Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 271
  1. #1
    Senior Member Eumenides's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,421

    Post Misogyny In Comic Book Art

    A lot of artwork these days seems straight from a torture porn movie: sexual violence against women, covers showing women in demeaning poses, an increase in bondage-like art. It's getting very creepy.

    Ms. Marvel #32:


    Come on, a helpless woman, bound, dressed only in her underwear, being electrocuted in a panel that gives us a wide view of her breasts and crotch. How is this not meant to titilate? I'm amazed they forgot to gag her, though.



    Notice again how the panel showing her arm being crushed is composed: before looking at the falling hammer, which I presume is the point of interest of the panel, our eyes are led to glimpse at her perky tits first.

    Bondage and dominatrixes are also quite popular:





    I know the X-Men have a history of bondage since Claremont, but it's never too late to start amending things. There's no point in continuing to indulge in this. Surely artists can come up with new designs for evil, powerful women.

    Do you have other examples? Do you disagree?
    Last edited by Eumenides; 07-06-2011 at 06:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Eumenides's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Besides violence and bondage fascination, I'm also shocked at the demeaning poses of many female characters in covers:



    I don't know, Squirrel Girl doesn't seem very dignifiying. Just put a leash and collar on her and she's a pet girl. But it's not as bad as this:





    And unfortunately I can't find a cover depicting Catwoman resting on all fours at Batman's feet, with a dog bowl next to her. That one was really unsavory.
    Last edited by Eumenides; 07-06-2011 at 06:34 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    You might want to check the URL on the Red Queen image.

    I don't think it goes where you wanted it to go.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Eumenides's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Photobucket has censored pics like this before, so I had to use Imagevenue, which has looser criteria; I think that says something about the content of these images and kind of reinforces my point

  5. #5
    Junior Member davidboring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    273

    Default

    What annoys me is every time there is a conversation of this sort on a comic forum fans say "but the men heroes are shown in revealing poses too". Which is stupid to me because 1- superhero comic fandom is male dominated anyway so men have no reason to feel nervous there and 2- women are the gender who gets assaulted, objectified most in the world, so images like that will affect women more than men.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Eumenides's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidboring View Post
    What annoys me is every time there is a conversation of this sort on a comic forum fans say "but the men heroes are shown in revealing poses too". Which is stupid to me because 1- superhero comic fandom is male dominated anyway so men have no reason to feel nervous there and 2- women are the gender who gets assaulted, objectified most in the world, so images like that will affect women more than men.
    Exactly; our society celebrates the male physique for its power; when superheroes are shown in tattered costumes, bleeding and bruised, it's to show how amazing they are, how strong and capable of withstanding pain. No one can complain that superheroes are in revealing poses because in everyday life men can freely display their biceps and six packs without constraints. It's not the same for women.

  7. #7
    ich liebe Leni stelok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Philippines
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    if you want to see real misogyny, try reading the manga Maria + Holic
    A N I M E

  8. #8
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eumenides View Post
    Exactly; our society celebrates the male physique for its power; when superheroes are shown in tattered costumes, bleeding and bruised, it's to show how amazing they are, how strong and capable of withstanding pain. No one can complain that superheroes are in revealing poses because in everyday life men can freely display their biceps and six packs without constraints. It's not the same for women.
    ...except that's exactly what's shown in the Ms. Marvel scans. We see her being tortured and defying her captors almost effortlessly, to the point where a broken arm is used as a weapon.

    And you're complaining.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Eumenides's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...except that's exactly what's shown in the Ms. Marvel scans. We see her being tortured and defying her captors almost effortlessly, to the point where a broken arm is used as a weapon.
    I was trying not to bring attention to the fact that, besides being sexist, this was wholly ridiculous from an anatomic perspective

    There are many ways of depicting a torture scene: one has to question of the choices of the artist and the writer. Why tortured in her underwear? Why so much attention to her breasts and crotch? I think you've being very naïve if you think these choices are innocent. They're as innocent as this:





    Unless their buttocks play an important role in the story, I think these panels could have been drawn from different angles

  10. #10
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eumenides View Post
    I was trying not to bring attention to the fact that, besides being sexist, this was wholly ridiculous from an anatomic perspective

    There are many ways of depicting a torture scene: one has to question of the choices of the artist and the writer. Why tortured in her underwear? Why so much attention to her breasts and crotch? I think you've being very naïve if you think these choices are innocent. They're as innocent as this:
    Not innocent, no, but most prisoners are usually stripped naked. Abusing the genitals is a favored torture tactic as well, but there are limits in American comics

    Mind, the Brian Reed Ms. Marvel series has it's fair share of misogyny, but that torture scene isn't the best example. Being equal means putting up with the bad stuff, after all.

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Are you guys really complaining about a nice butt shot? And if you think this stuff is misogyny, go back to the golden age.

  12. #12
    Senior Member finfangfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire, US
    Posts
    3,047

    Default

    It's misogynist and it's sad, but it sells. I have friends who I'd otherwise never consider sexist or the type to objectify women who tend to buy books like Witchblade or Fathom or Bomb Queen or Hack/Slash (confession: I read none of these books, and one or all of them may be very fine and intelligent titles but when I see the cover all I see is "HEY! BOOBS! CHECK 'EM OUT!!!!"). If they bought one or two that'd be one thing, but certain guys have a tendency to buy only those types of books (or all books of that type). The Grimm Fairy Tales line (if you're not familiar, again not sure of the content of the books because I haven't felt compelled to pick them up when the covers are invariably scantily clad women with impossible physiques in unlikely poses as characters from popular stories and fairy tales) is one of the best sellers there.

    I don't even want to get into Manga, half of that stuff is women who look like 12 year olds with D-cups. The only comic I can remember making a conscious effort to have a realistic looking woman was oddly enough Ian Churchill's "the Coven" from Awesome Comics (had to google, it's been so long but her name was Phenomena and she was a heavy-set college gal). Other than those who have powers that alter their appearance (and the other 95% of their body that isn't covered in horns or other weirdness still rivals that of any supermodel's) I can't think of many others.
    A Fool for the Foom

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eumenides View Post
    A lot of artwork these days seems straight from a torture porn movie: sexual violence against women, covers showing women in demeaning poses, an increase in bondage-like art. It's getting very creepy.

    Ms. Marvel #32:


    Come on, a helpless woman, bound, dressed only in her underwear, being electrocuted in a panel that gives us a wide view of her breasts and crotch. How is this not meant to titilate? I'm amazed they forgot to gag her, though.



    Notice again how the panel showing her arm being crushed is composed: before looking at the falling hammer, which I presume is the point of interest of the panel, our eyes are led to glimpse at her perky tits first.

    Bondage and dominatrixes are also quite popular:





    I know the X-Men have a history of bondage since Claremont, but it's never too late to start amending things. There's no point in continuing to indulge in this. Surely artists can come up with new designs for evil, powerful women.

    Do you have other examples? Do you disagree?
    I disagree, I don't see anything offensive about the pictures you posted.

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Spackling Compound's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dirty Souf
    Posts
    6,246

    Default



    If you think the cover is a tease, it pretty much is just that. Batgirl is really a major screw up in the story because she has a wardrobe malfunction. Batman, at the end of the tale, patronizingly tells her to stick to superwomen's work and dont' try to do like the menfolk.

    Other than that, the dominated, stripped, beaten and abused women in comics or on the covers is up in the air for me.
    Spack, I don't agree with you on much, and I rather think you're something of a dick, but you are occasionally funny as hell. Jeffrey W.Kramer
    “Those stories do what superheroes do best - they save you." Tom Batuik on Superman comics.

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spackling Compound View Post
    ^ Now that's offensive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •