Page 6 of 335 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Double post. Google Chrome & CBR seem to be having issues at the moment.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-27-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

C'mon, now -- it's not like I said I like Frank Robbins or the Punisher.

Otherwise, to cop from Mr. Whitman:

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

(In more ways than one, it would appear, judging from how much weight I've put on in the last 25 years or so ...)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I also own, as I was reminded while reshelving CDs the other day, a disc by the Backstreet Boys ("Larger Than Life" was a really neat radio hit) & by LFO (for that "Abercrombie & Fitch" song, "Summer Girls") & probably quite a few other equally unlikely acts.

Right up there with my propensity for punk aggression & postpunk angularity is an incredible sweet tooth for pure pop that strikes me in just the right (or maybe, for purposes of "street cred," I should say wrong) way, all other considerations be damned. Rest assured that if the Eagles had somehow recorded "Wannabe" a few years ago instead of the Spice Girls, I'd damn well own that, too (as I do the CD single of that song).

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    C'mon, now -- it's not like I said I like Frank Robbins or the Punisher.

Otherwise, to cop from Mr. Whitman:

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

(In more ways than one, it would appear, judging from how much weight I've put on in the last 25 years or so ...)
    True enough. I suppose "My Heart Will Go One" is not exactly "Outdoor Miner" (turgid and excessive vs. glorious exactitude... sorry I couldn't help it. You like The Fall so all is good), but hell, music is music is music. On second thought... I doubt my sincerity on that last sentence. There has gotta be a connection between Ian Curtis and Justin Bieber, but I'll be damned if I'm the one who goes looking for it.

Maybe that's why I stopped listening to any & all music radio during the '90s (till I came across a decent commercial alternative station out of Auburn about 5 years ago, which went away after a few months, though a somewhat similar local equivalent popped up earlier this year & I listen to it occasionally, when NPR is insisting on its occasional propensity for "boring things about boring people in boring places" & the local sports stations are focusing on something insufferably ghastly, like the NFL or golf or NASCAR or the NBA or ...) -- if I don't hear it, it can't worm its way into my heart or brain or collection.

As a result, I don't have a clue what Justin Bieber sounds like (though I can damn well imagine), or Lady GaGa, or any other such obvious garbage &/or anyone who ever had anything to do with American Idol (except for Kelly Clarkson ... I don't own it, but if "Since U Been Gone" showed up on my ghetto blaster, I wouldn't hit "eject.")

-- Reptisaurus!

I'm not a fan of tattoos for my own selfish aesthetic satisfaction, because they usually detract from physical beauty. When someone's beautiful, their skill is part of it. A really midriff or back or shoulder or arm can be so damn hot. Having a doodle on it attract from the beauty. As far as tattooing myself, I don't believe in trying to permanently label who I am on my skin. Ideas change. I think there's a good chance that I'd later dislike or disavow an idea of design I got tattooed on me. I think it's better to let my mind and my actions be the expression of who I am.

My least favorite song in the world is an Eagles song. It's in nails-on-a-chalkboard territory. I have change the radio station right away when I hear it.
    Last edited by spoon_jenkins; 06-27-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Apparently, I can't write.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."
    - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, April 1979

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon_jenkins View Post
    My least favorite song in the world is an Eagles song. It's in nails-on-a-chalkboard territory. I have change the radio station right away when I hear it.
    Okay, I'll bite. Which song is it?

My least-favorite song ever? It's a tie between (shudder) Sonny & Cher's "The Beat Goes On" and (barf!) Olivia Newton-John's "Have You Never Been Mellow."

Cei-U!
    I summon Satan's jukebox!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    (shudder) Sonny & Cher's "The Beat Goes On"
    Aaaaah, that one's OK. Though the Screamers' version -- only cover they ever did, IIRC, except for the Germs' slightly less-known "Sex Boy" -- is certainly better. (In a no doubt futile attempt to regain my street cred after the above revelations, I shall mention once again that late lead singer Tomata du Plenty's original portrait of Philip K. Dick is hanging on the bedroom opposite from where I'm typing this. Yeah, I didn't think that'd work ...)

-- Reptisaurus!

