Page 489 of 668 FirstFirst ... 389439479485486487488489490491492493499539589 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 10009

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I'm not parsing your logic here at all.

What useless unproductive laws? These are brand new laws that are being passed with apparently the sole purpose of punishing poor addicts.

I have no idea where you're with your statement.
    I think he's talking about laws against drug use.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I'm not parsing your logic here at all.

What useless unproductive laws? These are brand new laws that are being passed with apparently the sole purpose of punishing poor addicts.

I have no idea where you're with your statement.
    Recreational drugs, by and large, have been illegal for a long time. This whole 'War of Drugs" is a fool's game. Those are the laws I'm talking about. You have those, the new laws you're referring to likely never come up in the first place.
    Last edited by Rob Thompson; 03-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Like break an existing law.
    What law are they breaking?

And can we stop the insurance/medical strawman (not talking to just you). It's inapposite. Getting a card that allows you to get food for your family is not the same as obtaining private health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    How is somebody who smokes a joint on the weekend more of a liability, insurance-wise, than somebody who engages in a somewhat risky activity such as mountain biking, or whitewater rafting?

Or somebody who doesn't do any of those things, but goes home and drinks a six-pack and orders in pizza every night and doesn't get off the couch until it's time to go to bed?
    Have you never filled out an application where you had to list your habits as a part of getting employed? Where you fill out the questionnaire that asks if you smoke, how much you drink, do you do drugs, etc., then sign it saying you swear all your answers are correct and accurate?

What law are they breaking?
    Are you being serious?

Have you never filled out an application where you had to list your habits as a part of getting employed? Where you fill out the questionnaire that asks if you smoke, how much you drink, do you do drugs, etc., then sign it saying you swear all your answers are correct and accurate?
    I can't recall with 100% accuracy, but I'm pretty sure I've never been asked any of those things as any part of an employment agreement.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

I can't recall with 100% accuracy, but I'm pretty sure I've never been asked any of those things as any part of an employment agreement.
    I have, but only for a summer retail job at Books-A-Million. I foolishly thought they wanted honest answers, so I didn't get a call back.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Bloody hell no, that would be monstrous for every job I've done.Were I a lorry driver, or a doctor then perhaps but working in an office, then no. It's an infringement of privacy and just a tad scary.

Good place to work! Course, if I'm remembering right, you also aren't in the US, are you?

Are you being serious?
    I'm 100% serious. It is not illegal to have drugs in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Bloody hell no, that would be monstrous for every job I've done.Were I a lorry driver, or a doctor then perhaps but working in an office, then no. It's an infringement of privacy and just a tad scary.
    It has to do with the cost of insurance in the colonies.

I'm 100% serious. It is not illegal to have drugs in your system.
    Good luck. I've arrested a lot of people where that was part of it.

It's a US thing.

You know, land of freedom, opportunity and individual liberty: but I'm not going to hire you because you eat cheeseburgers and drink beer and I don't want that medical liability on my insurance plan.

most every job application I have filled out recently (say in the past two or three years) asks about smoking and/or druge use
    Support your local roller derby league

Good place to work! Course, if I'm remembering right, you also aren't in the US, are you?
    No, I'm not. Employment agreements here tend to not be quite as intrusive and controlling as they seem to be in your country.

Which is how I like it. Just because somebody is paying me for 8-10 hours of my time five days a week, doesn't mean they own me. As long as I turn up on time every day and get my work done to a reasonable standard, that should be the end of it.