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

  11. #11
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    Half asian? He is?

    Talia is not asian, nor is Bruce Wayne.
    Talia's mother was white, chinese and arab. I don't think anyone has any idea what race Ras al Ghul belongs to, but Talia is certainly mixed, and by proxy Damian would be as well.

    Certainly not half asian, but he's definately mixed.
    Last edited by Free-Man; 02-09-2010 at 07:40 AM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    Half asian? He is?

    Talia is not asian, nor is Bruce Wayne.
    We sure about that? Do we know about Martha Wayne?

  13. #13
    whore of decadence burr787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfreeman View Post
    Talia's mother was white, chinese and arab. I don't think anyone has any idea what race Ras al Ghul belongs to, but Talia is certainly mixed, and by proxy Damian would be as well.

    Certainly not half asian, but he's definately mixed.
    Really? I always thought that Talia was middle eastern or something? That and didn't Resurrection of Ras al Ghul show Ras in an middle eastern setting?

  14. #14
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burr787 View Post
    Really? I always thought that Talia was middle eastern or something? That and didn't Resurrection of Ras al Ghul show Ras in an middle eastern setting?
    I'm really not sure about Ras, but in Birth of a Demon, they say that Talia's mom was white, Chinese, and Arab.

  15. #15

    Default

    To clarify, according the 'Birth of the Demon', Ras Al Ghul is from the Middle East so he is an Arab. Talia is mixed; Arab and Chinese.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •