Page 326 of 335 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 5013
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    tony ingram you make a good point about people following other people's lives obsessively. I see that happen a lot these days with people following other people via twitter, facebook and other social media websites; sometimes sitting for hours at a time following other people’s lives. For myself I tend to feel a little uncomfortable around people. That's not to say I don't like people because I do but there is usually some awkward feelings there. It's probably why I like doing things alone. Like reading, writing, going to bookstores. At first I found it lonely but there is also strength in doing things by yourself.
    Oh, I agree with that last part. But I do think that following the lives of relative strangers from a distance can become a substitute for actually connecting with the people around them, for some people.

It definitely does become a substitute for a great many people but I also think the simple interactions are often being lost to many people too. They find it easier to open up to strangers online than actually communicate with somebody who is in front of them.

BANNED

It definitely does become a substitute for a great many people but I also think the simple interactions are often being lost to many people too. They find it easier to open up to strangers online than actually communicate with somebody who is in front of them.
    Sadly true.

Ever since the break-ins and attempted break-ins in the area I have to admit I am nervous. Sometimes scared too and have been checking the windows and doors regularly. On one hand I'm fearful of somebody breaking in while I'm not here but at the same time, it scares me to think what would happen if I were here and somebody broke in. A friend had that exact experience several years ago. He was fast asleep in the bedroom and woke some hours later to discover the front door had been forced and his house robbed - all the while he was sleeping in the bedroom just a few feet away. Creepy.

It's a nice day and I considered heading to the bookstores but they can wait for another time. It's easy to get distracted and spend money these days. There are so many temptations but like I remind my friends, just because there are temptations does not mean you have to fall for them. I think its why the world is in such a mess financially. People love to spend money. And they borrow too much money and then complain when they have to repay that same money. There's nothing wrong with spending money as long as its a measured response. But so many people are the opposite. They talk about all the cheap bargains. Saying its saving them money. But they keep spending. And pretty soon all those cheap bills add up to one huge bill. And they are in debt and having to re-organize their lives to accommodate those purchases. As I always remind myself, just because something is affordable and cheap does not mean I have to buy it and considering the state of the world's finances I do not expect it to turn around any time soon. There will be other chances. Other opportunities.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Right at the present I am told it is a indefinite time period but my boss has asked me to work a day shift and try and get some projects done in the warehouse that the owner is wanting to get done. At the time he asked me it will be to the end of the year for the projected time. Hopefully this will be my ticket to a permanent day shift. If not at least I get to return to an evening shift where I would get off at 9pm instead of 2am.

I am to start Monday so I have three nights to get back to sleeping at night. Tonight is not starting so well.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Finding permanent work can be really difficult in today's world. Especially due to the ever-shifting economic and technological advances. I remember as a child it was common for people to stay with a company most of their lives from teens/early 20s right through to older age but that doesn't seem to happen much anymore. It's such a difficult world. Not just in terms of workplace but everything else. Sometimes I feel like I have walked into a parallel world. I remember asking some of my friends if they ever feel like they have too and they said yes. It's the only way they can rationalize the world we live in.

I have the bulk of my comic collection at a storage facility in Manhattan. The storage company notified me they are closing my facility and offered me a free move to a different site. Yesterday I met the movers at the facility to open the room so they can begin the transfer. They saw all the long boxes and instantly cried out "COMICS"
    As they worked they told me stories of homes they had to empty out because the resident died. Boxes and boxes of comics thrown out without knowing if any had value.

Hi Ish, its sad that things get thrown out but in the case of a person dying it can be due to health hazards. Depending on when the body is found and what kind of condition (humidity and other factors can hasten a body's deterioration within a 24hr period) the people who have the task of removing items from the house can do so because of the health related aspects.

About storage facility's they have drawbacks too because often people don't or forget to pay their monthly bill. So then people can technically open their lockers and sell their goods. I remember there was a big auction last year I read about where somebody had stored thousands of games and toys and comic books among other things because they had not paid the bill so the owners opened up their locker and sold the goods to the highest bidder.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    I have the bulk of my comic collection at a storage facility in Manhattan. The storage company notified me they are closing my facility and offered me a free move to a different site. Yesterday I met the movers at the facility to open the room so they can begin the transfer. They saw all the long boxes and instantly cried out "COMICS"
    As they worked they told me stories of homes they had to empty out because the resident died. Boxes and boxes of comics thrown out without knowing if any had value.
    I know what they meant, but I'd say those comics probably had and could still have had value to somebody - just not the kind of value they were talking about.

Would they have value to somebody? Sure, but then again items often get thrown out because its simply a case of people going in and clearing the contents asap. Its sort of like when my grandfather died. My grandma was left in the house alone and after she died I remember people going to the house and deciding what they wanted. I remember walking around and thinking gee, how can somebody live so long and have nothing of value? But of course at that age I didn't understand things as clearly as I do now and most of her items would be deemed antique, which of course is a booming market.

I've been eating white chocolate today. It's so yummy. The only thing which would be more perfect is a bowl of vanilla ice cream with ripples of white chocolate on top. All cooled to within a degree of perfection and eating it with a small spoon.

My typing is going to be a lot slower over the coming days as I accidentally ripped my index finger open last night. I didn't think it was such a big deal (I mean cuts and bruises are fairly common) but it kept bleeding today when I was out shopping so its bandaged up now. Makes hitting the keyboard keys a little more difficult but then I suppose that's what spell check is for right?

BANNED

My typing is going to be a lot slower over the coming days as I accidentally ripped my index finger open last night. I didn't think it was such a big deal (I mean cuts and bruises are fairly common) but it kept bleeding today when I was out shopping so its bandaged up now. Makes hitting the keyboard keys a little more difficult but then I suppose that's what spell check is for right?
    Coincidence! I sliced my thumb open last night-oddly enough, on a comic box as I was lifting it back into position. My boxes have plastic tags on the front which hold a file card noting the contents, and the tags have a sharp edge I've never really noticed before. It bled for ages.