Page 4 of 335 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 5013
  1. #46
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    I I really need to buy me a turntable, I still have a lot of 45 that my mother gave me when I moved out.
    I still use the one I bought the summer after my freshman year in college, right at 33 years ago -- a Pioneer PL516. Same with my amp, a Pioneer SX7500-II (I think ... working on memory here, obviously) & KLH speakers (albeit re-coned in '89), though I've gone through a handful of single & double tape decks & a few CD players.

    If they ain't broke, I don't replace them.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  2. #47
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Oh and the reason I logged on and came here ... had an interview this morning that I feel really strongly about. A vendor I knew from my last job called me this morning and asked me to come in for an interview. I had sent him an email on Tuesday, the day I was let go, and he called me today and said that he had been on vacation last week and did indeed have an opening he was looking to fill. This would be the job to get, I have some knowledge in what they do and would give me an upper hand in getting the job. Plus it might get me better pay too.
    Here's hoping!

    (Just don't tell him the part about you being 10 & all. I think all the child labor laws are still on the books.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  3. #48
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    I'm taking care of one dying dog (blind, deaf, incontinent, paralyzed in one leg),
    Having loved & lost a deaf springer spaniel & a blind Shih-Tzu a couple of years apart in 2002 & 2004, I am now ready to shoot myself.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  4. #49
    Idaho Spuds Slam_Bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    16,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    I really need to buy me a turntable, I still have a lot of 45 that my mother gave me when I moved out.
    My older son, Nathan (15) asked for and received a USB turntable last Christmas. He picked up a half dozen 78s this weekend at a thrift store this weekend. He was bummed that a Hank Snow 78 was broken.

    Oddly we see a lot more 78s hereabouts than we do 45s.

  5. #50
    In Moderation Lone Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,423

    Default

    I think this thread is a fine place for people to (gently) pimp their own side projects etc...

    Some of you know that my wife and I started a Podcast a while back. Well, we've now been at it for 6 months and just released our 24th episode.

    I listen to quite a few podcasts during my commute and sessions at the gym, so I got the idea that it would be a fun project for Kat and I to take on together.

    They aren't too long (generally 45-60 minutes) and we discuss some recent TV and movie viewings as well as one longer film review. We alternate who picks the film and have managed to cover quite a few eras and genre. I'm sure there's a movie there for almost every taste.

    We'd love to get more listeners and feedback from those listeners so that we can build our own little mini-community. You can send us feedback via our voicemail line or our email address. Let us know what you think and perhaps recommend a movie or two.

    You can find us at http://marriedwithclickers.libsyn.com/ or search for Married With Clickers in the iTunes stores.

    To be honest, the early episodes are a bit tough for me to listen to, as we were really working out the kinks (technically and in terms of our discussions). I think that we are starting to find our groove.


    If you've got a blog or something along those lines - feel free to discuss it in this thread. So long as no one is selling anything - it's all in good fun.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

    Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

    Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

    "I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

  6. #51
    Cute.5 Aaron King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mipple City, MN
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    I think this thread is a fine place for people to (gently) pimp their own side projects etc...
    I'm totally okay with this (not that anyone needs my permission). It'll be fun to see what people are working on.

    Dan: I hope you don't shoot yourself. The dog is still eating and still sits majestically in the back yard, looking out over the lake. I've been dogsitting for this family for about six years off and on, and he's one of my favorite pets ever (including my own dogs from youth). He's led a long and happy life.

    I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

  7. #52
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    Perhaps I'll just shoot you instead, for no particular reason.

    Not that I own a gun.

    Or have ever fired one.

    (The BB gun I had as a kid doesn't, or at least shouldn't, count.)

    I'm just one of those pathetic souls who tends to get far more sentimental over animals than people, is all. (Too, animals aren't capable of such crimes against nature as liking the Eagles, AFAIK.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  8. #53
    Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I still use the one I bought the summer after my freshman year in college, right at 33 years ago -- a Pioneer PL516. Same with my amp, a Pioneer SX7500-II (I think ... working on memory here, obviously) & KLH speakers (albeit re-coned in '89), though I've gone through a handful of single & double tape decks & a few CD players.

    If they ain't broke, I don't replace them.
    I think the fact that I have most of what I have on 45's I have on other recordings is why I have been dragging my feet since my last one broke.

    I've had a KLH surround sound setup since 1994 or so. They are good speakers and I have had yet to replace them. I enjoy the superior sound of a movie more than I do visuals. Give me a plain ole TV and surround sound, and I'll pass up an HDTV without it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    My older son, Nathan (15) asked for and received a USB turntable last Christmas. He picked up a half dozen 78s this weekend at a thrift store this weekend. He was bummed that a Hank Snow 78 was broken.

    Oddly we see a lot more 78s hereabouts than we do 45s.
    Are those to plug into a PC? Or are stereo receivers now equipped with USB ports?
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

  9. #54
    Idaho Spuds Slam_Bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    16,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Are those to plug into a PC? Or are stereo receivers now equipped with USB ports?

    Yeah, it plugs in to the PC. So he can rip his vinyl if he wants. It will also act as a normal turntable if he wants it too, but he plays it through the computer for space reasons.

  10. #55
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    What'll they think of next? (I've heard tell they make phones that people can walk around with all over creation & talk on, & even look up stuff on the internet ... not that you could prove it by me, who didn't even own a cordless phone till about 2 weeks ago.)

