Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: LIVE: Greg Rucka Unleashes "The Punisher"

CBR is reporting LIVE from Marvel's Next Big Thing press conference call, where writer Greg Rucka and editor Stephen Wacker are discussing the upcoming "Punisher" relaunch.

Full article here.

From the article: "He continued that "Punisher" is basically a revenge story..."

I disagree -- or rather, that wouldn't be the approach I think works best for the character. Punisher is, to me, a story about a man pursuing justice.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Rucka always a good decent read.Might actually pick this up.

BANNED

Punisher is out for vengeance. Crime killed his family, and now he won't stop until every last one of those sons-of-bitches are in the ground.

Compare this to Batman, who is out for justice. Crime killed his family and broke the innocence of his life, and his quest is, "This is wrong. This cannot happen to anyone else. No one else dies; no one should suffer what I had to suffer". If it was about vengeance, he would’ve quit after he brought down Joe Chill and Lew Moxon. Batman is driven by an almost superhuman need to help people. Punisher's actions helping people is just a side-effect from the constant VENGEANCE he's been doing for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFury90 View Post
    Punisher is out for vengeance. Crime killed his family, and now he won't stop until every last one of those sons-of-bitches are in the ground.

Compare this to Batman, who is out for justice. Crime killed his family and broke the innocence of his life, and his quest is, "This is wrong. This cannot happen to anyone else. No one else dies; no one should suffer what I had to suffer". If it was about vengeance, he would’ve quit after he brought down Joe Chill and Lew Moxon. Batman is driven by an almost superhuman need to help people. Punisher's actions helping people is just a side-effect from the constant VENGEANCE he's been doing for decades.
    I disagree. I think both men are basically after the same thing. One is going after it as a child would, because that's when he was hurt; one is going after it as an adult would, because that's when he was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    I disagree. I think both men are basically after the same thing. One is going after it as a child would, because that's when he was hurt; one is going after it as an adult would, because that's when he was hurt.
    jim Thompson, I disagree to a point. One man thinks justice is putting people behind bars, the other man things justice is putting them in the ground... dead.

Punisher would make an awesome comparison to Captain America. To me he's almost the anti-Cap, a twisted version of what America represents. I hope Rucka does an arc (a long form story) that really fleshes out the relationship between these two.

Under no circumstances should Cap ever team up with Punisher. Civil War made it clear why that shouldn't happen.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    jim Thompson, I disagree to a point. One man thinks justice is putting people behind bars, the other man things justice is putting them in the ground... dead.

Punisher would make an awesome comparison to Captain America. To me he's almost the anti-Cap, a twisted version of what America represents. I hope Rucka does an arc (a long form story) that really fleshes out the relationship between these two.

Under no circumstances should Cap ever team up with Punisher. Civil War made it clear why that shouldn't happen.
    I think that Frank gets going after organized crime is, indeed, a war. I think he'd be an "anti-Captain America", as you phrased it, if he killed indiscriminately, but he doesn't. He goes out of his way not to put civilians in danger (at least he does when he's written well, I think) and he will disengage before getting into it with the police. Indeed, when it came to firing on police or turning himself in, he turned himself in.

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post

I agree with this, which is why post Civil War where Millar wanted to make Frank the new Captain America I thought it would've been a very very interesting idea just because of the parallels between the two.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickFury90 View Post

Punisher has said many times he does what he does to protect the innocent and that to stop what happened to his family from happening to another family.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Creator of Bocas

The simple case is that Frank, is a serial killer. He does what he does because he has to at this point. He's feeding his addiction, his need his desire. It is part of him. It is a planned well thought out pattern that continues to occur time and time again. The push was the death of his family, but he loved killing scum prior, and the death of his family was the ultimate excuse to fall into this dark pattern.
    Publisher Estrada Media
    http://graphicly.com/estrada-media

It would be interesting to see a Bounty-Hunter type of villian, chasing Frank around the US or world. Not sure if this has ever been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Estrada View Post
    The simple case is that Frank, is a serial killer. He does what he does because he has to at this point. He's feeding his addiction, his need his desire. It is part of him. It is a planned well thought out pattern that continues to occur time and time again. The push was the death of his family, but he loved killing scum prior, and the death of his family was the ultimate excuse to fall into this dark pattern.
    The serial killer bit was from the MAX version of the Punisher, not the same worlds or even same Franks.

For me, this would be a complete mischaracterization of Frank's character. Written well, Frank takes zero joy from killing his enemies.

In 616 it's not an excuse it's a tragedy.

I thought this was funny -- And I am a fellow who likes the character and is looking forward to the new series!