Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: IDW's Chris Ryall Explains It All

IDW Publishing CCO Chris Ryall spoke with CBR News about changes in the industry, details on upcoming projects including new "30 Days of Night" and "Transformers," in-house talent and the future of Joe Hill's "Locke & Key."

Full article here.

My favorite comic company, hands down. I'm so excited to see some artwork from the new Star Trek monthly.

I like the idea of a 30 Days of Night ongoing, but who's doing the art? I loved Templesmith's work and thought it really made the title. It's a great artstyle for a horror comic.

As a fan of TMNT and Ghostbusters, I may be into IDW for a while.

Thanos Copter Marak the Merciless's Avatar

Default Idw!

This time last year, I had never tapped into any of IDW's offerings because they were shooting way off the mark from what usually inspires me to buy a comic book. Wasn't interested in paying $4 a book for what to me looked like nicely-printed-and-bound toy adverts.

But in the last 12 months, I've changed my tune. I've gotten hooked on Hellraiser, G.I. Joe - ARAH, John Byrne's Next Men, Joe Hill's The Cape -- IDW has fast become my comic book company of choice. Great content that has been earning it's cover price as far as I'm concerned.

IDW, keep it coming!

IIIIIIII'm BLACK Y'ALL

Teenage mutant ninja turtles!! looks!! EPIC and after those zombie issue bustin' made me feel too good now i want more. Hats off to IDW and lets hope the new TMNT "live action" is as dark and violent as the origianl series a 15 rated TMNT. Nice

Chris Ryall wrote:
    "I always default back to the “Star Wars” comics from Marvel, where Han Solo was running around with Jaxxon, the Giant Green Rabbit. That had nothing to do with any of the other movies, and the second movie came along and kind of invalidated all that."

This makes me believe that Mr. Ryall has never even read Marvel's Star Wars series that he's discussing in that quote. Marvel's pre-Empire Strikes Back issues ran until issue 38. Jaxxon was in a four-issue arc at the very beginning of that run, and then a single issue later on--and that was it. Five issues out of 38. Jaxxon was a minor footnote in Marvel's run, and nothing more. Furthermore, the Marvel run was NOT invalidated by TESB. Marvel incorporated both TESB and ROTJ into the continuity of its series, and pretty seamlessly. To be honest, I think Marvel did a much better job of finding Star Wars' feel than IDW has done with Star Trek.

Getting some more IDW books

IDW deserve kudos purely for putting Locke and Key out there. Easily the best horror/drama series I've read in a long while, and Hill has clearly put a load of thought into the concept, characters and history. Can't wait to see how it all ends, and can't wait to get ahold of that sourcebook.

Ive bought more from IDW the first 6 months of this year then i did in the last 3 years combined. Likely because I've really grown to be a fan of Ashley Woods work but I've also enjoyed Godzilla and am looking forward to TMNT.

On a semi off topic note I just read

"Zombies vs Robots fans are also in for a treat, with the exclusive new hardcover edition of the COMPLETE ZOMBIES VS ROBOTS. The acclaimed, 160-page volume, written by co-creator Chris Ryall and fully illustrated by Ash, is now available in an exclusive hardcover for only $29.99, and is SDCC exclusive and limited to approximately 400 copies."

Since I'm not going to SDCC but am having a friend pick up a few things for me I'm wondering how the above differs from the Zomnibus IDW already put out outside of the obvious that ones a TPB and ones a hardback and the minor price difference.

Anyone know if the limited SDCC exclusive has anything new art or story wise?

Zomnibus, Vol. 1 24.99
    Ranging from the seriously scary Feast!, to the urban sprawl of Eclipse of the Undead, and finally ending with the surreal stylings of the one-and-only Ashley Wood in The Complete Zombies vs. Robots. Any way you slice it, you'll be hard-pressed to find this much zombie fodder anywhere, at any price

Is infestation collected on a trade or hard cover ? I΄m looking forward to the TMNT !!!

I'm really looking forward to Star Trek. The only Star Trek stuff I've watched has been the 2009 film so I'm glad they're catering to new viewers/readers like myself.
    Aquaman • Aquaman and the Others • Batman • Batman and Robin • Justice League • Wonder Woman • Star Trek • Brilliant • Black Science • Manifest Destiny • Morning Glories • Saga • Shutter • The Wake

BANNED

Ashley doesn't even know. So there's the answer on new work. Likely just the complete ZvR and ZvRvA in a hardcover. Just like the softcover they put out at SDCC last year.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    Ashley doesn't even know. So there's the answer on new work. Likely just the complete ZvR and ZvRvA in a hardcover. Just like the softcover they put out at SDCC last year.
    Yeah I saw that. The complete ZvR is the most readily available and reprinted of Ashes work. Would have rather seen Infestation TBP/hardcover like G.I.JOSE suggested or if IDW wanted to make folks really freak out they could get the rights to to an English language Automatic Kafka tpb/HB from Wildcat/DC.

Now if the above mentioned SDCC 11 ZVR even just had a new art for the cover by Ash that would make it worth it for me.

Still wont ride IDW to hard as I was pretty pumped to be able to order the Popbot hardback.

Fingers are crossed that Furman is writing one of the 2 new monthly titles.