Page 275 of 335 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,125 of 5013

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Did the dog talk?

How did he or she feel about pies, cakes & bananas?
    She did in fact speak, though it consisted of barking, so we were never quite sure what she was saying. As such, her opinions were never clear regarding cake, pie, or bananas, though I'm sure she ate cake or pie on the few occasions it was offered. To the best of my recollections no one ever offered bananas, because that would be weird.

Her favorite seemed to be locusts (in non-Biblical numbers) that she would leap and snatch out of mid air. Again, due to the language barrier we never knew if she liked them for the taste or mainly for sport.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    no one ever offered bananas, because that would be weird.
    Who knows? My eldest cat really likes bits of golden delicious apple (which unfortunately I've had to discontinue eating, though from what I've read maybe if I peeled them ...), & at least one of the dogs I used to have enjoyed potato peel.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 07-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Forgot to mention this historical tidbit yesterday. Its relevance will become clear.

A few centuries ago, the British Navy started feeding their sailors foods rich in vitamin C to prevent scurvy. The primary food they used was limes, which is why the British are called "limeys". But before they settled on limes, they tried another vitamin C-rich food: sauerkraut. If they'd stuck with that, the British would be called "krauts" and we'd have to find another nickname for the Germans.
    --
    Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Forgot to mention this historical tidbit yesterday. Its relevance will become clear.

A few centuries ago, the British Navy started feeding their sailors foods rich in vitamin C to prevent scurvy. The primary food they used was limes, which is why the British are called "limeys". But before they settled on limes, they tried another vitamin C-rich food: sauerkraut. If they'd stuck with that, the British would be called "krauts" and we'd have to find another nickname for the Germans.
    I loved it when Sgt. Fury would call them "lager-slurpers."

Cei-U!
    I summon the suds!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Just got back from a family vacation on Cape Cod and wanted to send kudos to our own Prince Hal for his invaluable recommendations including the Cape Cod Baseball League - definitely one of the high points of the trip.

I wanted to share a bizarre comic book story... There's a store in Wellfleet called The Bookstore. It's a restaurant in the front and, unsurprisingly, a bookstore in the back. I had heard they sold comics and told my son Jackson that we could go take a look. He turned 9 during our trip and had some birthday money to spend. My nephew Benjamin decided to tag along too.

The Bookstore, it turns out, is a used bookstore. Cramped and hot with books everywhere. A pack rat's dream, requiring lots of patience. But right there in the front? Comics. We were greeted by a little old lady (I'm guessing somewhere between 120-130) who gave us the rundown. There were several wooden shelves filled with DC, Marvel and some other publishers. These, she told us, were more affordable. The rest she pointed out were more collectible. She wanted to make sure we knew that even though the cover price said 10 cents or 12 cents that the price was actually much higher. I told her we understood and we were off.

Here's the good news - they had a lot of great stuff. Some pre-code war and crime books from the 50s that I had never seen before. Lots of other good stuff too - Tarzan, westerns, Dells, etc. Here's the not so good news - they're all in very old bags and are jammed together in wooden racks, many flopped over. (Ironically, the less collectible ones were stacked - probably should have been the other way around). And here's the bad news - everything is wildly overpriced. Imagine if you took a comic, grabbed the price guide, yet ignored condition. Now you've got their pricing policy. All the "non-collectible" books were $2. I'm guessing these are the types of books you'd see in four for a dollar boxes elsewhere - Justice League Detroit, Blue Devil, many short lived titles I can't recall at the moment.

If it was up to me, we would have browsed and left without buying anything. But the kids had their hearts set so Jackson left with the last issue of All Star Squadron, a late issue of Batman and the Outsiders (with no Batman and no costumed characters to be found), and a late issue of the Justice League of America. I thought he got ripped off but he was very excited and it was his first official back issue purchase, so we'll see if he's been bitten by the bug.

Long story short - it's a very interesting place to browse but somewhat heartbreaking because there are a lot of pretty rare comics in there being mistreated and there they will stay because I can't imagine anyone paying the prices they're asking for them.
    My Blog: Being A Dad

I've had plenty of good purchases at the Half-Price Books chain stores, but I've never had good luck at antique stores or small used book shops. The condition is either too far below what I would accept, or the prices are just too high. I know some people here can really score at those places but I never have.

I bet that lady never really notices the comics don't move and never even considers lowering her prices.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    I've had plenty of good purchases at the Half-Price Books chain stores, but I've never had good luck at antique stores or small used book shops. The condition is either too far below what I would accept, or the prices are just too high. I know some people here can really score at those places but I never have.

I bet that lady never really notices the comics don't move and never even considers lowering her prices.
    god knows how those kinds of places stay open. they must own their shops and not pay any rent, thats the only way i can figure it.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post

I've found the exact same situation but in the opposite of price. The books that have been there so long that they've never been marked up and I can score them for cover price when they are worth far more.

There's a chain around here too, Vintage Stock. Now while there regular bagged and boarded back issues are over priced in my opinion, their TPB, HC, and other collections are cheap. I scored Starman Omnibus 1-3 for 13 something each. They were used but still in excellent condition. Plus they always have longboxes on top of longboxes full of dollar and 50 cent comics. A few years back I got about 90% of the first Omega Men for 75 cent average an issue.

I comic shop I frequented when I lived in St Louis, never actually priced any of his back issues. He would price them at the counter. Which makes it hard if you are spending a specific amount of money, but is nice because it mostly ended up in my favor. Especially when I was single and had money I would spend a lot and get a better deal than most people.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

To Whom It May Concern:

My little friends & I would like a Bat-Winged Monkey-Bird comic book.

Thank you.

Me
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

For those as aren't on Facebook.

Finally got the car home and given to the child.

I believe you said that's a '64. I trust you've provided for a full supply of DCs & Marvels from that year as an accessory.

-- Reptisaurus!

I believe you said that's a '64. I trust you've provided for a full supply of DCs & Marvels from that year as an accessory.
    I did not. I have, however, been looking for 1964 Idaho license plates to put on it.

I haven't heard yet how he is dealing with the joys of AM radio.

The car we had while I was growing up -- a '63 or '64 (can't remember) AMC Rambler -- had no radio (or air-conditioning, for that matter). The '73 Toyota Corolla I drove from late summer of 1980 to spring of 1985 had only AM (& also no a/c, which was really interesting during the nearly 3 years I was going to grad school in the Phoenix area).

Obviously, I turned out just fine.

... right?

-- Reptisaurus!

The car we had while I was growing up -- a '63 or '64 (can't remember) AMC Rambler -- had no radio (or air-conditioning, for that matter). The '73 Toyota Corolla I drove from late summer of 1980 to spring of 1985 had only AM (& also no a/c, which was really interesting during the nearly 3 years I was going to grad school in the Phoenix area).

Obviously, I turned out just fine.

... right?

Yeah, no air conditioning in this one either. So he's going to have to get used to 2/60 air. Ultimately we'll put a stereo in the trunk. He's already planning a 1964 playlist.

I never run the air, anyway, even when temps are 100 or above. Having a moonroof (this car is the first one I've ever had with that feature) helps, admittedly. When I got this one after my Accent was totaled in 2/11, I was warned that the a/c had problems, but in my case that's utterly irrelevant.

-- Reptisaurus!