I'mI don't believe is trying to permanently label who I am on my skin. Ideas change. I think there's a good chance that I'd later dislike or disavow an idea of design I got tattooed on me.
    Certainly well-put. If I'd had the "No Gods No Masters" tattoo with black flag inked on my shoulder in the throes of my anarchopunk fervor back in my early 20s, rather than when I did at (IIRC) age 39, I hope someone would've offered to horsewhip me.

At the same time, even back then I'd held those beliefs for several years (though I have to admit that I was introduced to the slogan -- an age-old one, it turns out, perhaps most prominently associated with the IWW, at least in this country -- through Amebix' first 7" on Spiderleg) ... which means that either I attained my version of enlightenment unusally early, or I simply stopped developing philosophically & to a lesser extent intellectually at around age 15. Hmmmm.

One way or the other, a dozen years later, I'm pretty sure that I'm not in any great danger of veering over to the other side. (And lest anyone get cute with Google, let me uncategorically aver that I am not the Dan Bailey who was executive director of the Arkansas Bankers Association & then the Alabama Bankers Association. Not me! Honest! The Arkansas-to-Alabama career path is pure coincidence! Really!)

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Which song is it?
    Hotel California. I can't stand the faux Mexican accent (or whatever it's supposed to be). I usually don't tell people it's my least favorite song, lest than unleash it on me as a prank.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."
    - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, April 1979

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Belated congratulations, shaxper.

On the subject of alcohol, I've been walking past this liquor store on a daily basis for the past five years, but I never thought to go in, because it looks so ugly and seedy. But then I accidentally discovered that it actually has one of the best beer selections in town. I've been there three times now and of the beers I bought, my favorite was Blithering Idiot.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    Just to chime in on the turntable topic, I have a Rega Planar 3 with the RB300 tonearm and a Rega Exact cartridge. I bought it about 5 years ago to replace an old Sony turntable I had that dated from 1970.

It sounds absolutely lovely!
    I loved my Rega turntable (the old 3 with the RB200 arm and an R100 cartridge*), but was moving between buildings one day, for reasons which I forget now, with the platter removed - because as any fule kno, you are supposed to to avoid damaging the thing - and dropped the platter. Which would be bad enough on a standard turntable with a metal platter, but with a glass platter... Took a big chunk out of one side. By this time, vinyl was well on its way out anyway so I bought a moderately good Pro-ject turntable, but haven't used it in probably 8 or 10 years, ever since my abortive attempts to transfer all my LPs onto Minidisc (having figured out at the time that this new-fangled MP3 stuff would never catch on).

(* in other areas, remembering the model numbers of old bits of HiFi would be considered OCD - in this forum, that kind of memory is pretty much a pre-requisite )

On another tack, I offer an olive branch between the followers of West Coast AOR and the more raucous elements - here's something that both camps might enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj3kTdx1QBw

(I mean, they're sort of called the Eagles, and mention LA, and everything)

Worst song ever?

"Torn Between Two Lovers"

A classically bad 1970's song designed to make you feel aweful for being angry your wife is cheating on you.

Just terrible.

Hotel California. I can't stand the faux Mexican accent (or whatever it's supposed to be). I usually don't tell people it's my least favorite song, lest than unleash it on me as a prank.
    I can think of several good reasons not to like the song Hotel California, but I have to ask, what faux Mexican accent?

Quote Originally Posted by Kan-Man View Post
    Now that I'm back to commuting, my wife bought me one of those new fangled smartphones so I could check e-mail and such when I'm not at my computer. The reason I bring this up is I spent a recent commute reading through the past couple of month's worth of posts on LR's blog and enjoyed them very much. Nice going, Scott!
    Hey, thanks very much Andy. I appreciate the kind words.

I hope that new job is working out for you and happy to hear that the boys are doing well.

As for music...

I actually love opera. Kat and I were Canadian Opera Company subscribers pre-children. My favourite is Smetana's Bartered Bride. The music is just so beautiful and the incorporate of Czech folk songs is simply brilliant.

I love Wagner as well - his stuff is so powerful. I love the use of Das Rheingold in Werner Herzog's Nosferatu.

Oh yeah, and I love Radiohead, Otis Redding, Lucinda Williams, and Toots and the Maytals.

I attened 8 Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia Band concerts back in the day, and I'm about as big a Neil Young fan as you'll find.

I also seem to watch American Idol.

No, I can't make sense of the above, either.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"