Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Superhero Box Office: "Green Lantern" Falls 66%

In its second weekend of release the Warner Bros superhero film "Green Lantern" made $18.4 million, a 66% drop from its debut. Despite those numbers, the studio is reportedly developing a sequel.

Full article here.

I'm not sure where this "people are cooling off to superhero films" comes from. Thor did far higher numbers than I was anticipating and First Class did respectable numbers. One film doesn't make a pattern, it just means that for whatever reasons that one film didn't do very well. If we go forward and all or most of Captain America, Amazing Spider-man, Avengers, Dark Knight Rises and Superman flop, then we might have more of an issue.

As it is, I suspect this is a case of a franchise that has failed to launch itself properly.
    Current Ongoing Pull List

She Hulk . Ms Marvel . Daredevil . Hawkeye

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexjholt View Post
    As it is, I suspect this is a case of a franchise that has failed to launch itself properly.
    Or was given too big a budget (particularly for promotion, 125 million) to have any chance of turning a profit.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

afaik First Class is trailing behind all other X-men movies in box office numbers even when it has inflation on it's side, so maybe that's why people say superhero movies might be cooling off, in combination with the Green Lantern box office results, which look really bad imo.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Or was given too big a budget (particularly for promotion, 125 million) to have any chance of turning a profit.
    i read the 100 million for promotion was only for the USA, not counting the foreign promotion. Not sure if that's true, but if that's the case, then the real costs must be even higher worldwide than 300 million dollar.
    Last edited by Ned McDodd; 06-27-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Likes: Astro City, Batman, JL Dark, American Vampire, Fables, Fairest, iZombie, Sandman, Chew, Empowered, Lady Mechanika, Locke & Key, Moriarty, Mudman, Reed Gunther, Skullkickers ...

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It losing money has more to do with poor plotting/casting/special effects/editing
    .... most people have spoken: IT'S JUST A BAD MOVIE (it happens)
    Shhh!! My common sense is tingling!

http://tinyurl.com/WhatICallMyself

Quote Originally Posted by Ned McDodd View Post
    afaik First Class is trailing behind all other X-men movies in box office numbers even when it has inflation on it's side
    But on the other hand, this is a film which lacks most of the headline characters and all of the headline actors from the rest of the franchise. Lack of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman alone probably accounts for some of the difference - as a launch of a sub-franchise I'd expect it to have smaller box office. I don't claim to be a studio executive or anything, but to me the performance seems solid given the circumstances.
    Current Ongoing Pull List

She Hulk . Ms Marvel . Daredevil . Hawkeye

I thought this year couldn't be topped in terms of big superhero releases. Next year has Supes, Batman, Spidey and the freakin' Avengers. That's pretty much the mainstays of both companies, all in one year. And Ghost Rider.

Hopefully the public at large isn't losing steam for the genre. I'd rather watch a bad Green Lantern attempt than another reboot, sequel or remake of an old film.
    Last edited by HitechLolife; 06-27-2011 at 03:19 AM.

afaik First Class is trailing behind all other X-men movies in box office numbers even when it has inflation on it's side
    Well with this film the series has made almost a billion dollars in profit. So while the film isn't doing as well as some of the other films it's still an insanely lucrative franchise, especially as they now know they aren't beholden to any one actor or theme.

2007 Mutant League Champion

It will only premiere in Brazil on August 19th, so Green Lantern's box office race is far from over.
    Claudio Pozas
    www.enworld.org/Pozas

BANNED

Thor was first so it had the benefit there.

X-Men had a director with a great reputation, and good reviews and good 'word of mouth'. (not to mention the general public is more familiar with X-Men than Green Lantern)

I would say that Green Lantern might suffer from the cosmic stuff -- most (successful) superhero movies to date are street-level or at least 100% Earth-bound -- but how does that explain Thor, then?

I dunno...we'll see what happens when Captain America releases.

afaik First Class is trailing behind all other X-men movies in box office numbers even when it has inflation on it's side, so maybe that's why people say superhero movies might be cooling off, in combination with the Green Lantern box office results, which look really bad imo.
    I think the reason First Class isn't doing well is because people dont want to risk seeing another terrible movie after the messes that were X3 and Wolverine. I suspect First Class will have respectable DVD sales.

Green Lantern? That movie simply got negative press combined with word-of-mouth that I think killed it. The movie isnt as bad as some reviews are making it sound, but bad reviews + a so-so movie usually dont do well.

I doubt people are cooling off superhero movies though. I say wait until Captain America, The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises come out.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

BANNED

This is what happens when market research forces the utter DUMBING-DOWN of a "blockbuster movie's" script. By trying to appeal to people with single digit IQ's, with the intent of casting the widest net for audience dollars, you end up alienating far more people than you end up attracting. Hopefully, DC will have learned it's lesson, but I doubt it.

As to the Superman movie and trying to gain a synergy with the comic book series, one would think that they would put a really fine artist on the Grant Morrison Action Comics series. But no, they've decided to go with a mediocrity in Rags Morales. What the HELL is wrong with: Diane Nelson, Bob Harras, Dan Didio etc???????? So Grant Morrison pens the BEST SUPERMAN STORY EVER in "All Star Superman", and DC can't come up with a better artist than m***********g Rags Morales?!?!!! This is clearly Geoff Johns' writing envy rearing its oh-so-ugly head.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I think the reason First Class isn't doing well is because people dont want to risk seeing another terrible movie after the messes that were X3 and Wolverine. I suspect First Class will have respectable DVD sales.
    While X-3 was iffy, it was the highest grossing X-Film $459,359,555 and Wolverine did a respectable $373,062,864, so I guessing the other movies might have helped First Class in the long run. People will see anything with a X on it.

Green Lantern? That movie simply got negative press combined with word-of-mouth that I think killed it. The movie isnt as bad as some reviews are making it sound, but bad reviews + a so-so movie usually dont do well.

I doubt people are cooling off superhero movies though. I say wait until Captain America, The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises come out.
    I agree on all points.
    Destiny's Child - "If" - Here

Elder Member

Depends on your definition of "doing well." It's been in theaters less than a month and has made almost as much as Wolverine made during its entire theatrical run.

I've heard multiple people, none comic fans, say they thought First Class was the best xmen movie.
    I haven't seen it myself.