Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McEnery View Post
    i.e. me.

The pubs they've got in London are usually very nice old pubs.

Except, at the moment, the Covent Garden one, which is run by a pair of homophobic twonks who are suffering from a bit of a protest right now.
    When was the last time you back in the Smoke Paulie? We should have a piss up if you visit.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clarkie View Post
    When was the last time you back in the Smoke Paulie? We should have a piss up if you visit.
    It is currently threatened.

I leave my forties this year. That's good enough reason.
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

It is currently threatened.

I leave my forties this year. That's good enough reason.
    Give me a shout if you pop back.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Senior Member PiratesPensSteelers's Avatar

Friends don't let friends use the phrase "premium brew".

We prefer the term "spendy beer".
    Consider the change done. Premium brew out, Spendy beer in.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    A few of the bars around here stock Chimay. $9 a bottle. Good stuff though. I remember a distinct sweet apple flavor.
    Hopefully your date was worth the $96 tab. :)
    I remember sitting down at the bar and looking in their cooler when I spotted their oddly shapped bottles. That's what made me pick it. And then they poured it in a goblet with all this gold and stuff on it.....or what I'd call a pimp cup. I felt a little stupid drinking out of this guady thing, but it tasted good so I dealt with it.

This probably won't be too useful to those overseas, but thought I would add some anyway. My current favourites are

*San Miguel - Spanish Lager. Quite smooth
    *Bishop's Finger (Neame brewery I think) quite bitter, but very tasty.
    *Wychwood Hobgoblin, Just found a special edition clocking in at 6.6% so need to try this too.
    *Warsteiner - Very recent discovery for me. German lager, little bit of citrus going on.
    *Old Speckled Hen. Classic ale.
    *Desperados - Not for everyone, lager with tequila mixed in, discovered it at 3am on the edge of the Red Light district in Hamburg, so always brings back memories for me.

And I forgot Poachers. With a hint of liquorice. Very tasty.

Oh, and weirdly enough, in Lidl I found a (mainly) American beer that you don't usually see over here. Samuel Adams. I really liked it. Maybe as it was just a little different. Unfortunately when I went back they had sold out. As is often the way with that place.

tell me whats it all mean borateen's Avatar

Beer thread!! Yay!! I've been away from this forum for WAAAAAAAAAY too long.

In my fridge right now are some bottles of some regular Blue Moon Belgian Whites, a sixer of Schlafly AIPA and some Michelob Ultra for guests (they don't get my good stuff ). I had a bottle of Rogue Double Mocha Porter this weekend that was fantastic.

I've been on a hoppy kick for the past year or so, but now I'm starting to lean toward porters and stouts again.

tell me whats it all mean borateen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Kaye View Post
    Oh, and weirdly enough, in Lidl I found a (mainly) American beer that you don't usually see over here. Samuel Adams. I really liked it. Maybe as it was just a little different. Unfortunately when I went back they had sold out. As is often the way with that place.
    I LOVE Sam Adams...except for the standard Boston Lager. Just about everything else they make, though, is gold.

This probably won't be too useful to those overseas, but thought I would add some anyway. My current favourites are

*San Miguel - Spanish Lager. Quite smooth
    *Bishop's Finger (Neame brewery I think) quite bitter, but very tasty.
    *Wychwood Hobgoblin, Just found a special edition clocking in at 6.6% so need to try this too.
    *Warsteiner - Very recent discovery for me. German lager, little bit of citrus going on.
    *Old Speckled Hen. Classic ale.
    *Desperados - Not for everyone, lager with tequila mixed in, discovered it at 3am on the edge of the Red Light district in Hamburg, so always brings back memories for me.
    If you had to narrow that list down to 2 or 3, which would you go for?

Really hard one, but the ones I keep coming back to are Old Speckled Hen, Bishops Finger and San Miguel.

I'm guessing you had the Sam Adams standard, Boston Lager?

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I'm guessing you had the Sam Adams standard, Boston Lager?
    Not sure, I can check tonight when I get home from work, but I have a photo of my current beer stash at work on my hard drive (don't ask). The bottle is 330 ml. Blue label with a brown scrolling title on it? Can't read it properly until later...

I had a look in my local deli for some decent beers this morning, only American beers I hadn't tried were Lone Star and Brooklyn Brown Ale, does anyone recommend these? I've had the Brooklyn Lager before, thought it was alright, wasn't overly impressed though