Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Should Spider-Man be an Avenger?

I mean, really? I don't get it at all. I think he's a great member of the team. I hear it said alot around here and I can't think why people say it.

Enlighten/ flame me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I mean, really? I don't get it at all. I think he's a great member of the team. I hear it said alot around here and I can't think why people say it.

Enlighten/ flame me.
    Hahaha

Although I really like spidey, and completely think that hes earned a place on The Avengers, I don't like him being on the team because the Avengers are the major, worldwide superhero team. Or at LEAST the national hero team.

Spider-Man is NOT that type of a hero. He is the hero of MANHATTAN. Not the world. I mean honestly, he's called the friendly neighborhood spider-man. Not the friendly multinational Spider-Man. He can surely be a huge member of the superhero community, but he shouldn't be on the team that is in the defense of worldwide threats or issues.

That is why

BANNED

People complain about Spider-Man being on the Avengers only for the sake of A) their favorite character was shafted for Spider-Man, B) they can't accept controversial shake ups that keep their favored franchises going, C) they are unpleaseable and will whine no matter what changes are made.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger08 View Post
    Hahaha

Although I really like spidey, and completely think that hes earned a place on The Avengers, I don't like him being on the team because the Avengers are the major, worldwide superhero team. Or at LEAST the national hero team.

Spider-Man is NOT that type of a hero. He is the hero of MANHATTAN. Not the world. I mean honestly, he's called the friendly neighborhood spider-man. Not the friendly multinational Spider-Man. He can surely be a huge member of the superhero community, but he shouldn't be on the team that is in the defense of worldwide threats or issues.

That is why
    The entire Marvel U are the heroes of Manhattan.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveDupin View Post
    The entire Marvel U are the heroes of Manhattan.
    No, they arent.

And they are heroes OF New York
    He is THEhero of MANHATTAN

big ass difference.

Daredevil is the hero of Hells Kitchen
    Spidey is manhattan
    the others may be based in NY, but Spidey is meant to be THE hero for NY

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing45 View Post
    People complain about Spider-Man being on the Avengers only for the sake of A) their favorite character was shafted for Spider-Man, B) they can't accept controversial shake ups that keep their favored franchises going, C) they are unpleaseable and will whine no matter what changes are made.
    and also.. this is not true.

BANNED

Some of these guys would have complained about Captain America (he's a solo soldier from the past not an avenger) Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (they're villains and two of them are X-men characters, what are they doing in the Avengers), Beast (he's an X-man!) and many other classic Avengers if they had been reading comics at that time.

Spider-man has teamed up with more characters in the Marvel U than anyone else and nearly all the Avengers at one point or another. He's flirted with being an Avenger in the past. If anyone should have been added to the team, it's him.

Call me crazy, but I'd say that Spider-Man has more than earned the right to be in the Avengers.
    Death is light as a feather,duty heavier than a mountain. - A saying in the Borderlands

Hahaha

That is why
    isn't he from Queens?

I think having the centeral character in the central team makes sense.

Trying to pay his debts Jess C.H.'s Avatar

and also.. this is not true.
    Yes it is.
    "I dont care who you are back in the world."

It depends how you see Spider Man.

If you see him as the Woody Allen/Charlie Brown of the M.U. who does great things but never gets the recognition for his acts then no.

You can't be downtrodden if you are in the world's premier Super-Team. That only works if you make the whole team downtrodden too(see JLI, New Avengers).

Unless you make the issue of his membership a running joke. Spidey helps the team and they are always set to induct him officially when something happens to interrupt the induction vote.

If you don't see Spidey as a hard luck dude there really isn't a problem. JMS's Spidey's acted more professional when he was around the big guns and used his science skills more.

He gets some recognition. Sure JJ trashes him but then you see kids wearing spider man shirts on the street.

I guess he will never be allowed to grow out of his woe is me whinning but he does get spots where he shows confidnece he can do that in the Avengers.

The Avengers asked Spidey to join several times over the years. Once, he even did join, but got overwhelmed a little bit and screwed up badly (touching an object that gave Nebula near unlimited power once it was touched by someone). He seems to have gotten over that. My view is that Thor brought him in the first team he joined, Cap and Iron Man the second time. If they think he is up to it, who am I to say different.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

No, they arent.

And they are heroes OF New York
    He is THEhero of MANHATTAN

big ass difference.

Daredevil is the hero of Hells Kitchen
    Spidey is manhattan
    the others may be based in NY, but Spidey is meant to be THE hero for NY
    It's not a huge difference, and what you're saying just sounds stupid. How many heroes are in NY? Dozens. But since you're a kid I wont be too hard on you.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

I don't get it either.

He's teamed up with practically every superhero out there so there aren't a whole lot of superheroes that don't know him or know how to work with him. Plus I think Spider-Man is a little more flexible than just being put in a city setting, I mean yes it does cater to his powers pretty much perfectly but I always find it fascinating when he's out of his own element.

And I think he's proven time and again to Cap and everyone that he has what it takes to be an Avenger.