Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Jul 6, 2011

Jason kicks things into interview mode this week as he has a conversation with "The Sixth Gun" creator Cullen Bunn about his recent transition into the world of full-time freelance comic book writing.

Full article here.

This. Was. Awesome.

Thank you Jason & thank you Cullen for sharing this.

Thanks guys. Questions:

So when you're writing 4-6 hours a day, what exactly are you writing? Novels, comic pitches, short stories... all of the above? Was there any goal (like a book of stories) to this daily grind, or was it all just for practice and experience?

Also, anyone ever try to write 4-6 hours as a second job and have your spouse/sig. other JUST NOT GET IT? What do you do?

Default Working at Home

Cullen Bunn makes some wonderful comments about how, basically, disciplined you must be to be able to work from home. For him, the transition became apparent when he quit his "day job" and took up writing full time.

Great lessons for all that experience such a change in their occupation.

Another awesome read from the great Jason Aaron! Listening (or in this case, reading) to Cullen describe how dedicated you must be in order to grow as a writer was fantastic and eye-opening. I've been trying to write more and more but I find it difficult to do so while at home due to the distractions that surround me. All the sacrifices Cullen described -- not watching TV shows, playing video games or going to the movies -- these are all loves of mine, too. Huge props to him for pulling that off! Hopefully I can disipline myself over time to ignore the distractions and focus more on the task at hand. Thanks for the insight, Cullen and Jason!

Default Children

There's no better way of breaking your TV, movie, video game habit, then having a child.

Seriously, I thought having a child would be like adding a new TV show to my rotation. An hour drama, mind you, not just a half hour sitcom.

But I was in for the smack-down of all smack-downs. All of my favorite activities just melted away, replaced by hard-nosed discipline (eventually).

As my children grow older and I reclaim some time, I'm definitely switching my attention to writing. It's going to be great!
    Last edited by DarthCommenter; 07-15-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Grr. Argh.