Page 3 of 184 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Peter Risdale is to become the new owner of Plymouth and guess what? Their assets are already being stripped...

A new name will join those of Sheikh Mansour, Lakshmi Mittal and Roman Abramovich in the ranks of English football club owners this week: that of Peter Ridsdale. For the first time in his chequered football career Ridsdale will be working for himself when he takes control of Plymouth Argyle in a deal that will take only a few more days to complete.

The 59-year-old, who has had controversial tenures as the chief executive of Leeds United, Barnsley and Cardiff City, will pay 1 to take over Argyle, where he has been serving as a consultant since last December. The deal will permit the club to leave administration, which it filed for four months ago. Nevertheless it will come as a major blow to Argyle's future prospects that the entity Ridsdale is taking over will already have been stripped of its property assets as a result of the deal.

Ridsdale will hold his equity through a newly incorporated company called Plymouth Argyle Football Club (125) Limited, of which he is the sole shareholder, whose incorporation documents were published at Companies House on Monday. "I am a reluctant acquirer of these shares," Ridsdale confirmed. He is sure the takeover will work, claiming he has forecast an "eminently sensible", self-sustaining business plan for the club for the next two years that would have League Two rivals "casting envious glances".

The property assets, which include a substantial parcel of potential development land abutting the south stand, will be held by Kevin Heaney, a Cornwall-based property developer. Heaney, whose supposed partners in the Gibraltar-registered Bishop International shell company being used to purchase Home Park have not been revealed, is also the owner of Truro City and is not permitted under Football Association rules to hold a role in the playing side of the club's business. This has led to the separation of the football operation from its property.

It is common practice in football to hold the football and property businesses in separate vehicles, since it permits clubs to exploit their fixed assets as security for borrowing from lenders who are concerned about the risks involved in making loans to clubs. However, there will be an important and difficult difference in Argyle's case: the two entities have separate shareholders. This means the relationship is effectively a tenancy agreement between Ridsdale's Argyle as tenant and Heaney's Bishop International as landlord.

The purchase price for the land and the value of the rent are not yet known, although Ridsdale claims it will be on an "affordable" sliding scale according to what is the club's league position. It is believed that Bishop International will provide working capital for 12 months from the date of the deal, allowing Ridsdale a little breathing space as he attempts to rationalise the club.

However, the League One club are expected to make a loss next season and there could be future financial difficulties under the terms of the purchase agreement. The football creditors, including playing staff, club employees and other Football League clubs, were owed 3.7m of Argyle's 17.5m debts when they filed for administration in March. That number has since risen after wages went unpaid in March and April, and the players received only 50% of their June salaries.

Under Football League rules, all football creditors must be paid in full in order for Ridsdale's new company to receive the competition share that will permit Argyle to begin next season. But the takeover proposal provides insufficient cash for that regulation to be satisfied up front, meaning as soon as the bid is processed Ridsdale must hold an urgent series of discussions with creditors over what are acceptable payment schedules.

Although this will probably satisfy the League to hand over the competition share, it may cause future financial headaches since the deferred debts to football creditors, along with the rental obligations to Bishop International, may in future pile up.

Ridsdale is clearly no Mansour, Mittal or Abramovich when it comes to funding but his current financial circumstances are unknown. It is known that the company that previously received his football club wages collapsed into liquidation in 2009 owing about 350,000 to HM Revenue & Customs. In April the liquidator stated in documents at Companies House that he could not wind up the company due to an investigation being under way; Ridsdale says he believes a settlement has already been struck and will be legally ratified "in days".

He said on Monday that the value of his own future wages at Argyle had not yet been set. "Whatever I am paid in fees won't be arranged by me," Ridsdale said. "At no time at all, irrespective of my shareholding, will I determine what fees can be paid to me; that will be the role of the other directors."

Another potential curveball is the court action brought by Cardiff council's trading-standards department against Ridsdale, which is due to return to Cardiff magistrates court on 22 July after a prior adjournment. Ridsdale, who strenuously denies all charges, has been accused of three counts of unfair trading and fraud relating to a promotional offer the Welsh club ran while he was chief executive. If convicted, Ridsdale would fall foul of the League's owners and directors test and would be forced to relinquish his ownership and directorship of Argyle.

Working alongside Ridsdale in the takeover bid is David Jones, the former chief financial officer of Southampton, who has been working as de facto financial director of Argyle since it filed for administration. Jones is the only other director of Ridsdale's Plymouth Argyle (125) company
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...h-argyle-owner

Everywhere Risdale's went he's wrecked a club and now he's in full charge of a club. How the FA can say he's a fit and proper person is beyond me.

The Guardian has a great piece about the police violence fans have in the UK, especially England and Wales. It's about time this got more coverage as this is a fairly common occurrence but is barely reported for reasons I've mentioned before.

Until 11 September last year, the police were rather admired in the Meyers household. Tony Meyers is a firefighter, a profession in which you work closely with the police and tend to get on with them, and his younger son, then 17, had done work experience with the police and was considering it as a career.

All that changed in a few dreadful seconds on Reading station, when the two of them were forced to watch as officers handcuffed Tony's older son, 20-year-old Leeds University student Tommy, forced him on to the ground, and set a police dog on him. The dog bit fiercely into Tommy's face he couldn't even raise his handcuffed hands to protect himself. The injuries will be with him for the rest of his life, partly because the police refused him access to antibiotics for 14 hours, by which time infection had taken hold.

Tommy, a slightly built, taciturn and rather serious student of medical biochemistry who is thinking about training to be a doctor, was acquitted of assault and resisting arrest last month. I ask him what he thinks of the police now. He pauses for a moment to put his thoughts in order and says quietly: "They're cruel, inhumane, barbaric and brutal. They look on people with disdain. They think they are above everyone else. I have no faith at all in the police." Tony says: "The only trouble I witnessed that day was caused by the bullying police thugs who think they can do what they want and get away with it."

That day last September started no differently from dozens of Saturdays in the Meyers home: Tony and his two sons, all Crystal Palace supporters, set off for an away match at Reading, which Palace lost 3-0. After the match there was some aggravation between police and Palace fans. At the railway station, the fans were herded on to the Paddington-bound platform, even though some, including the Meyers, wanted to go to a different destination. Some protested vociferously, and a group of fans taunted the police, who thought the situation serious enough to draw their tasers and use batons. The Meyers were briefly confronted by a group of officers and hit by a baton as they crossed the bridge to the platform; they insist they did nothing to deserve it.

One of the officers who confronted them, PC Jonathan McHugh not the officer who used the baton says he was assaulted by a Palace fan. He was not seriously hurt, and had no visible injuries, and no one else saw the assault. However, McHugh is adamant, not only that it happened, but that he kept his eye on the man who assaulted him for the next 10 minutes or so, despite the fast-moving and difficult situation on the platform, in order to arrest him when he had time. This man, he says, was Tommy.

A train arrived and removed most of the supporters. Then McHugh went to the other end of the platform, where the Meyers were talking. It's common ground that at this stage Tommy was calm and following his father's advice to co-operate with the officer.

What happened next is bitterly disputed. The Meyers say McHugh gave no explanation for instantly handcuffing Tommy; McHugh says he told Tommy he was arresting him, but did not say what for. Police say Tommy struggled and kicked out; the Meyers faimly dispute this. What is not in doubt is the following: that a very tall officer got Tommy in a headlock while McHugh held on to his arms; that between five and seven officers separated Tommy from his father and brother and pointed tasers at their faces; and that a woman dog handler was on hand but did not release her dog because, she said, she threatened Tommy with a spray gun and that stopped him from struggling, so the dog was not needed.

It's also not in doubt that another dog handler, Jamie Gilson, came from another part of the station, and deliberately deployed his dog while Tommy was on the ground. Gilson later claimed he released the dog at Tommy's legs but that Meyers swivelled 90 degrees; Meyers says he did not swivel, and was not able to do so. The dog bit his face. To show me how the dog used its jaws, Meyers holds his thumb and forefinger expressively against his cheek and neck. The dog embedded its teeth millimetres below his eye, and just behind his ear.

Meyers says: "This dog was jumping all over the place. I went rigid like a dead body. There was a lot of pain and a lot of blood. I knew from my own medical knowledge that I'd been badly hurt."

They took him to the hospital, where he was given 30 stitches and antibiotics were dispensed but not administered. The police took the medicine away and took him to the police station, where he was not allowed the antibiotics or painkillers until about 10.30 the next morning, though he asked for them. Thames Valley police are unable to comment on the reason for this. He was released at 3.30pm that afternoon. He was later charged with the assault on McHugh and with resisting arrest.

By the time he was allowed to take the antibiotics, they were not effective, and Meyers woke on Monday in great pain and with weeping wounds, and went straight to hospital. The consultant said that an immediate operation was vital, otherwise the infection would spread to his lungs and he would die. Infected skin was cut away and plastic tubes inserted to drain the infection. He has permanent nerve damage and, to his parents' distress, his voice is now muffled. He spent a week in hospital. His breathing is still not easy, and doctors have advised a further operation.

He says the incident seriously affected his academic performance. He has also had counselling and anti-depressants.

