Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why exactly is DC rebooting their titles?

Why exactly is DC rebooting their titles? Their continuity didn't seem too bad nowadays, this doesn't like its a addressing a problem like Crisis on Infinite Earths did. Is this mainly just to change Superman's origin so they don't have to pay Jerry Siegel's Estate and release a bunch of new number 1 issues? I hope not.

Because comic sales are pretty much dead. When your top selling book doesnt even break 100 000 you have to do something drastic

Trying to attract new readers.

Trying to refresh some stale ideas.

Trying to correct a few issues in continuity.

Trying to, in general, revitalize their entire line of comics to appeal to more readers. The digital move is a solid idea to achieve this.

To try something new and innovative. Since if they just kept on with what they were doing they would have probably continued to lose market share to Marvel. I mean I think Marvel was close to having a 2 to 1 percent share in the market, and really outside the Bat and GL titles DC wasn't competitive at all. So it isn't surprising they are doing something like this to rejuvenate their line.

Edit: Although the bottom line is they are doing it to make more money. If you want a very simple answer.
    Last edited by Badou; 07-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Publicity mainly. And it's working. People are talking about DC in a way I haven't seen for a long time, me included.

$$$$$$$$$$
    Action Comics, American Vampire, AV: Lord of Nightmares, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Batwoman, The Flash, Prophet, Uncanny X-Force

It's an attempt to draw attention to the company in an attempt to gain new readers and boost sales. It's a desperation move in a dying print market. I don't like a lot of the changes they're making, but I completely understand why they're doing it.

The Superman thing.

Ultimately in a bid to increase readership (and stay in business publishing comics, not just marketing characters)...

I get the intention behind it, but I'm not convinced it won't have the opposite effect -- not really bring very many new readers to the table but alienate what readership is currently invested.

Still, if that Marvel/DC 2:1 figure is right, I see where they'd feel like they have to do something...

But I bet Power Girl loses her monthly title and maybe disappears entirely, and the Batman narrative was a barely holding on thing for me, so to the extent that I was reading random DC titles (will Jonah Hex continue..?) I will probably not have even those to continue supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    . . . But I bet Power Girl loses her monthly title and maybe disappears entirely, and the Batman narrative was a barely holding on thing for me, so to the extent that I was reading random DC titles (will Jonah Hex continue..?) I will probably not have even those to continue supporting.
    Does Jonah Hex continue? The comic book doesn't, but Hex will get a spot headlining a new book (which actually has him traveling to Gotham City in the late 1800's in first issue).

I also heard Jonah Hex will be teaming up with Batman soon in the DC Kids title The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

The real change is that DC is rolling out digital versions of their comics. The soft reboot is a strategic move to make this an easier jumping-on point for new readers. The risk is that this will also be an easy jumping-off point for existing readers.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

BANNED

Honestly I am not sure why people are surprised DC does this once every decade. They usually just don't make such a big deal about it.

BANNED

It's not a reboot.
    It's a relaunch!
    And they're doing it to attract new readers.

Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Comics have slowly been losing readers year after year. Sometimes the numbers jump back up again, but, overall, the audience for comics are dying out. DC is trying to bring in younger readers by going digital and making their stories less continuity driven and more story driven.

It's kinda sad that when my wife asked me which GL comic she should read after we saw the movie, I couldn't think of a single one that wouldn't hopelessly confuse her with dozens of characters and back-stories she has no clue about.

I thought I could start her off with Sinestro Corps War, but then I have to explain Cyborg Superman, Superboy-Prime, The Manhunters and The Anti-Monitor to her in addition to who the hell Kyle, John & Guy are...

Hopefully, GL#1 in September will do the trick.