Page 331 of 335 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335 LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 5013

I have a lot of respect for snakes and spiders (even though I do not like them, nor want to be around them) because they are incredibly adaptable and can survive and thrive in harsh environments. I watched a documentary a few nights ago and they were showing parts of the world where they have lots of snakes and some of the snakes are just huge. Some of them hang in the trees and people get bitten when looking for fruit. Other people get bitten by one of the worlds deadliest snakes because it can leap within a radius of several meters so even if a person is running away the person can still get attacked. The guy next door liked reptiles. Same with my cousin. I liked butterflies and pretty things like that growing up. But yeah, spiders and snakes aren't on my list of favorite things.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Cei-U, when's the warning thread come out for this year's 12 Days of Comics Classics Christmas?
    [insert facetious rant about how people can't even wait for Thanksgiving to be done before they start pushing Christmas]

In actuality, I'm excited for the prompt this year, too. I've been too busy the last year (two years?) to really participate.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Cei-U, when's the warning thread come out for this year's 12 Days of Comics Classics Christmas?
    Popped in to check for this very thing. I'll pop in again in a couple days.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Not a fan of spiders as at all. Majoir phobia. Snakes, scorpions, and other critters don't bother me. But spiders, deadly or not make my flesh crawl. And there are too many damned wolf spiders in this state to my liking.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Friday morning, my impatient ursine friend.

Cei-U!
    I summon the anticipation!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

adam_warlock_2099 - spiders are definitely one of my phobias. particularly the larger ones. i remember as a child, somebody got bitten by a spider and their arm swelled up and got severely infected. i think around that point i remember thinking spiders were horrible. as an adult, friends tell me they do a lot of good, and kill other insects, so if the spider is co-operative and does not scare me too much by running all over the place, or jumping in my direction, and is not too big, i do try and put it outside, well away from the house but the bigger ones? they send a chill through my body. just those huge hairy legs walking along and those beady eyes. its just too scary. even with a can of insect spray sometimes i do not feel safe because i will spray them over and over and the large ones take a long time to die.

Ugh. A family member is sick but is refusing to contact their Doctor (its now been over 4 hours since they rang, hoping to talk to them). I really do not understand why some people drag their heels when it comes to their health? I know it can be scary but just sticking your head in the sand seems kind of pointless.

Well it took several hours but I finally got the family member to get in touch with their Doctor about the medications they are taking. I really wish people could be a little more co-operative instead of making everything a battle. I mean when it comes to your health I think people should take it seriously, that's if they care about their health. And just dragging your feet can have serious consequences. Overall, least its done. But I feel seriously drained after the back and forth all day.

Speaking of sickly people, one of my best friends looks like he will be going into an aged care facility next year. He's a bit nervous about it, because he has always been a very independent kind of person and does not take too kindly to people doing things for him (he prefers to do them himself). But he realizes with failing health he is reaching that tipping point soon in which he will no longer be able to care for himself. It's a very topical thing these days because the world is facing huge challenges with an aging population. Not only in being able to care for them, but providing good care. And the horror stories are all too familiar. I think my family member does dread the idea of the loss of independence. Especially as they tend to be very stubborn. I've been caring for them today. It's been very back and forth in terms of getting them to relax because they do not take well to people doing things for them. But at the moment they are sitting upright in the chair watching television. I have put out another chair for them to stretch their legs and provided a cushion for extra support. Also made sure they have plenty of water since being sick I worry they will dehydrate.

Watched a fascinating special on Hurricane Sandy that I saw advertised. Shows incredible footage of the destruction wrought by the storm as well as features interviews with some people who captured private video footage. One of the central themes (which is often repeated through history sadly) is that many people did not think it would be so bad. So they decided to stay. But its always that one storm you don't see coming. That one disaster that causes so much misery. I sometimes wonder too about the people who work for television stations. Having the reporters out in the field getting blown about because it makes for dramatic television. I wonder how many people watch them and think well, if they are out there in the elements, then they can be too and it won't be so bad?

Have the chance to visit some bookstores tomorrow but not sure if I will go? I was more figuring I would go the following weekend and then once more two weeks after that so I could get two visits in before Xmas (since the stores tend to be packed with offers around that time of year). I do know they have several large lots of Archie and Phantom comic books as well as older sci-fi/comic magazines but I think they would still be there when I next go (though one never really knows considering it just takes one customer or several to buy huge lots of things). Plus this weekend I have more domesticated duties to attend like chores around the house.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Had to say goodbye to my oldest (not that 2 1/2 years was very old at all) cat, Howie, about an hour ago. Kidney failure.

I hate this time of year. Forty years ago on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the great-aunt who practically raised me died. Etc. etc. etc.

Goodbye, Howiekitten. I loved you so.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Had to say goodbye to my oldest (not that 2 1/2 years was very old at all) cat, Howie, about an hour ago. Kidney failure.

I hate this time of year. Forty years ago on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the great-aunt who practically raised me died. Etc. etc. etc.

My deepest sympathies, Dan. I'd go apesh*t bonkers if anything happened to my 2 cats.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

I'm very sorry to hear that, Dan. Condolences for your loss.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

You have my wife and I's deepest sympathy Dan. We lost 2 of our coven of cats in 2011, but this year has been kinder to us so far, but we understand what it's like to lose a companion like that.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco