Page 446 of 668 FirstFirst ... 346396436442443444445446447448449450456496546 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,690 of 10018
  1. #6676
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Anyway speaking of which even though its been close to 9 years now since Lorna and Wanda interacted in the 616 and back then it wasn't much. Interest in their potental for having somekind of relationship certainly continues in no small part I suspect because Marvel sister/sister relationships are fairly rare and they are highest profile sisters of the Marvel universe with strong and in many cases opposing views and they are both massively powerful.





    http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=...laris#/d5ohjva
    I wonder how the two sisters would react to each other nowadays.

    I don't imagine Lorna to be too personally aggressive towards Wanda over the numerous debacles she's been involved in.

    It is a shame that sense of family unity from Children's Crusade has disappeared with AvX, though, saying that- I feel that familial touch may still be there... the tensions between Wanda and Magneto in AvX seemed more political than personal as they had that moment during the final battle... Pietro probably still holds some personal animosity towards his father due to AvX.

    I think Lorna's impersonal attitude towards Wanda probably signifies a lot of how she views her... she doesn't think much of her. Wanda, however, I can see being resentful towards Lorna for having been allied to Magneto too much and being so willing to fight her during AvX. Lorna would probably have a one line put down if Wanda ever gets iffy with her.

    It's Lorna's attitude towards Magneto which should be most interesting. It could go a number of ways... I think she's most probably still not willing, or ready, to approach him after the revelation about the plane crash. If she stays in character I don't see her holding a grudge regarding not telling her directly- she's never been the type- but obviously I do think she would've preferred he told her rather than assuming he knew best, deciding to avoid her for most of her life and go on with his way instead. I think she could also give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his current circumstances- not his fault he's on the run, obviously its not like she would expect him to hand himself in (Magneto's line to Storm in Consequences #4 rings rue here).

    BTW those cosplay outfits are amazing :D
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

  2. #6677
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,947

    Default

    I hope to find some time to produce some Lorna Dane art for this thread. I may just have to scan an illo I did several years ago -- until I find time to create a new one.
    Nice story I look forward to seeing your scan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    I haven't thought about how 70s Lorna's hair looked with that costume. I guess the long, flowing locks of the 60s could be considered a bit hippie??
    It was part of the era certainly, but they weren't the only group with that look in the late 60s.

    It is kind of funny on how in some ways Lorna as a character is very traditional in her thinking and in some ways she is the exact opposite.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.

  3. #6678
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    I wonder how the two sisters would react to each other nowadays.

    I don't imagine Lorna to be too personally aggressive towards Wanda over the numerous debacles she's been involved in.

    It is a shame that sense of family unity from Children's Crusade has disappeared with AvX, though, saying that- I feel that familial touch may still be there... the tensions between Wanda and Magneto in AvX seemed more political than personal as they had that moment during the final battle... Pietro probably still holds some personal animosity towards his father due to AvX.

    I think Lorna's impersonal attitude towards Wanda probably signifies a lot of how she views her... she doesn't think much of her. Wanda, however, I can see being resentful towards Lorna for having been allied to Magneto too much and being so willing to fight her during AvX. Lorna would probably have a one line put down if Wanda ever gets iffy with her.

    It's Lorna's attitude towards Magneto which should be most interesting. It could go a number of ways... I think she's most probably still not willing, or ready, to approach him after the revelation about the plane crash. If she stays in character I don't see her holding a grudge regarding not telling her directly- she's never been the type- but obviously I do think she would've preferred he told her rather than assuming he knew best, deciding to avoid her for most of her life and go on with his way instead. I think she could also give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his current circumstances- not his fault he's on the run, obviously its not like she would expect him to hand himself in (Magneto's line to Storm in Consequences #4 rings rue here).

    BTW those cosplay outfits are amazing :D
    You are right there is potental certainly still there, but I will say its pretty clear there won't be any development between Lorna and Magneto or Wanda and Lorna for some time to come sadly. I haven't seen much Magneto and Lorna art the past few months, but the Wanda and Lorna art continues to come out at rate of about 1-3 new pieces a month.



    http://lauranthalasa.tumblr.com/post/38858746581

    There has also been an increase in Lorna and Havok art since they broke up.



    http://mistressmagnetic.tumblr.com/image/38740802190

  4. #6679
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

    It is kind of funny on how in some ways Lorna as a character is very traditional in her thinking and in some ways she is the exact opposite.
    What do you mean?

    I see her as quite pragmatic and rational. But obviously radical around the edges.

    I re-read X-Factor #249 and I must say Lorna's scenes came off even better this time, PAD did a great job with her in this issue. The writing overall I did not rate as much.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

  5. #6680
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    What do you mean?

    I see her as quite pragmatic and rational. But obviously radical around the edges.

    I re-read X-Factor #249 and I must say Lorna's scenes came off even better this time, PAD did a great job with her in this issue. The writing overall I did not rate as much.
    A case of what I am talking about would be her relationship with Alex over the years. Though on and off and often messed up it has at the same time been quite traditional. On one level Lorna seems to like traditions on another she views them as stupid and unnecessary.

    I think part of the dichotomy comes from her attempts at times to make her life and her world normal. I am not just talking about the 70s thru 90s, even at her wedding she wanted a very traditional set up I suspect in large part to try to create a shield of normality around her. When the shield of normality broke she needed another shield to put up exemplified by the outfit she made.

    From a more real world prospective I think alot of it has to do with the era the character had her starting roots in. It was an era in transition between two pretty distinct sets of sets of views and values and her early depictions show the divide depending on who was writing her.

    Last edited by jmc247; 12-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.

  6. #6681
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    A case of what I am talking about would be her relationship with Alex over the years. Though on and off and often messed up it has at the same time been quite traditional. On one level Lorna seems to like traditions on another she views them as stupid and unnecessary.

    I think part of the dichotomy comes from her attempts at times to make her life and her world normal. I am not just talking about the 70s thru 90s, even at her wedding she wanted a very traditional set up I suspect in large part to try to create a shield of normality around her. When the shield of normality broke she needed another shield to put up exemplified by the outfit she made.

    From a more real world prospective I think alot of it has to do with the era the character had her starting roots in. It was an era in transition between two pretty distinct sets of sets of views and values and her early depictions show the divide depending on who was writing her.

    I don't think she's really traditional in that sense at all anymore.

    I just tried making a point against the wedding being symptomatic of how traditional she remained in her thinking, though it struggled to hold in my mind- but basically I feel it did not truly reflect her very... non-traditional... innermost thoughts and views, but was rather indicative of more superficial effort to hang on to this (false) sense of normality- as you said. It was a psychological shield from the trauma she experienced. So I'll give you that in that she viewed tradition as a form of stability and normality, but rather than her way of thinking being truly traditional/conventional at the time. Nevertheless she was fairly insane to boot!

    I think, due to her experiences, she completely lost the traditional mentality by the time she initially joined X-Factor and she became much more realistic and rational from then on. And was moving towards seeking happiness through personal fulfillment, no matter how unconventional, than to be 'normal.'

    It's this essentially independent, usually non-conventional way of thinking and acting that distanced her from Alex, who is still very much more rigid and conventional in his thinking. We saw this time and time again, and it strengthened with experiences, and this ultimately led to their break up in X-Factor #245 when Alex fully realized and finally accepted she was not the person he first met.

    I do agree though that the bumps and steps backwards along the way towards this progressive development in her mentality were due to the era she was created in that gave writers a conflicted idea of who she was and so on.

    I hope I made sense there...

    BTW I really love how she's no longer in a book with Alex and standing alone for once. :) It is empowering.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

  7. #6682
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    There has also been an increase in Lorna and Havok art since they broke up.
    You're right, there's lots of art featuring them on the Mistress Magnetic tumblr.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m1fat7eTST1qdep0so1_1280.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	106379

    http://mistressmagnetic.tumblr.com/image/20126436943

  8. #6683
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    You're right, there's lots of art featuring them on the Mistress Magnetic tumblr.
    No small amount of that I suspect is that alot of fans tend to be more interested in showing their interest in something when they don't have it around anymore. So, alot more art of them has come out since they broke up then say the entire 8 months earlier in the year. That might be why Scarlet Witch and Lorna are still getting more then their fair share of art made of them together.

    I do agree though that the bumps and steps backwards along the way towards this progressive development in her mentality were due to the era she was created in that gave writers a conflicted idea of who she was and so on.
    Oh, I agree she has certainly developed as a character, though what is considered 'traditional' has changed with time as well. Many ideas about womens roles in relationships which were new and divisive in 1968 are now considered traditional in the modern era.

  9. #6684
    Psychic Sniper Psyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

    Anyway speaking of which even though its been close to 9 years now since Lorna and Wanda interacted in the 616 and back then it wasn't much. Interest in their potental for having somekind of relationship certainly continues in no small part I suspect because Marvel sister/sister relationships are fairly rare and they are highest profile sisters of the Marvel universe with strong and in many cases opposing views and they are both massively powerful.





    http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=...laris#/d5ohjva
    I'd really like to see them interact again for precisely these reasons.

  10. #6685
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    How many times have we heard this speech from Lorna?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polarisscan1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	106444

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polarisscan2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	106445

  11. #6686
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    How many times have we heard this speech from Lorna?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polarisscan1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	106444

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polarisscan2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	106445
    A fair number.

    I heard a Havok fan once call what he goes though where he realizes his self esteem issues and fights though them only to be knocked back down to square A again chronic epiphany syndrome. Lorna has certain been effected by it in different ways as well over the years.

  12. #6687
    Senior Member zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    A fair number.

    I heard a Havok fan once call what he goes though where he realizes his self esteem issues and fights though them only to be knocked back down to square A again chronic epiphany syndrome. Lorna has certain been effected by it in different ways as well over the years.
    Chronic Epiphany Syndrome....that's funny! Mother Hen Popo is better filling the role of long-winded lecturer that just can't keep her trap shut. I find the PAD issues where Lorna`s lines are limited or entirely absent are my favorite issues.

  13. #6688
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    A fair number.

    I heard a Havok fan once call what he goes though where he realizes his self esteem issues and fights though them only to be knocked back down to square A again chronic epiphany syndrome. Lorna has certain been effected by it in different ways as well over the years.
    That does make sense. Havok will most assuredly be brought back to "square A" in Uncanny Avengers to make Rogers look totes awesome.

  14. #6689
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    That does make sense. Havok will most assuredly be brought back to "square A" in Uncanny Avengers to make Rogers look totes awesome.
    Exactly. Havok's regression has been going on since War of Kings- whenever there are other leading characters around. He was brilliant and likeable under Yost, but particularly since PAD got a hold of him the return to "Square A" has been more marked. Havok was back to being portrayed as an out of touch dick (to be blunt), and although that was a justified portrayal regarding his relationship to Lorna, on the whole, it didn't help his character development to a more realized, competent person.

    His role in the UA so far seems to be a big farce which essentially mocks his character, seemingly ignoring the positive development he had under Yost. I'm hoping Remender changes that since supposedly he's a fan.

    Havok may be on the biggest Marvel title at the moment, but Lorna has it much better at the moment, it seems.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

  15. #6690
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    That does make sense. Havok will most assuredly be brought back to "square A" in Uncanny Avengers to make Rogers look totes awesome.
    The next six months will tell the story in that regard. Alot of writers regress him so they can say they furthered his development. It soon will become quite apparent on if the writer intends to do that or worse have Cap be the defacto leader of the team and further break down Havok to build up Rodgers as you bring up.

    Hopefully over on X-Factor we see more of aggressive, but intelligent Lorna in Hell on Earth War.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •