Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Cup O' Joe - Jul 1, 2011

As "The Avengers" rolls film, Tom Brevoort looks at how movies from "Captain America" to "X-Men: First Class" affect Marvel Comics while his staff digs into their own long boxes and show off tons of [em]exclusive[/em] art.

Full article here.

Okay just how many Buckies are still alive today in the Marvel Universe ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    Okay just how many Buckies are still alive today in the Marvel Universe ?
    A new kid Bucky maybe? I mean i know Marvel would enver do anything so tacky like copy something DC did with Batman but you never know.

Ive lost track of who is copying who with those two characters. But short of Captain America Inc (unless you count Captain America Corps) it seems they are living parallel lives.
    Last edited by Sabrewulf; 07-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

"To a certain degree we are, but the reality is that not all characters are created equal. For all that we try and other people in the past have tried, you can't force the readership to be interested in a character. You see all the time on the boards where one person or another will be complaining about "Why is Marvel forcing this character down our throats?" And that's typically not what's going on. What's usually happening is that someone here – some editor or writer – is excited about a character. They like them and want to use them in their stories, and that more than anything drives what we do. In any given year, we'll go off to a retreat, and the conversation will wheedle around to some character: Daredevil say, for the sake of argument. We'll come up with two or three ideas for Daredevil and everybody will be supercharged on him (...)"

Weird. I remember some FI interviews where Tom and Matt Fraction explained how everything was paced up, considerating which character being available or not and how complicated it was to concile all the agendas.

Tom, if you really want something to not happen, I think they won't.
    If some readers felt some characters were throated to them, like say the Hood or Norman Osborn, maybe you weren't wanted enough this for not to happen. Like just dispatching cameos or focused-stories trough months and issues..isn't it what you're supposed to do ? Jugulating ?

c'mon, an EIC telling that stories and characters are just...you know, erupting ? As a reader, I just feel taken for a tourist..

Everybody being all inspired after a creative meeting isn't an argument, some characters having been recurrent were just easy transitions between an event and another..
    Last edited by ian33407; 07-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar

The first Schism preview page in the article is by Frank Cho, not Terry Dodson.
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

"Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." Ė RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by bebopeva88 View Post
    The first Schism preview page in the article is by Frank Cho, not Terry Dodson.
    One guess (well, really two guesses) as to what gave it away...
    Live Comics. Love Comics.

"Don't ever be afraid to be a fan." - Jason Aaron

BANNED

Dodson and Cho can both be pretty cheesecakey, so I guess they can get confused.

Also,

Rick Remender rocks SO HARD and heís not going anywhere. Rick, Jerome, Esad, Mark, editor Jody Leheup and the great unsung hero of X-Force, coloring legend Dean White, have made it one of the strongest X-Books and Marvel books period. There will be changes to the characters and to who is on the team, but that creative team is amazing and we donít want to shake that up any more than necessary.

Best news.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NickFury90 View Post
    Dodson and Cho can both be pretty cheesecakey, so I guess they can get confused.

Also,

Rick Remender rocks SO HARD and heís not going anywhere. Rick, Jerome, Esad, Mark, editor Jody Leheup and the great unsung hero of X-Force, coloring legend Dean White, have made it one of the strongest X-Books and Marvel books period. There will be changes to the characters and to who is on the team, but that creative team is amazing and we donít want to shake that up any more than necessary.

Best news.
    Hmm I wonder how Schism effects the team. I could definitely see Domino coming back and/or Jubilee Joining up. Still i wish Remender would stop using Fantomex and his cheat button so often.

" But not every character is going to get that. I think it's more important that you do your best to stay true to the character. People have stories to tell about these guys, and once someone comes in with a good take or approach, we'll elevate them. Every character out there has fans, every character is somebody’s favorite. And all those fans wonder, "Why don't you do more with Nova? Why don't you do more with Daredevil? Why don't you do more with Doctor Strange or Iron Fist or the Blue Marvel?" And it's all the same thing. "I really like that character and want to see more." We're all for that as long as there're enough people who feel that way or who accumulate over time as we're telling these stories that will make doing projects centered on these characters fiscally viable."

Arg. And another provocation.

How do you explain then the hit Grant Morrison did with ANIMAL MAN ?
    And again, the works of Moore, Gaiman and Milligan are so emblematic than even any profane can't look at any B-List characters the same.You could make a hit of MACHINE MAN tomorrow just by assigning Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman onto it..You could make the same for SILVER SURFER by making Mark Millar and Steve Mc Niven teaming-up again..Same for movies adaptations, with the Brubaker / Swierczynsky runs you could make of IRON FIST an instant hit, same for DOCTOR STRANGE if Andrew Leman is directing it (the problem isn't Leman being not so famous - because the guy is Charles Laughton re-incarnated, the problem is how you're ready to invest in a DOCTOR STRANGE movie-project in regards of a CAPTAIN AMERICA project)

I understand there's a time for everything and that is actually the point, the fact is that Marvel have to sell books of course (and that is leading us to a late discussion about foreigners characters) the fact is just that Marvel HAVE TO be famous for SpiderMan, X-Men, Thor, Hulk, IronMan and Captain America FIRST. So you're not wanting to fulfill all the audiences, because if you wanted to, you could. And once again, this is supposed to be the reader' fault, by misplaced nostalgia ? No Sir, maybe it's time to re-consider the way you're re-actualizing characters. And DC is just about to show you a little how to.
    Last edited by ian33407; 07-01-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Living is easy with eyes red eyes's Avatar

Hell yeah, i hope Gambit is in the new X-Force team

Quote Originally Posted by ian33407 View Post
    " But not every character is going to get that. I think it's more important that you do your best to stay true to the character. People have stories to tell about these guys, and once someone comes in with a good take or approach, we'll elevate them. Every character out there has fans, every character is somebodyís favorite. And all those fans wonder, "Why don't you do more with Nova? Why don't you do more with Daredevil? Why don't you do more with Doctor Strange or Iron Fist or the Blue Marvel?" And it's all the same thing. "I really like that character and want to see more." We're all for that as long as there're enough people who feel that way or who accumulate over time as we're telling these stories that will make doing projects centered on these characters fiscally viable."

Arg. And another provocation.

How do you explain then the hit Grant Morrison did with ANIMAL MAN ?
    And again, the works of Moore, Gaiman and Milligan are so emblematic than even any profane can't look at any B-List characters the same.You could make a hit of MACHINE MAN tomorrow just by assigning Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman onto it..You could make the same for SILVER SURFER by making Mark Millar and Steve Mc Niven teaming-up again..Same for movies adaptations, with the Brubaker / Swierczynsky runs you could make of IRON FIST an instant hit, same for DOCTOR STRANGE if Andrew Leman is directing it (the problem isn't Leman being not so famous - because the guy is Charles Laughton re-incarnated, the problem is how you're ready to invest in a DOCTOR STRANGE movie-project in regards of a CAPTAIN AMERICA project)

I understand there's a time for everything and that is actually the point, the fact is that Marvel have to sell books of course (and that is leading us to a late discussion about foreigners characters) the fact is just that Marvel HAVE TO be famous for SpiderMan, X-Men, Thor, Hulk, IronMan and Captain America FIRST. So you're not wanting to fulfill all the audiences, because if you wanted to, you could. And once again, this is supposed to be the reader' fault, by misplaced nostalgia ? No Sir, maybe it's time to re-consider the way you're re-actualizing characters. And DC is just about to show you a little how to.
    Yeah but that's the point. Likely Jeff Parker has no particular ideas for Machine Man or Mark Millar none for Silver Surfer, you shouldn't push it. He's saying "wait for the writer who brings a great pitch and can attract readers in a financially successful way". No "SELL 100K OF SILVER SURFER NOW". No-one told Morrison, "WRITE ANIMAL MAN, AND MAKE IT A BREAKOUT HIT." Thet let him build it.

Quote Originally Posted by InterwebHero View Post
    Yeah but that's the point. Likely Jeff Parker has no particular ideas for Machine Man or Mark Millar none for Silver Surfer, you shouldn't push it. He's saying "wait for the writer who brings a great pitch and can attract readers in a financially successful way". No "SELL 100K OF SILVER SURFER NOW". No-one told Morrison, "WRITE ANIMAL MAN, AND MAKE IT A BREAKOUT HIT." Thet let him build it.
    Basically, I don't understand the fact a writer could have "no ideas".
    Henry Miller said in I don't remember which book that a writer has to know to write about everything, and actually I remember a very recent interview of Jeff Parker, saying he always had something in reserve, kinda preventing this way the fashion-of-the-week hype (he was taking Westerns as example) so I guess it depends of a certain type of comics-writers we're talking here, not the ones who doesn't "just have no ideas" but the ones who are "just NOT INTERESTED".

I don't know where the decision come from about Grant Morrison onto ANIMAL MAN, or for Peter Milligan with SHADE, but I guess Alan Moore was kinda assigned to SWAMP THING. Anyway, nobody cared for these characters in terms of audience until they read the stories (and then, if you allow me the expression : "aw boy") ...and for the authors it was a challenge as well : I'm not sure the terms were like you putted them (just take a look to the very last article by Ron Marz here on CBR about how he ended writing SECRET DEFENDERS, so maybe you're not so far from the truth), but certainly it was a way for the authors to make their proofs.

I'm convinced the revivals of SWAMP THING, SHADE and ANIMAL MAN were actually purely editorial decisions, and if there was one thing they knew, it was what they didn't want, as for the rest, they gave it a try. Now they're knowing a little more what they're doing when they're asking Peter Milligan to write JLA DARK, or to Grant Morrison to write SUPERMAN (but even after what the body of work he got, they were like -quoting here: "hey dude, you don't think you'll have the keys of the family car ?") and the September relaunch is here to proove editors this time got the lesson :

- by coming back to characters from the Pre-Vertigo era and obviously pushing the writers in this direction (and a lot didn't need to be pushed too much for what I understood)

- by the diversity of the proposed titles.

But most of all, if a title is a hit, this is all about purpose.
    Marvel has no purpose.
    Marvel hits.
    Marvel smashes.
    Marvel does "cloudy-with-meat-balls" jokes.
    (sorry Mr David, Van Lente, Parker, Gillen and Hickman, I'm not thinking about you)

Because hitting and smashing and bad-assing is selling well.

Hell, Captain America is still fighting Nazis. Why is he not fighting the KKK ?
    Last edited by ian33407; 07-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.

I like Jeff Parker, but you think he can make anything a hit? Where did that Agents of Atlas book go? And that's something he really liked. Now you're going to force him to write something he may not really care about, and expect it to be successful?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

While I understand the need to get as many comics and promotional materials out there for characters that have movies, I still think it's a disservice to keep other characters on the back burners for lack of a better term. And I still don't see how it's impossible to do both. I think a good idea would be doing one-shots or minis with say Captain America or other high profile characters and team them up with other characters who don't get the spotlight alot like Patriot or Justice for example. That way, new readers can get introduced to other characters as well.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    While I understand the need to get as many comics and promotional materials out there for characters that have movies, I still think it's a disservice to keep other characters on the back burners for lack of a better term. And I still don't see how it's impossible to do both.
    It's not impossible. Look at all the seldom-seen characters getting the rub from Fear Itself tie-ins.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!