Animation & Illustration

Default "A Dance With Dragons" breaks street date!

I figured to make a separate post from the ongoing "winter is Coming" thread to post this warning from io9 and Voyager:

http://io9.com/5816557/george-rr-mar...ew-of-spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by io9.com
    According to Voyager Books, Martin's publisher, the embargo on the book got dropped early in Europe, and a few customers in America already received their copies early as well. Only about 180 copies of the book went out early by mistake, but that's still a lot. And the publisher fears that message boards and other online forums will be full of spoilers.
    So that's going to be fun... two weeks to go, and now the internets may be sown with spoilers. Beware!

I'll keep carefully participating in the ongoing thread, but man... it's going to be tricky to avoid 'em if people are determined to be dicks about it. And if there's one thing the internet is full of...
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

I don't see the big deal. A few fans got their hands on the books three weeks prior to the release date. The spoilers are bound to come out in a matter of days of the eventual release date anyway.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Clearly, the only solution is to break street date everywhere so I...er...everyone can get ahold of the book early...er...without getting spoilered.
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.

BANNED

I see no problem wither. People who want spoilers will look for them anyway. People who don't will avoid most discussions until they have finished the book.

Animation & Illustration

I wasn't particularly concerned with being wary of spoilers up to two-frickin-WEEKS before book release. I figured I wouldn't have to step lightly until near to the time of the actual street date. And since I'm a day-one reader, after that I wasn't too worried.

Now it seems more likely that spoilers will find their way along before any of us reasonably has a chance of reading the book. Instead of being wary of spoilers in the days leading up, now I know I have to watch out from this point forward. But hey, shoot the messenger. You guys are all spoiler-avoidin' ninja bad-asses, you'll be fine.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Inkthinker View Post
    I wasn't particularly concerned with being wary of spoilers up to two-frickin-WEEKS before book release. I figured I wouldn't have to step lightly until near to the time of the actual street date. And since I'm a day-one reader, after that I wasn't too worried.

Now it seems more likely that spoilers will find their way along before any of us reasonably has a chance of reading the book. Instead of being wary of spoilers in the days leading up, now I know I have to watch out from this point forward. But hey, shoot the messenger. You guys are all spoiler-avoidin' ninja bad-asses, you'll be fine.
    If George was some talenteless hack, where the 'payoff' was the highlight of the books. Then maybe the spoiler would annoy me.

But the fun thing is the journey of getting from A to Z is often the best part. So no the spoilers getting out don't annoy.

Let me put it this way years ago when I found out that Wallace dies at the end of Braveheart in advance of seeing the film. Didn't diminish my enjoyment.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

I figured to make a separate post from the ongoing "winter is Coming" thread to post this warning from io9 and Voyager:

http://io9.com/5816557/george-rr-mar...ew-of-spoilers

So that's going to be fun... two weeks to go, and now the internets may be sown with spoilers. Beware!

I'll keep carefully participating in the ongoing thread, but man... it's going to be tricky to avoid 'em if people are determined to be dicks about it. And if there's one thing the internet is full of...
    I think the group we have going in that thread will be pretty good about stuff like that.

No, seriously, I'd like them to release the book early everywhere now. Such a thing has been done before after a broken street date, however rarely.
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Let me put it this way years ago when I found out that Wallace dies at the end of Braveheart in advance of seeing the film. Didn't diminish my enjoyment.
    lol

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jared H. View Post
    No, seriously, I'd like them to release the book early everywhere now. Such a thing has been done before after a broken street date, however rarely.
    It's been done, but I can't remember the last time a book publisher did it.

I think the infrastructure involved, especially since it's a big launch, might make that kind of thing difficult.
    Expletive Deleted