Page 438 of 668 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442448488538 ... LastLast
Results 6,556 to 6,570 of 10018
  1. #6556
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,939

    Default

    Lorna's interest for me is also somewhat rooted in her ability to care, sometimes too much and sometimes to her own personal detriment. She has been willing to care about her boyfriend to the extent where she basically lets him hijack her life for long periods of time. She was willing to go to the far corner of the Earth to help lead a mutant rebellion and try to make a better place for other mutants.



    That gets to another area I care about her. She doesn't have a black and white/good vs evil mindset about the world. She is willing to try new things and see things from others point of view... at least most of the time for more then a decade and a half.

    I also like that she has a father that is both similar and different in many ways and one that because of all that he has done she will always have trouble measuring up to him. I can certainly relate to that personally.

    Anyway Polaris art.

    Last edited by jmc247; 11-22-2012 at 09:31 PM.

  2. #6557
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Hello guys it been a long time since I didn't post in Polaris thread and read some comic where she is in it how our Lorna doing? any new and update?

  3. #6558
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    I relate to Polaris because of her passion. Even during the times where I felt her passions were misplaced (like right now for instance), she seems to really dive into whatever she's doing and become fully invested while forgetting other important aspects of her life. I'm totally the same way. Present a diversion, and you'll forget entirely that a major storyline just got dropped and is likely forgotten for another decade. Perhaps its a lack of commitment to see things through to the end for fear of what one might find or committing to a wrong path. But yeah, Polaris can be quite wishy washy and it shows in her abrupt changes in focus over the years from super hero, to education, to love, to family...for a peripheral character, she has her finger in too many pies, which is a good thing for potential future interaction and development and a bad thing since focus usually ends up on the already developed areas (love and rehashed interactions with the same characters).

    I agree with you lorna always been passion it and single minded individual I always found her to be more appealing and better character than jean Grey i think Lorna developed as character and went through a lot of changes in past decades from Havok wussy girlfriend to a bitchy lorna from x-factor to crazy lorna from morrison run till our days. I always seen also as possessive she has hard time to let go remember what happened when she discovered havok and nurse annie relationship

  4. #6559
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    Would it be really odd of me if I only really liked and was truly interested in Polaris from the moment she was possessed by Malice? Because from that point she seemed very focused, determined, strong-willed...and not the woe-begotten, melodramatic (read crazy) perpetually distressed damsel she became afterwards. Everytime I read StrongPolaris I wondered why did she not adopt and portray the positive qualities that Malice brought out?
    It's not unheard of. Last years when we had "Polaris week" there was a poll that asked about favorite incarnations of Lorna and many people seemed to like Malice.

    ---

    Aaaand now that I'm finally off work and can reply to the topic of this thread.

    I like Polaris because I love that she delves into whatever she does whole-heartedly. Whether it's obsessing over Alex, the mutant cause, or a space war, she gives it her all. I also like her ability to bounce back from tragedy. When most characters suffer some sort of tragic event, their story just becomes a "poor me" story arc but not Lorna, after surviving the massacre of Genosha she came back stronger than ever and became perhaps one of my all time favorite comic book characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by iam View Post
    Hello guys it been a long time since I didn't post in Polaris thread and read some comic where she is in it how our Lorna doing? any new and update?
    She now knows her origin story, has received a new costume, and split up with Alex on good terms. She's currently appearing in X-Factor. Welcome!

  5. #6560
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Lorna's interest for me is also somewhat rooted in her ability to care, sometimes too much and sometimes to her own personal detriment. She has been willing to care about her boyfriend to the extent where she basically lets him hijack her life for long periods of time. She was willing to go to the far corner of the Earth to help lead a mutant rebellion and try to make a better place for other mutants.

    That gets to another area I care about her. She doesn't have a black and white/good vs evil mindset about the world. She is willing to try new things and see things from others point of view... at least most of the time for more then a decade and a half.

    I also like that she has a father that is both similar and different in many ways and one that because of all that he has done she will always have trouble measuring up to him. I can certainly relate to that personally.

    Anyway Polaris art.

    Yes!

    I like this too- Lorna is a nice, level-headed person. She's usually been depicted as intelligent, and very able to perceive the true reality of a situation, in a very no-nonsense manner. She has insight, whereas others sometimes don't.

    I don't quite know how to explain it- but we always see it regardless of the writer and the era... she can see what really matters to achieve the greater good. She doesn't get caught up in silly emotions and purist idealism, even if it means going a bit far... and the other characters don't mind it because they know she has the best intentions.

    She has that self-actualizing, objective ability to seeing things.

    And yes, the art- a classic :) I couldn't really get bored of :)
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

  6. #6561
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post

    I like Polaris because I love that she delves into whatever she does whole-heartedly. Whether it's obsessing over Alex, the mutant cause, or a space war, she gives it her all. I also like her ability to bounce back from tragedy. When most characters suffer some sort of tragic event, their story just becomes a "poor me" story arc but not Lorna, after surviving the massacre of Genosha she came back stronger than ever and became perhaps one of my all time favorite comic book characters.
    Hmm, I don't think Lorna quite bounced back from Genosha. I think she did in the sense that she wasn't self-pitying afterwards, she was mentally unstable and traumatized... but she didn't seem to feel bad for herself. The one time she did was decimation... and that was definitely understandable... X-Men #177-186 is when she really hit rock bottom, she was only just starting to show signs of emotional recovery from what happened on Genosha beforehand and then she has to deal with yet another tragedy... but yes, she made it through that too, defiant :)
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

  7. #6562
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Hmm, I don't think Lorna quite bounced back from Genosha. I think she did in the sense that she wasn't self-pitying afterwards, she was mentally unstable and traumatized... but she didn't seem to feel bad for herself. The one time she did was decimation... and that was definitely understandable... X-Men #177-186 is when she really hit rock bottom, she was only just starting to show signs of emotional recovery from what happened on Genosha beforehand and then she has to deal with yet another tragedy... but yes, she made it through that too, defiant :)
    When I say "bounce back" I meant that she didn't go into some depressed state like she did after Decimation. Instead she was more driven after Genosha.

  8. #6563
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    When I say "bounce back" I meant that she didn't go into some depressed state like she did after Decimation. Instead she was more driven after Genosha.
    I think part of it was her heavy power use kept her in a hypermanic state and she also decided to direct that energy into a 'never again' mindset that she can't bring back the dead, but she can stop those planning their own anti-mutant mass killings now.

    After Decimation she went from high power use to no power which I think also added greatly to her depression at that time.

  9. #6564
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Yes!

    I like this too- Lorna is a nice, level-headed person. She's usually been depicted as intelligent, and very able to perceive the true reality of a situation, in a very no-nonsense manner. She has insight, whereas others sometimes don't.

    I don't quite know how to explain it- but we always see it regardless of the writer and the era... she can see what really matters to achieve the greater good. She doesn't get caught up in silly emotions and purist idealism, even if it means going a bit far... and the other characters don't mind it because they know she has the best intentions.

    She has that self-actualizing, objective ability to seeing things.

    And yes, the art- a classic :) I couldn't really get bored of :)
    Its often hard for me to discern what the other X-Men think of her... well other then 4 or 5 members. Even less if one subtracts Xavier and now Havok.

  10. #6565
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Its often hard for me to discern what the other X-Men think of her... well other then 4 or 5 members. Even less if one subtracts Xavier and now Havok.
    It really is hard to tell what other X-Men think of her. With most of the classics it's pretty easy, but unfortunately Lorna's just not there yet.

  11. #6566
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    It really is hard to tell what other X-Men think of her. With most of the classics it's pretty easy, but unfortunately Lorna's just not there yet.
    That is one of the things I think that has long prevented fans of the other X-Men from getting attached to her. If you don't know what your favorite characters thinks of her its easy for people to just toss her mentally into the pile of green haired extra.

    I mean just look at Storm or Rogue. They have interacted a whole bunch of times, but always superficially, and they have fought, but always when one of them was mind controlled... so its hard to go from there to have an idea at least based on their interaction what either character thinks of Lorna.

    We also don't know what Lorna thinks of them... but they are only two high profile examples.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-23-2012 at 09:12 PM.

  12. #6567
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    That is one of the things I think that has long prevented fans of the other X-Men from getting attached to her. If you don't know what your favorite characters thinks of her its easy for people to just toss her mentally into the pile of green haired extra.

    I mean just look at Storm or Rogue. They have interacted a whole bunch of times, but always superficially, and they have fought, but always when one of them was mind controlled... so its hard to go from there to have an idea at least based on their interaction what either character thinks of Lorna.

    We also don't know what Lorna thinks of them... but they are only two high profile examples.
    That is a good point. I know that many Havok and Jean Grey fans like Polaris, which makes sense considering both of the those characters have a history with Lorna.

    Part of what I liked about Milligan's run (besides the fact that he kept her relevance) was that she was interacting with a group outside of her usual select few characters. I wish he could've kept going with his run because he's even said Lorna was one of his favorite X-Men to write.

  13. #6568
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    That is a good point. I know that many Havok and Jean Grey fans like Polaris, which makes sense considering both of the those characters have a history with Lorna.

    Part of what I liked about Milligan's run (besides the fact that he kept her relevance) was that she was interacting with a group outside of her usual select few characters. I wish he could've kept going with his run because he's even said Lorna was one of his favorite X-Men to write.
    Magneto fans who are a big fandom also like Lorna, but they only started on mass liking her when Marvel started developing a relationship between them starting in 1999/2000. One of the biggest things still holding back full acceptance of her parentage is that we have very little idea what Pietro or Wanda thinks of her. The last comic where we get some sense of it was pre-parentage revel in Dark Seduction in 2000. Even though I had issues with the series it was the only 616 comic that really presented all four of them as a sort of messed up family. Lorna was depicted as part of the family in all, but name.







    I really don't understand why Marvel has not re-released the comic in Trade or Hardcover form. Lets just say few modern fans have read it. Because, fans haven't gotten any idea what Wanda or Lorna think of each other and have to go back to when Bill Clinton was President to have an idea what Pietro and Lorna think of each other lets just say the biggest problem Lorna continues to have with her acceptance of being part of the family (when it comes to fandom) comes from Wanda and Pietro fans who even if they are ok with her being part of the family don't really emotionally connect her to it as she has no post revel relationship to speak of with Wanda and Pietro nor do we even have an idea what she thinks of them or what they think of her.

    Giving us an idea of what Lorna thinks about Wanda and Pietro at least would be some improvement there and its something that can happen without a crossover which as we know probably won't happen for many years to come.

    But, the whole thing is case in point of why Lorna fandom has trouble building outside its normal limits. There is alot of crossover with Jean Gray fans, Havok fans, and Magneto fans also being big Lorna fans. I will admit I might not have taken an interest to Lorna if not for her Genosha storyline to HoM which obviously involved Magneto. I have been since around 1991 a big fan of Magneto and her relationship to him got me to focus on her character and to reread up on her in a way I wouldn't have otherwise when I was getting back into comics in 2004. I admit even though I read X-Factor from pre-PADs first run through his first run with her in the 90s she at the time even though she was the female lead of the book at the time didn't stand out for me and I didn't think of her as anything more then Havok's green haired girlfriend.

  14. #6569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alf_to_the_rescue View Post
    I think it's more a long jacket.
    Agreed. Actually, I guess a long jacket is just a coat? I was going to say that I wouldn't mind it as a short - waist length jacket. But it looks like it's trying to hard to be a cape -- and I don't think Lorna needs a cape.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    Agent Brand is the alternate future love child of Polaris and Erik the Red, it just hasn't been revealed yet.
    I was always bothered by the line in X-Men 107, I think it was when it was stated that Erik the Red learned of the X-Men through Polaris and Havok, but refused to reveal how he learned of Polaris. Always seemed like Claremont had some ideas there concerning Lorna's history, and just never follow up on it.
    Last edited by kcekada; 11-24-2012 at 02:51 PM.

  15. #6570
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was always bothered by the line in X-Men 107, I think it was when it was stated that Erik the Red learned of the X-Men through Polaris and Havok, but refused to reveal how he learned of Polaris. Always seemed like Claremont had some ideas there concerning Lorna's history, and just never follow up on it.
    Claremont had several possible storyline ideas with Lorna, none of which other then her relationship with Havok went anywhere long term. I have a great deal of respect for Claremont and his work, though I personally find little redeemable about his run regarding Lorna. I agree with TGU though that it would have been a very different story had her parentage not been retconned as she would have been connected to a character Claremont actually gave a damn about and it would have given her something other then Havok's gf, occasional x-ally and mind controlled enemy.

    Anyway I was looking at Hasbro's figures for 2013 and it seems like they have as much interest in her as the Marvel video game makers over the years.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •