Page 328 of 335 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 5013

Hard to concentrate today since I didn't sleep well last night due to nightmares. To distract myself, and cheer myself up at the same time, I'm sorting through old comics, toys, and trading cards (remember those?) to give to charity. Since Xmas isn't too far away, that means the charity stores will be going into overdrive since they are needed more at Xmas than at any other time (followed closely by the early new Year). It's a sobering thought but not every adult can afford to give their children presents at Xmas. And not every child has a parent. Some children come into stores with a relative (since in some cases their parent is absent in their lives, or has died through accident/ill health). I'm also hoping to get to some of the bookstores next week or so to buy a stack of Disney, Hanna-Barbera and Archie comic books since I know those are immensely popular with children.

Hey Kan-Man - its frustrating seeing the lack of help in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Too often in disasters we see a breakdown in communication and relief efforts and it just adds to the frustrations and misery of those left trying to pick up their lives and to resume some sense of normality.

I'm going to start a big reread of all of my "spine-out" comics (the ones I keep on bookshelves). I've been working up to this for awhile but haven't had time to reorganize and marshal my inner resources. After finishing reading Titus Groan (and declaring myself "off books!") and also finishing a mural I've been working on for three weeks, I finally took a night to put my comics in alphabetical order by title on the shelves, which is the order I'm going to do the reread in. Abe Sapien to Zorro! I'm excited to keep some sort of reading diary while I do this.

And, randomly, here are some pictures of the mural I painted at a volunteer-run bookstore in my neighborhood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	104225

Name:	full.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	104226

Name:	scale.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	104227

Thanks for answering Jez. 2012 has been a very mixed year for myself. There has been a lot of ups and downs health-wise and for those I care about. I am very close to a woman and her health has been steadily failing. At one point a few months ago I was told to prepare for her death and it just threw me for a loop because I thought how do I even prepare for something like that? So I have been spending as much time as I can with her. Also in the past 48hrs I have received bad news concerning another woman I am very close to. So there is that to contend with as well. My own health has been very turbulent as a result. I guess if I had to pull apart the pieces of this year, I would like to be better at dealing with stress in my life and dealing with dominant people. I tend to be a mass of insecurities so the people I encounter often do their best to dominate and when I object they tell me I am just imagining things and that I am over-reacting.

Heard about another two comic collections which are up for sale (though the sellers are a bit erratic as they have not decided upon prices). One seller has 2000 comic books. The second seller has 20,000 comic books. I'm more interested in the person who has 20,000 but considering they live in another state it could prove difficult finding out more details/as well as visiting them in person. Plus Xmas is fast approaching and there are the local bookstores which will be packed too.

Having a nice quiet morning (the kind I love and prefer). Just me, the computer, my journal and a bunch of comic books. Doing things alone can be a real blessing and comfort. Don't have somebody looking at me and I get to do what I want without having to ask somebody else "Is this okay by you?"

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Ironically, my sister sliced open her thumb last night.
    Deliberately?

Hardcore, man.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Was talking about Xmas with a good friend last night. It's ironic in many ways, that Xmas stresses so many people out. As somebody who does not have much family (most of those I loved are long passed), I find it somewhat ironic that people having to spend time with their loved ones stresses them out. As friends have told me "It's not just that. It's what to buy? Will they like it? Then having to pack. Having to travel. Staying with them. Then having to do it all again the following year." Truly! It's funny in some respects that people fear and loathe their own families. Now I understand not everybody has a great rapport with their family. But nobody is forcing them to do it. If they don't want to go, they don't have to go. But many people feel 'obligated' and the unspoken silences drives them crazy. For myself, I like picking out presents for somebody I care about. I don't feel I have to buy anybody anything. I want to buy them something. It won't be extravagant because I'm not like that but it will be something they want. That I know because I don't want to give somebody something they have no use for. As for Xmas myself, I will probably spend half of it alone. I don't mind actually. Not now. But years ago, oh my God, I would ball my eyes out sitting there having Xmas lunch/dinner by myself and thinking of all the good times those I knew were having. But now knowing their Xmas is not so perfect after all. Well sitting there alone smiling as I eat my own lunch/dinner doesn't sound half bad at that.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Deliberately?

