Page 277 of 668 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327377 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 10018
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    I love these recaps, Mitteloss. Good job.
    Thank you and thanks for patience with me delivering these results. :)
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan

Average Grade: B

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan was a five part mini-series and the second part of the space era written by Chris Yost and drawn by Paco Diaz. It started in September 2007, a few months following the ending of RAFOTSE as editorial intended for a follow up series to cover Vulcan's reign as Emperor and the newly formed X-Jammers' resistance and fight against him. During this series- Polaris, Havok, Rachel, Korvus, Ch'od, Raza and Lilandra- alongside with a defected part of the Shi'Ar military joined forces.

The series was generally well received and was considered popular with its readers- many noting the good improvement from RAFOTSE. This, to many fans, was what they had also hoped RAFOTSE would be more like- well paced with each character having a distinctive voice that portrayed their best past characterizations and attributes. Polaris was strong-willed, witty and intelligent, Rachel was sensible and calmer compared to her previous depictions and Havok a capable and determined leader. Polaris made friends with Rachel Grey and Ch'od which was well liked by fans.

Other than being well-written- the series is mostly remembered by Polaris fans for her feats in issue #5- Polaris singlehandedly defended the Starjammer with a magnetic force field from enemy warship attacks, threw a massive electromagnetic bolt across space to destroy an attacking Shi'Ar warship and commanded the X-Jammers when the ship was overrun by the Imperial Guard- allowing Rachel to save the M'Krann Crystal and the whole of reality and defeating the first wave of Imperial Guard members that boarded the ship alongside Ch'od. This was seen as continuing with the strong, defiant, resilient attitude she displayed at the end of X-Men #187 before the space era had begun- Lorna did not let her emotions overwhelm her. The art was well liked, I particularly liked Diaz's expressive and emotive facial expressions on the characters which told the story even more effectively.

Still- the ending which saw Polaris captured and gave no follow-up to the mini-series was deemed a disappointment with fans and this probably dented fan opinion of this part of the space saga. The series was therefore deemed good but not great.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

War of Kings

Average Grade: B+

War of Kings was a cosmic event and the fourth part of the space era- written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and drawn by Brandon Peterson. The series was set as the final battle against Emperor Vulcan and the Shi'Ar. Thanks to Lorna, who used her connection to Crystal as ex-sister-in-law and aunt to Luna, the X-Jammers, escaping the Shi'Ar, found safety in the Inhuman ruled Kree Empire- which has already provoked Vulcan's Shi'Ar and consequently an alliance was formed as the Inhumans, Kree, X-Jammers, the Guardians of The Galaxy and other cosmic heroes teamed up against the tyranny and destruction of Emperor Vulcan and his reign.

Lorna's, through her scenes with Crystal, had a large role in the series. Lorna advised Crystal and acted as a friend- protecting Luna when her wedding to Ronan was ambushed by the Imperial Guard and ensuring Crystal's helping of the Kree people following the Imperial Guard attack be recorded and the footage spread across the Kree Empire to rally political support for Crystal and boost morale of the Kree. Fans were extremely pleased with this portrayal of Lorna- not only had DnA been the first writers since Peter Milligan to acknowledge 616 Lorna's relation to the HoM, but she as also portrayed as strong willed, intelligent, sassy, witty, politically savvy and adept and friendly- with some saying her scenes with Crystal in both War of Kings and the epilogue 'Who Will Rule' were some of Lorna's best characterizations.

Other than being a fabulous and almost universally greatly positively event received by fans War Of Kings finally bought a end to the much despised character of Vulcan. Still, it was with its weak points. In a total contrast to her earlier depiction- Lorna was seen as overtly emotional and pathetic in issues #5-6 as she had given up hope of the situation at Chandilar being resolved. This was a great weakness, but the only real weakness of the series. The art by Peterson was fantastic and of great quality and the large panel which showed Lorna to use her powers in #2 was particularly well-liked by fans.

War of Kings was, in my opinion, the best written storyline I have read of the latter half of the first decade of the 21st century.

I still have best issue to reveal- but that is all!! Will reveal it sometime soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Criticisms mainly focused on the art by Kurth and from Polaris fans the fact Lorna did not do much or really have the time to talk to Magneto regarding the loose ends of their relationship and backstory.
    And she wasn't written well.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

Quote Originally Posted by alf_to_the_rescue View Post
    Completely disagreed.

Elder Member

Great summaries Mitteloss. I really do think WoK was the high point of the space arc. With a few tweaks to issues 4-6 it could have gotten a high A in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by alf_to_the_rescue View Post
    No she really wasn't was she. It was great that Carey actually acknowledged their relationship but seems to use it solely to make Magneto more sympathetic. Overall I think the general grade for the story is correct. I did enjoy it overall, I think Friendless was a great villain, Magneto's characterization in their reunion was spot on Polaris just came across as an idiot in my eyes. Still bad characterization for one character in a five year run for Carey is pretty fantastic. Shame he's gone.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    No she really wasn't was she. It was great that Carey actually acknowledged their relationship but seems to use it solely to make Magneto more sympathetic. Overall I think the general grade for the story is correct. I did enjoy it overall, I think Friendless was a great villain, Magneto's characterization in their reunion was spot on Polaris just came across as an idiot in my eyes. Still bad characterization for one character in a five year run for Carey is pretty fantastic. Shame he's gone.
    I'll admit that I felt Lorna needing Magneto to tell her how to use her powers is a down side, but as far as I see it, I can ignore that due to the way the storyline was set up and the other positives. I can forgive Lorna needing Magneto to tell her how to use her powers by reasoning that she was still a little mentally out of it after breaking free from mind control, and the fact Lorna got to keep more of her personality than the rest of the Starjammers is a big plus compared every past depiction of her while mind-controlled. It was also the first time Lorna got to actually do anything at all with Magneto in a decade. At the time, it looked like Marvel was going to act like the reveal that she was part of the Magnus family never happened, and make her character solely about being a good-looking accessory to Alex. Would I have liked Lorna's first reunion with Magneto to show her in a stronger position, and more with-it? Sure, but at least Lorna got to be a meaningful part of saving the day, and any of the few faults in her personality can be explained as a temporary after-effect of mind control. This is in direct contrast to many depictions for Lorna, where she is purely a victim in need of rescuing, and her weakness, idiocy or poor attitude is suggested as being her actual identity.

A mere mental fog and confusion caused by mind control is much, much better than making her look like she's weepy and incompetent by nature purely to build up another character.

To me, Lorna being in a mental haze because of that mind control is just as forgivable as Alex leaving Lorna at the altar to hook up with Annie. In both cases, neither were entirely in their right minds. We recognize Alex's actions and behavior were changed by Carter, and as such Alex being an asshole wasn't a natural quality in him. Likewise, we know that Lorna's behavior in Carey's space arc was affected by coming out of her mind control, meaning any overzealous feelings or seeming ineptitude on her part was not actually Lorna being stupid, just her having difficulty getting her thoughts back in order now that she's regained control over them.

If Friendless hadn't been mind-controlling Lorna the whole time, I would agree with the idea that she was written poorly. And I'd sure as hell agree that it's bad characterization if Marvel kept having her go under mind control and come out of it in a haze purely so they had an excuse to make her act like a buffoon and subordinate to other characters, whether it's Magneto or Havok or someone else entirely we're talking about here. It would be like writers repeating the called off wedding dynamic with Alex over and over. But right now, it's only happened like this once. Once we see it happen many more times, then I'll join in on condemning those depictions.

And sorry for lots of text, yet again for me.

Anyway, I saw this article earlier today.

http://www.cracked.com/article/97_7-...room-floor_p2/

That makes me see just how wrong Marvel's current attitude toward Lorna and other "lesser" characters really is. At one time, Wolverine was considered a complete nobody just wasting panel space, so worthless that there was serious consideration for permanently killing him off from the comics. This is a character that, due to heavy marketing and proper use, has become such a big character for Marvel that not only have fans seriously considered him overtaking Spiderman as the company's main mascot, but he even got his own box office film, his own cartoon series (Wolverine and the X-Men, his name put ahead of the very books that launched him), and Schism had him as the direct opposite side of a conflict with the character that's been the leader of the X-Men since the series launched. Wolverine is so big now that he's viewed as even better than the characters that started the franchise.

It's because Byrne kept Wolverine around, and Marvel editorial let him stay around and get better use and promotion, that he's such a big name today. That would NEVER have happened if, back then, Marvel followed the same attitude and logic that the X-Office is currently taking toward obscure characters. Where would the X-Men franchise be today if Wolverine got shafted the same way Lorna keeps getting shafted? Their very own history proves outright that the logic of "we should focus only on our most popular characters, characters we've never given a chance can never be successful" is wrong.

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    The series was generally well received and was considered popular with its readers- many noting the good improvement from RAFOTSE. This, to many fans, was what they had also hoped RAFOTSE would be more like- well paced with each character having a distinctive voice that portrayed their best past characterizations and attributes. Polaris was strong-willed, witty and intelligent, Rachel was sensible and calmer compared to her previous depictions and Havok a capable and determined leader. Polaris made friends with Rachel Grey and Ch'od which was well liked by fans.

Still- the ending which saw Polaris captured and gave no follow-up to the mini-series was deemed a disappointment with fans and this probably dented fan opinion of this part of the space saga. The series was therefore deemed good but not great.
    I think that sums up what I liked and didn't like about the space epic. I think overall, Lorna was written well, but the story itself felt like it jumped around a bit.
    Bring back Hawkwoman

Some Lorna related questions in this week's X-Position.

As far as couples go, Havok and Polaris' relationship seems extremely unhealthy and co-dependent. Do you think what they have at this stage is actually love? Or are they just afraid that, if they split up, they might be giving up the only semi-constant presence in their lives?

I think that Polavok (the only acceptable portmanteau for the couple, I should point out; the best such names are three syllables max) have been together for so long, that to some degree they've forgotten why they got together in the first place. I think they still feel affection, even love for each other, but they've also lost a sense of who they are as individuals. That's something that they're going to have to give serious consideration to, because they've more or less been sedentary in terms of their relationship for some time now. There needs to be some sort of progress, and whether it's progress together or separately is going to be addressed within the next year.

I'm delighted to hear that you're thinking of working on an origin for Polaris (as she's been crying out for one since 1968). On one hand, you seem to have a blank canvas given that her childhood, adoptive parents, and biological mother are virtually total unknowns. However, there's also the issue as to where Magneto (and possibly even Zaladane) fit in. Can we hope to read this story anytime soon?

Yes, you can hope.

Are Havok and Polaris going to change their costumes to a more "detective type"-style? I mean, if they're supposed to be leading a team based in a detective agency, they should look the part, right?

That's something we're strongly considering right now. If new ensembles do show up, it would likely be right around issue #241, so keep an eye out.

Last edited by blanchett; 04-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

I like Peter David.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

Retired

The prospect of a new costume for Lorna has me very excited. I realise it's an unpopular opinion among you die-hard Popo fans, but I always think she looked her best in her more casual X-Factor clothes:

PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .A: Mutant League Champions 2013

Polaris, Rahne and Banshee in Road Trip

I'm suprised that PAD is considering splitting Havok and Polaris up and there's been no comments for the posters who really hate the relationship.