Page 1 of 335 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Meanwhile... Pt. 1

Here's the thread on the Classic Comics Forum for all of your tangential and off-topic conversations (although, as you know - that sort of thing isn't exactly discouraged in other threads).

Talk about your family, your jobs, your good times and bad times.

The Board Rules apply so no personal attacks, no spam, treat each other respectfully etc...

I will keep a close eye on this thread, to ensure that it is doing what we want it to do. If the tone becomes too negative, I'll bring the experiment to an end.

Some basic parameters:

• Be respectful of others and their opinions
    • Keep Political and Religious talk to a minimum
    • If you are going to discuss something controversial, don't just say "So and So sucks" and walk off.
    • If someone has written something that upsets you - take a deep breath and remember that this is just the internet
    • Speak to me about anything you think should be removed from the thread or if you need an issue addressed

Return to this initial post from time to time, as I may tweak the rules.

Have fun, but not too much fun.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

Ok - here goes.

My left knee has been feeling wonky all weekend. I had a scope done on it back when I was 19, and it's been pretty good in the nearly 20 years since then.

I can't comfortably bend it, and I'm thinking it's an MCL sprain. I'm off to see my doctor this AM.

Man, I love getting old.

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

My left knee is the one that's been somewhat problematic for me ever since I skidded in some gravel in 8th grade on the street in front of my house. Can't remember the details, except that I must've been running (since I never learned to ride a book), for whatever reason. (Maybe it was Tuesday afternoon, the day magazines arrived, & some particularly anticipated comic was due in the spinner racks ...)

That didn't stop me from keeping on trying out for the basketball team that year (I'd warmed the bench in 7th grade), but it certainly didn't help.

Wish I could blame that for my failure to make the team, but I'm honest enough to concede that an absolute lack of talent for anything except occasionally getting hot from what would now be 3-point territory (& already was in my beloved ABA, but not in the NBA, college, high school, etc.) was the controlling factor.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-27-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

And responding to precocious young adam_warlock_2099's final post on the thread that this one supplants --

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Never was much for drugs, other -- obviously -- than what I'm prescribed. Probably goes to my inherent cheapness more than anything; I spend way too much on comics, books, music & very occasionally movies, but at least I can keep those around.
    If you want to know how I feel about tattoos that's about the gist. My wife however has three.
    Which is the number I have, as it happens. More synchronicity!

Quote:
    No interest in those guys, not surprisingly, given my punk/postpunk leanings. I think I've heard only one Floyd albums all the way through, the earliest one with Syd Barrett, & even that didn't do much for me.
    And I'm not a militant, uber fan, poser, roadie, or even really a lover of musicians or bands. I like music itself, and tend to just listen to what I like. I can listen to Bob Dylan right after Jay Z on my ipod shuffle. I just like music. Prince and Pink Floyd have just been two that have consistently entertained me. And Pink Floyd I missed out on because I was born too damned late.
    Prince had quite a run, from roughly 1980-1990, I guess. Hearing his single "Controversy" on the "urban" AM station (along with not having a/c, my '73 Corolla also didn't have FM) shortly after I moved to Phoenix in late summer of '81 was singlehandedly responsible for reviving my interest in soul, funk etc. (I'd listened to loads of r&b on the radio as a kid in the late '60s & early '70s) after 3-plus years of complete immersion in punk, postpunk & New Wave.

At any rate, for about 2 1/2 decades, I consumed music like I do comics these days. Since late '04, more or less, I've probably spent less time listening (& fewer dollars obtaining) music in the intervening 6 1/2 years than I used to in, probably, a month. Depression almost certainly played a part in that, especially since loss of interest in something that previously gave one pleasure is a tell-tale sign of the syndrome, though part of it might be that at some point I had to stop serving two masters, as it were, & chose to give in to comics instead for the first time in ... 2 1/2 decades. At any rate, I've compared it before to probably almost being tantamount to losing one of one's senses ... The last few weeks, though, I've begun bouncing back somewhat as far as taking an interest in new (to me, anyway) stuff, so we'll see.

Oh, yeah -- iPod shuffle? You kids & your silly gadgets. I'm as interested in listening to music on anything but my stereo or ghetto blaster as I am in reading comics on a computer screen -- not at all.

Quote:
    I was just a total, unapologetic candy-ass when it came to alcohol -- I liked sweet drinks like margaritas or daquiris & others of that ilk, & if push came to shove rum & coke or a screwdriver, but that's about it. As noted, my Crohn's (having a hiatal hernia couldn't have helped, either) forced me to give up any sort of drinking maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Can't drink cokes of any sort, either, which is sort of tragic for someone to whom red cream soda, in particular, is the nectar of the gods.

At any rate, never did drink a whole lot to begin with. Was raised in a strictly teetotaling Southern Baptist household in a dry county (not that alcohol can't be had in a dry county, of course), so it just wasn't part of my surroundings. I've had one hangover in my life, back in the spring of 1985, after far too much 151-proof Ron Rico golden rum & coke, & that was enough to cure me of ever coming anywhere near that stage again.

The gods forbid if I ever contract a disease that retards my enjoyment of alcohol. There are two things of the carnal senses that I enjoy on this planet, sex and alcohol. I've never really ventured into other drugs than pot one time and LSD on time. Neither of which I enjoyed. But those other two ... yeah I'm an addict.
    I've definitely got an addictive personality -- my house is filled very nearly to capacity with the evidence of that -- but for some reason it's never extended to anything ingestible. Luck of the draw, I guess.

(And in recounting above what I used to drink, I see I neglected to cite hard cider. It's sort of like beer, if beer were palatable.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-27-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

(And in recounting above what I used to drink, I see I neglected to cite hard cider. It's sort of like beer, if beer were palatable.)
    Mmm, cider... Though very common in northern Spain, I haven't tasted cider in almost two years, since I last went to Normandy (I'll never forget the mussels in cider, plus a bottle of the best cider I've ever had, that I ate in Honfleur!). But normally, the decadent European that I am, I only drink wine.

I actually came across a bottle of cider in the back of my fridge last night, which tells us that I clean that appliance out about as often as I reorder my short box of Castle of Frankensteins & The Monster Timeses -- i.e. just about never.

Never was much of a wine drinker. My sweet tooth when it came to mixed drinks & such extended to wine as well, so I'd be much happier with a bottle of, say, Manischewitz Cream Cherry or Loganberry or whatever than anything even remotely "proper."
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.

-- Reptisaurus!

Looks like I've got a strained or partially torn MCL in Ye Olde Left Knee.

Can't really pinpoint what happened - just constantly up and down off the floor with the kids.

It's not the end of the world - just a drag.

I was hoping to work out a lot through the summer to offset the amount of beer I plan on drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    I was hoping to work out a lot through the summer to offset the amount of beer I plan on drinking.
    And wine, I presume, judging from your occasional reviews of same on your blog.

(Which I confess I haven't been to in weeks; having my computer revamped last month or whenever took out all my old bookmarks, & I've been very desultory about restoring them. And now that I -- knock wood -- am no longer plagued by spontaneous blue screens & reboots & such, I can actually get back to listening to your podcast, too; a freeze shut me down maybe halfway through the second episode awhile back, & after that I gave up on listening to anything via my machine.)

-- Reptisaurus!

The magistrate judge in the county in which I live has made noises that he's going to finally retire a year from this coming September. I've been quietly talking to a lot of local attorneys and the judges to assess my chances. The magistrates are picked by a committee and then have a retention election.

So far the response has been good. A lot of good advice. Nobody who told me I'm wasting my time (even from some people who I've had issues with in the past).

So I'll probably end up throwing my hat in the ring when the time comes. I'm liking the time-line, because it gives me a lot of time to shmooz the right people.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Ok - here goes.

My left knee has been feeling wonky all weekend. I had a scope done on it back when I was 19, and it's been pretty good in the nearly 20 years since then.

I can't comfortably bend it, and I'm thinking it's an MCL sprain. I'm off to see my doctor this AM.

Man, I love getting old.
    This past week my knee felt sore. I let it go and went thru work and all. But I felt a tightness in my knee at some points. By Friday I could see some swelling and knew I had better go.

I took 2 shots for it. Got some meds and the swelling went down.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

And wine, I presume, judging from your occasional reviews of same on your blog.

(Which I confess I haven't been to in weeks; , I can actually get back to listening to your podcast, too; a freeze shut me down maybe halfway through the second episode awhile back, & after that I gave up on listening to anything via my machine.)
    Yup - I still love and drink a good amount of wine (judging by the empty bottles in my basement). I really should try to write more reviews. Kinda forgot.

Don't worry abouy my blog - I haven't been there much lately either. It's been a hectic month.

As for the podcast - thanks for giving it a try. We're still at it - doing a show a week or thereabout.

They can really test a machine's power. Are you listening to it streaming or do you download it and play it on your machine's Media Player? I think the latter may be easier in terms of not killing you computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    The magistrate judge in the county in which I live has made noises that he's going to finally retire a year from this coming September. I've been quietly talking to a lot of local attorneys and the judges to assess my chances. The magistrates are picked by a committee and then have a retention election.

So far the response has been good. A lot of good advice. Nobody who told me I'm wasting my time (even from some people who I've had issues with in the past).

So I'll probably end up throwing my hat in the ring when the time comes. I'm liking the time-line, because it gives me a lot of time to shmooz the right people.
    Wow - that sounds very exciting. You'd have my vote.

As for the podcast - thanks for giving it a try. We're still at it - doing a show a week or thereabout.

They can really test a machine's power. Are you listening to it streaming or do you download it and play it on your machine's Media Player? I think the latter may be easier in terms of not killing you computer.
    I think I was listening to it streaming. Back then, though, my machine was blue-screening & otherwise having problems no matter what I did or didn't do, so that wouldn't have been the cause.

The download tip is appreciated, though. I'll do that this evening, probably.

-- Reptisaurus!

Slam --

If you prevail, will we have to call you "Your Honor"?

I always got along well with the various judges & lawyers I used to interact with when I was covering the courts back in '86-'88 & '90. None of whom I called "Your Honor," dammit.

Though if there's a contempt of court citation in the balance ...

-- Reptisaurus!

Slam --

If you prevail, will we have to call you "Your Honor"?

I always got along well with the various judges & lawyers I used to interact with when I was covering the courts back in '86-'88 & '90. None of whom I called "Your Honor," dammit.

Though if there's a contempt of court citation in the balance ...

You can go ahead and address me as Milord, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    You can go ahead and address me as Milord, Dan.
    No eye contact allowed, and you must enter and exit the room without turning your back on the magistrate.