Hardcore, man.
    I told you she was tough!

Cei-U!
    Whereas I'm a big wimp!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I am hoping to visit the toy stores and bookstores in the next two weeks. Then hopefully one more visit closer to Xmas. My wish is that they will have more comic books in, and hopefully more comic books in their International division since those usually bring a smile to my face more than others. I really love the foreign printings in particular because they are just so different in terms of content and layout. The covers are usually different and its very good when you see an iron-on transfer from the seventies still looking in brand new condition. Sometimes the comic books even come with a pack of trading cards or pull out poster. In the lead-up to Xmas the stores should be busy though retailers are cautious due to the fragile worldwide economy.

Was trying to talk about the tumultuous financial markets with a friend yesterday (not too successfully I might add). Problem is a lot of people don't want to talk about it, let alone focus upon it, because it's a depressing topic. I think too often as human beings we like to stick our heads in the sand and pretend problems will pass if we ignore them long enough but clearly that is not going to happen. Too often people are spending money on credit. In parts of Europe people are angry about what they see as harsh austerity measures to rein in burgeoning debt while in America, the looming fiscal cliff is spooking market traders and investors with the stock market up and down like a roller-coaster.

So my doctor said I have one of the worst cases of sleep apnea he has ever seen. Most sleep apnea folks will wake up average 10-20x an hour. During my sleep study I was waking up an average of 70x an hour. My choices are a bunch of facial reconstructive surgery or wear one of those sleep masks every night for the rest of my life. Talk about Sophie's choice, eh.

I suppose prior to getting my surgery, I could become an international art thief, then after the surgery I hide with my stolen Van Goghs in my secret lair, with no one the wiser.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    So my doctor said I have one of the worst cases of sleep apnea he has ever seen. Most sleep apnea folks will wake up average 10-20x an hour. During my sleep study I was waking up an average of 70x an hour.
    Can't remember the figure they measured me at during my night at the sleep disorder center here a couple of years ago, but I must've been in that range as well; the technician woke me up long before my monitored hour was up because I'd already soared past the "danger -- Will Robinson!" level.

My choices are a bunch of facial reconstructive surgery or wear one of those sleep masks every night for the rest of my life.
    I wore a mask for about 3 months with good results, then during a hotel stay lost a little part of the apparatus, & for some reason the supply place sent me a different type of mask that I found really uncomfortable. Somehow, by the time I was able to get the previous type of mask, the spell had been broken, as it were, & I've never worn it for any length of time again.

Only exception is when I'm in a motel room with someone else; I wear it to eliminate the snoring. That's an average of 3 nights a year.

Oh, well.

Talk about Sophie's choice, eh.
    My youngest cat Sophie? I doubt she cares.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    So my doctor said I have one of the worst cases of sleep apnea he has ever seen. Most sleep apnea folks will wake up average 10-20x an hour. During my sleep study I was waking up an average of 70x an hour. My choices are a bunch of facial reconstructive surgery or wear one of those sleep masks every night for the rest of my life. Talk about Sophie's choice, eh.

I suppose prior to getting my surgery, I could become an international art thief, then after the surgery I hide with my stolen Van Goghs in my secret lair, with no one the wiser.
    I have been wearing the mask for about 7 years now. I hate sleeping without it now. I feel so much more rested and sleep so much sounder with it on. It take some getting used to obviously, but it's not as bad as it seems.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Lack of sleep and disruptive sleep patterns are very common these days unfortunately. I wake up many times a night, mostly due to overheating or nightmares. I think nightmares are very common but most of us don't remember them. Sadly I am one of those people who wakes up usually because of them. Its sort of like A Nightmare On Elm Street. Last night somebody I live with was stumbling around in the dark. I remember asking them if everything was okay and having a brief conversation with them. Just a short time ago they were telling me they did something they could not remember doing and I told them about last night and how they had mentioned it then but they had no recollection. If I had to guess what was the cause I would say they have a lot of things troubling them emotionally at the moment but they bottle them up like a lot of people and so they manifest through the dreams while they are asleep.