    I've got a CD recorder that's hooked up to my turntable & tape deck. That's sort of ideal for me, in that my stereo & my computer are at opposite ends of the house, & I have every intention of that arrangement remaining intact.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  11. #56
    Amphibian Phil Maurice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    I haven't owned a turntable in 15 years, but I still have a few dozen LPs and some 45s. Some very troublesome 45s.

    When my mother-in-law passed in '04, among her belongings were a small stack of 45s that are, well, disgustingly racist. They seem to date from the early 60s, are on independent labels with imagery of klansmen and the like, and the song titles are liberally sprinkled with the N-word. I've never listened to them, and have no desire to.

    This was not surprising to the family. It's North Georgia, and my wife's mother made no secret of her feelings regarding race relations. She was born in 1937, a fact I mention by way of explanation, not vindication.

    I saved these things from being thrown away thinking they had some historical value. But I've never found a use for them. They're not quaint or kitschy, they're just hateful and vile. I'm leaning toward pitching them in the trash. Anyone know a reason I shouldn't?
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

    Namor, Defenders #3

  12. #57
    Senior Member Jolly Mon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    I haven't owned a turntable in 15 years, but I still have a few dozen LPs and some 45s. Some very troublesome 45s.

    When my mother-in-law passed in '04, among her belongings were a small stack of 45s that are, well, disgustingly racist. They seem to date from the early 60s, are on independent labels with imagery of klansmen and the like, and the song titles are liberally sprinkled with the N-word. I've never listened to them, and have no desire to.

    This was not surprising to the family. It's North Georgia, and my wife's mother made no secret of her feelings regarding race relations. She was born in 1937, a fact I mention by way of explanation, not vindication.

    I saved these things from being thrown away thinking they had some historical value. But I've never found a use for them. They're not quaint or kitschy, they're just hateful and vile. I'm leaning toward pitching them in the trash. Anyone know a reason I shouldn't?
    Do you know anyone who does target shooting? If so, they'd make fine targets.

  13. #58
    Senior Member inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    Stuff like that is so rare, I would advise against throwing it out, no matter how distasteful. I would say put it on eBay if you think it can get past the terms of service. Barring that, there are tons of race-obsessed "race studies" professors out there who need something new and different to write about, maybe you could find one of them to take them. Someone somewhere could probably get a journal article out of it at the least. Go dump them in the offices of the African-American Studies program at Emory or something.

    OTOH, if you can google the recordings and find they're already archived online just dump them or use them as coasters or targets or whatever.
    Last edited by inferno; 06-27-2011 at 02:28 PM.

  14. #59
    Amphibian Phil Maurice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    Stuff like that is so rare, I would advise against throwing it out, no matter how distasteful. I would say put it on eBay if you think it can get past the terms of service. Barring that, there are tons of race-obsessed "race studies" professors out there who need something new and different to write about, maybe you could find one of them to take them. Someone somewhere could probably get a journal article out of it at the least. Go dump them in the offices of the African-American Studies program at Emory or something.
    It's touchy. I certainly don't want to profit from them. Ideally, it would be nice if they were used as a teaching tool as you suggest. I like the idea of completely circumventing their original intent.
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

    Namor, Defenders #3

  15. #60
    Frugal fanboy Cei-U!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Before I get sidetracked, a hearty congratulations to shax on the arrival of his new daughter! Love them rugrats long as they aren't mine!

    Now then...

    MusicI've long since gotten used to music snobs looking down their noses at me. I refuse to apologize for my tastes and I, in turn, do not ask you to apologize for yours. In fact, I have pretty eclectic tastes, encompassing everything from Duke Ellington to Patty Loveless, from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Bernadette Peters. Really, the only kinds of Western music I don't care for are opera, heavy metal, rap/hip-hop and (sorry, dan) punk but even so, I bet I could name at least one act or song in each genre that I do dig.

    I do not understand, however, what the big deal about Prince is.

    EDIT: Almost forget to mention that I may have dan beat as far as ancient stereo equipment goes. I still have (and use) the same huge Kenworth speakers I bought in the autumn of '77. Damned if they still don't sound awesome!

    Personal projects I don't know if this qualifies but I've signed up for the Tacoma Public Library's Adult Summer Reading Program. As a kid, signing up at the Moore Branch every June was as big a part of summer as fireworks on the Fourth, backyard BBQs and the JLA/JSA crossovers.

    This year, I have a list of 34 books I hope to finish by Labor Day. All of them have two things in common: they're non-fiction and their authors were featured in Continuing The Conversation, a collection of interviews from the PBS series Bill Moyers' Journal.

    At the moment, I'm about midway through A History of God by Karen Armstrong. I thought I had a fairly good layman's grasp of the histories of the three great monotheistic faiths--Judaism, Christianity, Islam--but Ms. Armstrong has knocked that particular piece of self-deception right outta me. I suspect the bibliography alone will keep me scouring the library shelves for years to come.

    Current Sources of Frustration Of course, I wouldn't be doing quite so much reading if only my exterior hard drive was back up and running. I've been indexing my New Teen Titans run to keep my hand in but I'm constantly running across something I want to look up in my files but can't. Hopefully, my intepid nephew-in-law will be able to fix it soon.

    Th-th-that's all for now.

    Cei-U!
    I summon the puny potpourri!
    Last edited by Cei-U!; 06-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •