Page 333 of 335 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335 LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,995 of 5013

Hi AZBarbarian - thanks for that. I don't know if I will actually end up buying a computer. I tend to stick with things until they are literally falling apart and I think for an aging computer my computer is doing pretty good. Sure its not lightning fast anymore (but then neither am I, truth be told). I'm sort of weighing up the pros and cons and if I do buy one I might buy a secondhand/used computer. A lot of people tend to be frightened or put off buying things that are used (sometimes because they feel they deserve the best, and who wants something someone else has used?) but for me that doesn't bother me. I've been using secondhand things since I was a child. Clothes, toys, books, comics, etc. Plus often I think it makes sense to purchase something that is used but unwanted by somebody else. Saves on waste, and also saves a lot of money. I think often that's why the world is in such a mess. Too many people thinking with their wallets.

I just thought I would indulge in some self-back-patting, months after everyone in the world ceased to care about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Even so, with a $250 million, "John Carter" would look to be a major bust if taken on domestic box office alone. With a $30 million opening weekend, even with good word of mouth the film will struggle to get to $100 million before all is said and done. However, these days the foreign box office is a much bigger piece of the pie than it used to be, with many blockbusters making a lot more overseas than they do in America.

And for whatever reason, that seems to be the case here. "John Carter" may be a dud in America, but it inexplicably set the all-time opening day box office record in Russia, for example. Even though it hasn't yet opened in every country -- international releases often have a staggered schedule, even for big blockbusters -- "John Carter" still managed to pull in $70 million internationally in its first weekend.

That means that after its opening weekend, the $250 million movie isn't at $30 million like some of these pundits are saying, but rather at $101 million. If you figure $80-100 million for a domestic total, with another $150-180 million likely from international audiences, you're looking at a likely total for "John Carter" of around $230-280 million. or, in other words, Disney will probably just about break even on this one.

That's just my guess of course, but with $101 million already in the bank after one weekend -- and with Disney holding all the international distribution rights since they do things in house -- "John Carter" is already out of the running for the biggest flop of all time.
    I happened to be on Box Office Mojo today checking some numbers for some other films, and I found these final numbers for John Carter:

domestic total: $73 million
    foreign total: $209 million
    international gross: $282 million

I think Disney still took a loss on it due to marketing costs and stuff, but it was nowhere near as big a disaster as early reports indicated.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I just thought I would indulge in some self-back-patting, months after everyone in the world ceased to care about this:

I happened to be on Box Office Mojo today checking some numbers for some other films, and I found these final numbers for John Carter:

I think Disney still took a loss on it due to marketing costs and stuff, but it was nowhere near as big a disaster as early reports indicated.
    I still think the perceived failure of John Carter, the lackluster performance of Tron Legacy and Disney's general failure to hit big in the young boy's toys/adventure movie market (outside of Marvel Studios) was a motivating factor behind the acquisition of Lucasfilms, and behind a lot of the Hasbro as the next target rumors. It's an area where they can grow and not compete against themselves and properties they already own.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Have one of my migraines. I really do not like those. Particularly behind the eyes it hurts like crazy plus it feels like your head is being squeezed. I rang a friend hoping for some good conversation but then he's never been much of a talker and when I have my migraines I do not exactly feel like chatting away happily either. Was watching ABC News and Cyber Monday looks like it could be a record. Apparently people are buying tablets (computers, not the pill kind), plus sweaters and jeans.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

I got me some deer meat from my father in law this weekend! I may not be able to kill an animal but I damned sure will eat it. Got some ground, steaks, backstraps and tenderloins. Gonna make me some deer meat chili this weekend. Yummy!
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

OMG-He's gonna eat BAMBI!!!!!

Xmas isn't far off and charities are extremely busy (with the peak period yet to come). Many people feel a tremendous amount of pride or shame when it comes to charities so even though they are struggling or doing it tough they will avoid them because they feel to rely on a charity means they have failed somehow. I think sometimes human pride gets in the way. There's nothing to be ashamed of by admitting you need help. I've always felt that way since I was a child. Some of my earliest memories are of going shopping at charity stores for clothing and shoes. Charity stores can be an eye opener too. They attract many walks of life. From hookers (sometimes with their pimps in tow). You can tell who the nasty pimps are. Sometimes the hookers have bruised eyes or limbs. Single parents are common as well as couples, usually couples are either younger, or much older. Rich people also visit charity stores. As well as ebay sellers. People looking for rare items or items they can list on ebay often to much profit because the items are out of print or vintage (from some deceased estate). People are generally nice too. Though there are rude people who come to the stores and people who dump trash out of laziness simply because they cannot be bothered taking it to a trash site. For myself I'm hoping to visit some of the stores before Xmas because I'm wanting to get some replacement furniture since some of mine is falling apart (drawers missing handles). Also I would like to buy some toys and books. Maybe some frames too? To put some pictures into?
    Last edited by zryson; 11-27-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Woke up after nightmares so had something to eat and drink to calm my nerves. Cant believe Xmas is almost here again. Sometimes time seems to pass by quickly and other times goes so slowly. 2012 has been a very mixed year. Not sure if 2013 will be any better due to the health of some of those around me. I guess it makes me appreciate the little things but then I have always done so because you never know how much time remains? Have noticed people are spending a lot of money in the lead up to Xmas. I tend to do the opposite because I do not really succumb to 'retail therapy'. If anything I think people shop too much but there is a lot of temptation. Certainly much more temptation than there was in previous decades due to the retail experience being brought into your home, even on your phone. Back when I was growing up if you wanted to go shopping you had to visit the actual store. But with the availability of portable devices you can shop on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I still think the perceived failure of John Carter, the lackluster performance of Tron Legacy and Disney's general failure to hit big in the young boy's toys/adventure movie market (outside of Marvel Studios) was a motivating factor behind the acquisition of Lucasfilms, and behind a lot of the Hasbro as the next target rumors. It's an area where they can grow and not compete against themselves and properties they already own.

-M
    My thought is, since they're gunning for tween & teen boys, they're probably going to be in the market to try to buy Nintendo (whose stock price is very close to its five-year low), where they can get their hands on Mario, Luigi, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, and a host of other properties loved by those with Y chromosomes. They'll probably give up the hardware and go for lots of TV shows & a movie schedule. Disney knows how to monetize...
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

A friend is coming over in the next 30 minutes. I feel sick (not because they are coming over, just feeling off in general). It will be good to see them. I hope they do not comment about me looking poorly though. Have been feeling off the past 24 hours. Just overall queasy and sickly.

Veteran Member

Whatever degree of commercial success it may have attained, my feelings haven't changed: it was both a bad movie in itself and a bad version of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Whatever degree of commercial success it may have attained, my feelings haven't changed: it was both a bad movie in itself and a bad version of the book.
    Oh yeah, it was bad. No question.

Oh yeah, it was bad. No question.

There's definitely a question about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    There's definitely a question about that.
    Is the question "how much did you need to drink in order to enjoy John Carter?"

The visit went well but was bittersweet in some ways as he brought his dog who is both blind and deaf. I love her enormously and just held her. Felt a contentment doing so. She knows its me still. And that reassures me on a level though I know time is short. So I try to make sure I enjoy every moment which remains.