The dog handlers and Meyers' custody are the responsibility of Thames Valley police, who say: "We have no record of a complaint against the police regarding this incident and therefore it would be inappropriate to comment." Amanda Jacks at the Football Supporters' Federation says: "Standard procedure is to wait until the end of criminal proceedings before making a formal complaint." PC McHugh is a member of the British transport police, which says: "Our officers will always deal with those engaging in intimidating, disorderly and antisocial behaviour to ensure that fans who are out to watch football, along with other members of the public using trains, can do so in safety."

The use of dogs in policing football crowds is increasingly controversial. Meyers's story has uneasy echoes of the events which resulted in Chelsea supporter Cliff Augur and his son James being taken to Charing Cross hospital in 2008. Augur was on the ground, but, unlike Meyers, not handcuffed, so he had some means of protecting himself: "I remember seeing the dog in my face. I held onto the dog by the scruff of the neck. I was horrified and frightened. I thought that if I hung on to the dog I could stop it from doing some serious damage to me." But he had no protection against the policeman who kicked him, breaking four ribs and puncturing his lung. James had bites from the police dog on his leg.

The identity of the officer who kicked Augur has never been discovered, though several of his colleagues must have seen what he did. He is still, presumably, policing the streets of London. I have the name and description of a suspect, and this has been given to the police, but no action appears to have been taken.

As one of his bail conditions, Meyers was banned from going to matches. This is another increasingly controversial aspect of football policing. The FSF believes bans are issued too easily, and points to the widespread use of section 27 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, which allows police to order people out of an area, to prevent innocent fans from attending football matches. In one notorious case, Stoke City fans were herded on to a coach and not allowed to get off until they were home, even after pleading to be allowed to go to the lavatory. By the time the coach got to Stoke, it was flooded with urine. Many supporters feel they are herded around contemptuously when they are doing nothing more sinister than seeking to watch football.

The civil rights organisation Liberty has condemned the continued use of Section 27 against football supporters, calling it "part of a pattern of the law being used against football supporters in a way that can become a denial of their civil liberties".

Policing of football matches has caused the FSF so much concern that they launched a campaign called Watching Football is Not a Crime. They say that Meyers' case is one of many in which supporters are treated as though they are all criminals; and that while there certainly are some violent football supporters, the police approach stigmatises all fans.

For the FSF, the police attitude was summed up at Meyers' trial, when his barrister asked PC McHugh why he arrested Meyers without considering alternatives, as he is obliged to do. "It was football day, it was football-related, there was disorder on the day," he replied. "There are always issues at football, there is always disorder." The officer had put into words what many football supporters believe to be the general police culture. His force, the British transport police, puts it slightly more diplomatically, saying that disorder at matches "remains a challenge".

"Too many officers who physically police fans on a match day seem to believe that football supporters equal trouble," says Jacks, "although there is sympathy for our concerns among some senior-ranking officers."

Now Meyers has been acquitted, the ban on attending matches has been lifted, but he says: "I'll never go to away matches again. You lose all your human rights on an away match."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...l-fan-attacked

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Anyone following the Copa America? Been some surprising results so far.
    Dull games all around. Although, to be fair, the same could be said of the 2010 World Cup in it's first round, with a couple of exceptions.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Jaw Squad Member

Tevez wants to leave Man City. Again.

This rather pleases me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lynch View Post
    I actually rate both Keane and Pavluychenko. If the latter were more consistent he'd be a world beater.
    Same here. Of course, I still think Spurs shouldn't have let go of Darren Bent.

That's what I read too. Benitez wanted Gareth Barry instead IIRC. So naturally he thought he'd shit on Robbie Keane.
    I miss the Benitez / H&G war. Sheer hilarity.

Not to derail things too much, but I'm sure she went through with it anyway. Or so I've been told. Ahem.
    Note to self: Google later.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Dull games all around. Although, to be fair, the same could be said of the 2010 World Cup in it's first round, with a couple of exceptions.
    Haven't had the time to watch, honestly, but the results have been surprising so far.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Veteran Member

Arsenal full-back Gael Clichy has signed a four-year deal with Premier League rivals Manchester City.

The 25-year-old moves to Eastlands for a reported fee of 7m.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Veteran Member

A report by MPs into England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup says the Football Association has failed to learn lessons from previous attempts.

The report, from the culture, media and sport committee, states: "Lessons did not appear to have been learned from previous studies with regard to the composition and unity of the bid team, and the messages it needed to project."

In response to the report, the FA insisted they are already working on the issues raised by the report.

The MPs also backed the BBC's decision to screen a Panorama documentary into allegations of corruption inside Fifa in the same week as the vote was held.

The programme's allegations of corruption "appalled" the committee, and it believes there should have been a full, independent investigation into them by world football's governing body.

"Instead, Fifa has given every impression of wishing to sweep all allegations of misconduct under the carpet and of dismissing anyone bringing allegations to them with an approach bordering on contempt," says the report.

Fifa also comes under fire for its "extraordinary" recent decision to drop a bribery investigation into former vice-president Jack Warner after he resigned from his role.

"It suggests that nothing has changed," says the report. "As a first step towards restoring confidence we call upon Fifa to publish the ethics committee report."

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lynch View Post
    I actually rate both Keane and Pavluychenko. If the latter were more consistent he'd be a world beater.
    I love Pav, but he's got less consistency than air-soup.

They need someone who's fairly big, strong, has a bit of pace, and decent feet (so not much then). Pav could be that guy if he could remember to play for 3 games running.

Senior Member PiratesPensSteelers's Avatar

Anyone have any website recommendations to follow official signings? Not the rumors so much, but actual transfers. All the rumors just make my head spin :)

Veteran Member

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is to make Lyon's Aly Cissokho his prime target to fill the vacant left-back position after the departure of Gael Clichy to Manchester City.

Wenger also wants to sell Samir Nasri to an overseas club, rather than to Manchester United or Manchester City, if the midfielder cannot be persuaded to sign a new contract with the Gunners. Italian giants Inter Milan are one of the clubs said to be interested.

Manchester City are after highly regarded Atletico Madrid and Argentina striker Sergio Aguero - but they face strong competition from Juventus.

Premier League newcomers QPR are reported to be interested in both Newcastle United winger Wayne Routledge and Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole as they look to secure their future after returning to the top flight.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas is weighing up Real Madrid defensive midfielder Pepe. The interest in the Portugal international may signal the end of John Mikel Obi's time at Stamford Bridge and he has been linked with a move to Italy.

Stoke City have joined Celtic, Sunderland and Blackburn in the race to sign Craig Bellamy on loan from Manchester City.

Frustrated Bolton manager Owen Coyle has urged clubs tracking 17m-rated defender Gary Cahill to pay up or shut up.

Newcastle have offered about 7m for Paris St Germain striker Mevlut Erdinc.

Manchester United's Paul Scholes has dismissed Arsenal's chances of winning the Premier League title and their attractive style of play. "They do play the best football to watch at times but what is the point if you are not winning anything?" said the former England midfielder.

Little-known Argentine Dario Conca has joined the world's highest-paid players list. The 5ft 5in midfielder has signed a three-and-a-half-year contract, said to be worth 6.4m, with Chinese Super League side Guangzhou after leaving Brazilian giants Fluminense.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Manchester City are after highly regarded Atletico Madrid and Argentina striker Sergio Aguero - but they face strong competition from Juventus.
    Not a fan of Man City, but I would rather see him end up there than Italy as I watch it way more often and he is a fun player to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    A report by MPs into England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup says the Football Association has failed to learn lessons from previous attempts.

The report, from the culture, media and sport committee, states: "Lessons did not appear to have been learned from previous studies with regard to the composition and unity of the bid team, and the messages it needed to project."

In response to the report, the FA insisted they are already working on the issues raised by the report.

The MPs also backed the BBC's decision to screen a Panorama documentary into allegations of corruption inside Fifa in the same week as the vote was held.

The programme's allegations of corruption "appalled" the committee, and it believes there should have been a full, independent investigation into them by world football's governing body.

"Instead, Fifa has given every impression of wishing to sweep all allegations of misconduct under the carpet and of dismissing anyone bringing allegations to them with an approach bordering on contempt," says the report.

Fifa also comes under fire for its "extraordinary" recent decision to drop a bribery investigation into former vice-president Jack Warner after he resigned from his role.

"It suggests that nothing has changed," says the report. "As a first step towards restoring confidence we call upon Fifa to publish the ethics committee report."

The FA are going to do fuck all as they'll wait a decade or so then try another bid which will cost them money that could be put back into the English game.

Quote Originally Posted by PiratesPensSteelers View Post
    Anyone have any website recommendations to follow official signings? Not the rumors so much, but actual transfers. All the rumors just make my head spin :)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13971133.stm

Looking at that will tell you that Falkirk seem to have cleared out half their first team to English clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13971133.stm

Looking at that will tell you that Falkirk seem to have cleared out half their first team to English clubs.
    Thank you much

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    This annoys me as there's few positions in the top flight for young British managers and this is blatently just gimmick appointment like that of Di Canio at Swindon.
    Though Haman now has one of the weirdest accents ever a mix of German and Scouse.

Anyhow this is certainly is a step up in quality over Steve (The Gaffer)Staunton.

Veteran Member

Montenegro defender Stefan Savic has completed his transfer from Partizan Belgrade to Manchester City.

The 20-year-old becomes City's second defensive signing of the summer after they bought Gael Clichy from Arsenal.